Train Set Suggestion: New York Central Heavyweight "20th Century Limited"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by The RWBY Railfan, Dec 9, 2020.

1. The RWBY Railfan

The RWBY Railfan New Member

960 Miles in under 18 hours. A snake with a black head and a green body racing alongside the Hudson River. A roaring fire that continued to burn until arrival at LaSalle Street Station. A passenger list with high class celebrities like Coco Chanel and Gloria Swanson. That is the 20th Century Limited.

20thcnyc.jpg
    The Century at Grand Central in the late 20s. Note: Observation shown above is an earlier 3-2 OBS and not the 1-1 SBO Observation listed below.

What the Super Chief was to the West, the 20th Century Limited was the East. Catering to high class and business passengers traveling between New York and Chicago, the "20th Century Limited" is one of the most famous passenger trains in American, if not Railroading History. Frequently at the head of such consists was the Central's most recognizable locomotives; the Hudson. Many (including myself) consider the Hudson to be the icon of New York Central steam, a class in of itself that sadly is now only remembered in the history books and models.

Train Simulator has a nice array of steam locomotives in game, including items like the FEF-3 by Smokebox as well as the K4, however there seems to be a significant lack of 1920s and 1930s era equipment, much less anything New York Central. The Central was a grand railroad much like the Pennsylvania, operating crack passenger and freight trains up until the merger into Penn Central, and then it slowly erased from history.

The Hudson Line does exist on Steam, which was a route for the 20th Century Limited; however the line was electrified. No steam was permitted from Harmon to Grand Central. Harmon is where the NYC Electrics swapped for steam on the way or heading back from Chicago.

Another thing lacking from Train Simulator is Heavyweight style passenger cars. While equipment is present in routes like Kingwood and the B&LE Route, they do not depict general Pullman-style heavyweight sleeper cars as opposed to the commonly used coach and baggage cars. Pullman and his "Great Steel Fleet" of passenger cars once roamed tracks all over the US and to see very little of it in Train Sim is sad to me.

I personally think a small but helpful addition to Train Simulator is the addition of the 1935-1938 era of the "20th Century Limited." I picked this era because its a good representation and a start to include Pullman Heavyweight passenger cars as well as some good New York Central steam before the Henry Dreyfuss J3as entered the picture.

[​IMG]
    This gif of the "Coach Yard" HO Scale 20th Century Limited is a good example of the rolling stock used on the Century during the Heavyweight era. I own nothing. Note; some cars used in the actual consist are not p\resent in the gif above.

TO INCLUDE
    • J1e Hudson W/ 6 Wheel Tender
    • J1e Hudson "Commodore Vanderbilt"
    • J3a Hudson W/ 6 Wheel Tender
    • New York Central 60'6" RPO #48-- Series
    • New York Central D-Class Diner W/ Loading Door #654-659
    • New York Central D-Class Diner #450 (See "Lion Gardiner")
    • Pullman Baggage-Club Combine "Van" Series (Plan 3987)
    • Pullman 6-3 Sleeper "Glen" Series (Plan 3523C)
    • Pullman 8-1-2 Sleeper "Pass" Series (Plan 3979A)
    • Pullman 6-6 Sleeper "Poplar" Series (Plan 4060)
    • Pullman 7-Drawing Room Sleeper "Willow" Series (Plan 3583A)
    • Pullman 13-Double Bedroom Sleeper "House" or "Mansion" Series (Plan 3997A)
    • Pullman 1-1 Sleeper-Buffet-Lounge Observation "Valley" Series (Plan 3988A)

• Like Like x 4
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Didn't even to need to fully read the suggestion to know that this would have my support.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Excellent proposal! It made me realize just how overlooked 1930's era railroading is, not just in TS, but in general. I'd love to see an all Pullman rendition of the 20th Century Ltd. come to Train Simulator, especially if it means we get more North American Steam locomotives!

• Like Like x 2
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

First off, this is one of the most well-written proposals I've seen on the forums. Great job! Reminds me of David P. Morgan's writing. Second, I couldn't agree more, heavyweight cars are some of my personal preferences when it comes to passenger equipment. Love the dark colors with the style of roofline. A Hudson is exactly what we need to go with it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

agreed

• Like Like x 1
  6. The RWBY Railfan

The RWBY Railfan New Member

The inspiration was actually Lucius Beebe and his book "20th Century" although I'll admit I have read some of David's works. Appreciate it :)

• Like Like x 2