Southern Pacific Mt-4

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Built in the late 1920s in Southern Pacific's own shops, the MT-4 mountain type steam locomotives were designed as dual service locomotives, for use in California. These locomotives saw service on various fast freights, as well as the occasional local in their later years of service. For a good portion of their time in active service, MT-4s could often be seen double-heading on the San Joaquin Daylight between Los Angeles and Bakersfield. It was because of this that several of these locomotives were painted into Daylight colors. It was also because of their use in passenger service that many MT-4s received the famed Skyline casing on their boilers. The locomotives were paired with Vanderbilt tenders for most of if not their entire service life. As time went on, however, the MT-4s had been reduced to operating on local freights, and commuter trains out of the bay area during the mid to late 1950s. By 1959, all of the MT-4s were cut up. A sad fate for these heavy haulers. These locomotives, in my opinion, would make for a fantastic edition to Train Simulator, as they are the perfect dual service locomotives for use on any type of route, especially if paired with the right rolling stock, such as some heavyweight pullman's, as well as some reefers, and boxcars. I think some great scenario opportunities could come out of these locomotives, especially on Donner Pass. What do you guys think? Do you want to see the MT-4s? I for sure would. I look forward to reading your guys' replies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Cool. Another Great SP Steam loco. If we got this, we need it with a great route. I'd suggest SP San Francisco or Tehachapi Pass. Also, we could get an updated SP GS series 4-8-4, a 2-8-2 Consolidation, the MT-4, and maybe either an AC-9 Yellowstone or an updated Cab Forward depending on the route. SP freight cars could include PFE Reefers, flatcars with trailers, boxcars, cabooses, etc. For passenger services, the Daylight coaches and/or SP heavyweight Pullman coaches could be included.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

There's certainly a lack of Espee content for TS. Got my vote. For scenarios, one could make excursion type scenarios on the Peninsula Corridor route due to that being their stomping grounds.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

good suggestion again Buynot and you have my vote on this one too!

• Like Like x 2