Automatic Translation Of Subtitles On Youtube Channel

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erg73, Dec 11, 2020.

1. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist DTG Natster

Please, I wanted to ask you if it would be possible to have automatically translated subtitles included in the videos on the Youtube channel "Train Simulator", especially the Railfan TV broadcasts. These are very interesting videos, both in terms of what you see and what you comment on for the entire gaming community. As a TSW fan I would very much like to see them all.
    I have researched a bit and certainly the subtitle option may not come up, as it does in most videos, because of having those minutes of silence at the beginning of the video (where a countdown comes up). At least, it's one of the reasons that Youtube:
    • "There’s a long period of silence at the beginning of the video."
    (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6373554?hl=en)

I certainly do not know if it is due to this or any other cause but I would appreciate it if you would investigate it because many of us could benefit from it.

This is a game that is also sold in non-English speaking countries and unfortunately many of us are not very fluent in the language of Shakespeare.

Thank you very much for your attention. :)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Associating what passes for English these days with Shakespeare's language really made me laugh! Thanks!!
    Having written that, let me add that the translation application you used seems to be way beyond would-be jokes such as that invented by Google.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Surprising, given the international audience for TSW2, that sub-titles are not part of the DTG broadcasts. Excellent idea.

Personally, I believe DeepL is one of the very best publicly available translators.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that automatic subtitling is something YouTube offers. For most small channels it's the community that provides subtitling and translation if desired and accepted by those managing the channel.
    Certainly this is the case for my small channel operating in Japanese and English.

5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Youtube provides subtitles automatically translated using speech recognition technology, and there is no additional cost to content creators. I use them a lot on various channels (not only in English, but also in French or Japanese, for example)and they don't make a 100% perfect translation, but the message is well understood, that's enough for me.
    What I don't understand is why there are videos on the channel that have these subtitles and others don't. In fact, there are many videos on the channel that do have these subtitles available to be activated, for example this one:

Thanks to these subtitles I was able to learn this fantastic tutorial from TrainSim-Matt about German security systems and have had them activated ever since.(Thanks for that Matt, I enjoy the German routes much more since)
    So I was asking the moderators if they could investigate why videos that have subtitles and others do not.
    I hope my message is understood

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

6. oliverbuckland

oliverbuckland New Member

Do you want to make cosmetic translation automatically at the same time as watching the video?

7. leorwondyn

leorwondyn New Member

To automatically translate subtitles, you need to save the video to your computer and process it. You may need to find a separate SRT file to translate subtitles exactly by seconds. And replace the English SRT with your new one. You can do this even online with the easy editor movavi.com. But first, find a way to save the video to your computer. Try SS before youtube in the link and press Enter. I hope this download is allowed in your country. Sometimes YouTube closes access to such pirated downloads.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022