Dovetail Appreciation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by BunkerRabbit759, Dec 14, 2020.

1. BunkerRabbit759

BunkerRabbit759 Member

Can we take a moment to appreciate their game and the content they add. Sure, the TSW 2 has its bugs and flaws, but they do a great job when its all said and done. Sometimes I get really annoyed with all the negativity about what they can't deliver, versus all the things they do deliver. You can't blame them for using the same sounds because that's all they had access to. Their community communication is top notch in my opinion, with the streams and active community managers (thanks Sam and Matt). I absolutely love watching any streams with Sam, because he's lively and energetic (he makes a great partner with Matt in my opinion). They do a ton of streams and answer peoples questions to their best extent. They listen to comments about bugs and fix them when they can. They have a solid game, lets not forget that, and they don't make empty promises anymore. They can't give everyone everything they want for free, but they produce a lot of content and let you choose what you want. Stop complaining about how their are no steam trains and focus on how we have a French high speed route. No matter what you say, they have a great game.
    Let's give some appreciation to the TSW team.

Thanks Dovetail and its employees

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 43
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I completely agree! Too much negativity. TSW2 is a very impressive simulator. I am very excited for the LGV route.

• Like Like x 13
  3. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

The complaining of late is getting really petty in my view... and it seems once one person does point out a legitimate concern, then several others dog pile on trying top each other on their criticism of DTG... loosing the original legitimacy of the concern...
    but I do hope DTG gets fluffier clouds and hires some lumberjacks since that seems to be the latest beef on the forums... let’s forget they have developed some tech to help provide longer routes, have coded complex safety systems on a well modeled train with line side signaling working well, taliking about not seeing the forest because of the trees...

Anyway I tip my hat toward DTG, Keep soldiering on, the improvements and the efforts you are making are appreciated.

• Like Like x 23
  4. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

TSW 2 is a improvement and with the new tools u can make your own busy scenario... alot of things in life takes a long time to make good.. il be real.. I'm always on the LIRR route.. and the more u drive the route the more u want improvements. But overall.. thank you DTG for your hardwork and keeping going.. and look forward on what everyone will have in store in the future... but I will always complain about the lack of service lol so show the LIRR some love :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I used to be one of DTG's (more so their predecessors Kuju/RSDL/RSC) biggest critic and even got myself in trouble over at UKTS with my outspokenness to the point where I took the pistol rather than face the firing squad! However while they aren't perfect - no software developer is - they do seem to have matured considerably and TSW2 has certainly hit the spot with me. I would still hesitate to pay full price for some of the content but I already have two or three items eyed up ready for the Steam sale.

At least they are developing core content for the game unlike N3V who occasionally pop out a reboot of Trainz which tends to be more of the same, prettied over but with none of the simulation elements users keep asking for. They (DTG) also seem to have got better at communicating with the customer, this forum is a good example of that.

So yes while I'm not one to gush or fawn, they do get a cautious thumbs up from me.

• Like Like x 6
  6. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The game is great and the communication as well but they can't handle it in an optimal way at this point cause the amount of pending corrections is similar to the amount of potential improvements to develop, as acknowledged by themselves in the last stream. So if they grow in terms of efficiency (more lumberjacks as said before) then yes I would agree.

Solving errors had been a bottleneck during years. That causes the frustration in users and that leads to negativity. It's not that forum is full of haters but that there's a real problem in the game as many content is rushed into market. You can reproduce many of the bugs in less than 15 minutes of regular gameplay of a regular player following the scenario instructions or the standard procedures for the train, so this basically needs more testing before releasing, faster correction times and better traceability so if a problem is fixed on a GP38, so to say, it should be also fixed on any other DLC containing the same implementation used on that locomotive as well and updated in one go, no matter if that leads to a 25Gb download every month.

So I really appreciate the good mood between creators and fans, I honestly do, but don't forget that we are also customers and total game content rises to more that 600€ as of today. So we are not talking about a minor investment here. Never forget that. So yes, some things need to be said on the forums and yes, some things need to be changed on DTG as well.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  7. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

It's much easier to express the negatives than positives. Many people complaining on the forums actually really enjoy the game and that's why they want to see it improved. There are also some who only complain and bash just for the sake of it and they often ruin constructive conversations.

Me? I love the game, I spend hours in it and still want more. The immersion is amazing and I'm very thankful to the devs to be able to play it. It's definitely my favourite ever and my money spent on it shows that. Nevertheless, most posts from me on this forum emphasize what is bad and could be improved, not what is already well done. Yes, there are bugs and there is some rushed content, both a bit more common than I would like, as well as lots of missing possible improvements. But lets be honest here, the game isn't actually "completely ridden with bugs, broken and unplayable" something I keep hearing from too many others. People love to exaggerate. No game is perfect.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I have expressed a lot of unhappiness with certain aspects of TSW 2020 / TSW 2, which I think are legitimate expressions that DTG needs to hear.

That said, TSW 2 looks fantastic, the graphics (in the most part) are excellent and the game has brought me hours of entertainment at a very reasonable price point. DTG on the whole do a superb job at bringing trains to our living room and I really appreciate them doing so.

Things can certainly be improved and DTG is well aware of this. The future is looking good. I can’t wait to see what core improvements are made, what new routes get released and what Adam’s team can achieve with the content already available.

• Like Like x 4
  9. JeffFromTheIRS

JeffFromTheIRS Member

I adore the livery editor to be honest. Sure, it's a little rough around the edges, but I can't wait to see what other features they're planning to add to it after the Preserved Collection compatibility.

• Like Like x 1
  10. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I also like the game and I try my best to actively support it with errors reporting and my purchases. That's why I claim to have a quality output for its cost.

I enjoy it a lot as well. But that's different from ignoring that the same root problem has been here since years and it only grows. That other games are also full of errors as well is not an excuse to rush content because that's a consequence of the customers accepting the situation as the expected playtime in most cases is less than 1 year before player parks the game and takes another one. And even in that case we are talking about 10 times cheaper titles than this one.

Matt and the team decided to bet for an ambitious project full of details. Nice, cause this is what I also want as customer. I just want to see the proper actions taken to allow that the concept reaches the expected quality level for its total 600€ selling price and not that they understand it as a new 30€ DLC added to the list every time with the quality of a 30€ development but not debugged or that the older DLCs are forgotten and not even tested for instance as new sales are more important, as happened with the preserved collection. This is what is not acceptable in my opinion.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I know I’ve had my moans, particularly about the number of bugs and fixes required but I would like to say that I appreciate the communication with users via the forums, the streams and the roadmap and also the fact that they do listen to peoples’ comments and concerns.

Thank you DTG.

12. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I have had hours of enjoyment from TS2021 mostly problem free, I cannot say that with TSW2, there is no such thing as negative comments if you are a developer and they come from your customers who are the most important part of your business.
    If a customer purchases a item and they are not happy with it they have every right to make their views known, they are not moaners and any self respecting company would not dare to describe them as such.

Mike

• Like Like x 5
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It certainly isn't perfect and I have several "complaints" but overall it is an enjoyable and immersive experience and for me that is the yardstick.

Often these threads start with a complaint which starts ballooning, others pile in and then the thread becomes bitter and I think removes the focus from the original complaint, it appears to become an anti-DTG slanging match which presumably isn't the intent of the original post, apart from the odd threads which I suspect are started with that intention in mind.

I do think DTG haven't helped the situation with long periods of radio silence but that has certainly improved over the last six months. I do believe criticism is helpful to developers but I think some of the threads turn quite nasty and the original argument gets overshadowed.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying the game, not having any major problems. But I realize that some people are having serious issues and their criticisms and frustrations are legitimate and completely understandable and they have every right to express them on the forum. However, there are a small number of threads that could be fairly described as trolling and unfortunately many members have chosen to "feed" them and thereby perpetuate their hostile and sometimes unpleasant and offensive content, which is exactly their authors' purpose. Let's encourage fair and honest criticism, while "starving" the trolls.

• Like Like x 4
  15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Even if with a bit of shame, I admit I'm part of the lumberjack movement for the LGV, and sometimes I tend to get "a bit carried away" by some of those "discussions"...I have to agree as well, TSW and especially TSW2 are the reason I got back into train simming, which I mostly stopped after the good old MSTS days (even if I racked about 1000 hours in 8 years of TS20xx), it has just the right level of in-depth technical stuff to keep me interested and the awesome graphics really help with the immersion, now I have to wait for the Series X to be on stock again to start enjoying it at it fullest :), even if they made some mistakes IMO overall I think DTG did an awesome job with the game and most af all listening to the community for some fixes, the 185 AFB I still remember it was fixed thanks to the community for example... and for that most of all I'd like to say thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

There are aspects of the game I don't like BUT there is no need to go into detail here. As a consumer I have the choice as to whether to buy it or not which I choose to purchase. For desktop software I do get a lot out of it, I think overall it is good. It must be disheartening for the devs to put in the hours and read the forums when they take a hammering.

Seasons greetings to all at DTG (love the streams with The Colonel and The Professor together with Adam's roadmap updates, they were a great innovation) and all who frequent the forums, stay safe everyone.

Graham

• Like Like x 6
  17. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

i agree with this thread in its entirety

• Like Like x 1
  18. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

it s not because the game works better than OMSI 2 that it is good game.

All critics if nice built are good to hear and to take into consideration

19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Up till now I played TSW2 331 hours. This should say enough. There is a lot to do and to enjoy, despite that I really believe quality can and must be improved.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Up till now I played TSW2 493 hours

• Like Like x 2
  21. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Last night I completed an all stops Leeds to Manchester service and it was brilliant. it is only about the 3rd service i have completed without a crash of unreal engine, in 73 hours. Things are looking up, i am currently working through the long list of suggestions from DTG in answere to my ticket.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. BunkerRabbit759

BunkerRabbit759 Member

I agree, the streams are great

23. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I just received my first dose of the new Covid vaccine. It’s been a crazy nine months at work and there’s nothing like getting in the virtual cab to melt my stress away. Thank you so much, DTG.

• Like Like x 4
  24. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

I have all the DLC in this sim 403 hours played. like the streams love how sam always has a way to to break the sim;)