Old Mastery Back Again

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Trenomarcus, Dec 15, 2020.

1. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really like and support the idea of Mastery, but for me, the implementation is flawed. There are already reports of it not working reliably (as in TSW 2020) and the rewards aren’t necessarily worthwhile. Hopefully the reliability issues can be resolved quickly and some better rewards offered otherwise people will definitely lose interest and the time/money to develop it wasted.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2020
  3. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I did a run last night on SKA in the Talent 2 for the tier 1 challenges. When I completed the run, I checked mastery and nothing had updated however, I’ve checked this morning and they have now updated and it shows SKA tier 1 as complete.

Think it’s just a bit slow on the update.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Interesting, I've just checked again and now Mastery has updated. Good to see.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

On TSW2020 I found it didn't always immediately update. Usually updates after restarting the game. But I'm guessing things will be a bit slow initially on tsw2 but really hope it doesn't become problematic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m putting it down to it being a new feature to TSW2. When the driver logbooks came out on DTG Live, they were slow to update at first but got better over time.

• Like Like x 3
  7. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I didn't have to restart for it to update, but it did take some time.

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I ran a few services last night and when I checked, Mastery had not updated. But as others have all ready stated, it had updated overnight. Signed into my profile and had forgotten about the driver’s logbook and was pleasantly surprised to see you could review the TSW2020 mastery. Not that any of that stuff is important to me, but nice to see they made both available. But 97 pages in my log book... better not let the wife see that :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Is there a way to stop the mastery popup whenever I start the game? I'm not interested in it. :o

• Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sign out of Dovetail Live. The other features, like the log book, will also stop working though. It’s an all or nothing thing I think.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Very sad!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I did a service on the bakerloo line from quenns park to elephant and castle and it didn't count either. Mind you I have not done that service at all yet. I guess they didn't check that it actually worked. Heck when I had tsw2020, it didn't work for me either so I don't know if I should be suprised. Hopefully it works when I play the game again later today

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  13. eighty.aitch

eighty.aitch Member

How come the market scenery is the same for all 3 routes? Feels like a backwards step especially when the scenery was unique for TSW1 mastery.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tallboy7648

DTG seem to take a step foward but then find some way to take two steps back

15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s specifically a Christmas market too. What were initially referred to as German Christmas Markets when they first started appearing in towns and cities across the UK. Still very sausage-heavy these days too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tahar_bej

Tahar_bej Member

With the winter event it is funny it did register that I comleted a service but for the distance driven it didn't register a single km

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. tallboy7648

That's quite baffling

18. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

It's just a way to gather lots of data on who's doing what on the game.

19. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Aren't they gathering that anyway? That's the how I think, not the why.
    ( but apparently it takes a while for the data to filter through so we get a bunch of messages saying that its not working ;) )

20. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Well, it makes finding good Currywurst a lot easier for a couple of months, and buying excessively large blocks of Fudge is also an excellent thing too.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Yes, my 'achievements' all appeared the following day. I was surprised because in the first LGV stream (I don't think it was the one yesterday), they appeared as soon as Matt finished the service he was demonstrating. But it was probably a 'dev' build :).

22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think mastery is improved a lot. It is more balanced what you need to do to gain a reward, though the first tier is very much targeting the livery designer. I might prefer to get access to a shunting area in the scenario planner instead ....

For TSW2020 you had to do a lot of work to get your reward (e.g. upgrade your route XP 10 levels, play 5 scenarios and so on) I think it is now a bit the other way and made just to easy into my opinion. I don't agree with the complaints that it is mostly route based. .It is OK you do not get all rewards, part of the fun is that have something other people do not have ... and you are free to try something new, like playing a route you think you will not like.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Thanks for saying that Rudolf. You've summed it up nicely and I agree completely.

24. hightower

hightower Guest

I agree. It is actually better than last time, although it’s still a clunky and past progress still doesn’t count. Why?!

The UI is still poor although at least you can access (the largely useless) Mastery page without having to reboot the game this time. A positive. Given that, I really don’t get why they’ve chosen to force you to look at it during boot up though.

The really odd thing is that having released Mastery just a few days ago, the new route following hotly on its coat-tails doesn’t have Mastery as part of it, so when it does get it, you’ll have to replay stuff again. Utterly bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  25. tallboy7648

Mastery is working for me now which is cool but I find the rewards sorta pointless. I mean the fact that new dlc won't get mastery when they come out is quite baffling. Really Dovetail. That makes no sense