Tscontrollers

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jamy, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Stumbled accross these today and wondered if anyone had taken the plunge and if there anygood. Might have to purchase one as soon as DTG get there act together with the controller update

http://www.tscontrollers.co.uk/index.html

2. mark.anthony.henderson

mark.anthony.henderson New Member

Looks nice. I could not find the product in the bottom video on the website.

3. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Go to alanthomsonsim.com. You will find TS controllers on sale there (some still in development). I have the AWS plunger works fine on ts2021 and TSW. Most of the hardware is for TS2021.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  4. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I would love to have these; but they don’t work for TSW2 on console.... :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Your right. These are for PC. But this is PC discussion thread.

6. Rail Runner

I am well aware of that, I was just making a nudge at any potential Dev looking at this thread to see if they would potentially make any adjustments for them to be able to add these to console. If not then maybe Raildriver?

• Like Like x 1
  7. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I'm speaking from a position of very little knowledge. But I thought that the reason that Raildriver didn't work on consoles is that the software needed to run it doesn't run on consoles. If RD does become natively supported by TSW2 then the additional PC-only software won't be there and theoretically it could work on consoles? Similarly, so could TS Controllers maybe? (Okay, maybe a bit more complicated with TS Controllers because they won't all have native support within TSW2 unless DTG get really enthusiastic about them, depends how they implement the joystick direct-input). Still, possible though?

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The "software" in question is a driver, basically a translation program that reads inputs from the device and tells windows how to handle those inputs and send the controls to the program in question
    This would mean that TSW2 would need to have inhouse drivers and access to the USB ports on the console in question, or have APIs between the console OS and TSW, which I am not sure it can

• Like Like x 1
  9. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Fair points ARuscoe. But on Windows, Macroworks sits between the USB low level drivers and TS1. TSW2 doesn't need Macroworks and the consoles have their own low level drivers for the USB ports presumably. But yeah, like you say, that doesn't mean it work necessarily work.

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Depends on if it has native incremental throttle controls or not. The raildriver buttons are easily mapped via ASCI controls, but the throttles and incremental brakes are the tricky part to map. On a keyboard you have "up a bit, down a bit", whereas on throttle it's "go to 63%"

11. josh_the_tech

josh_the_tech Active Member

I bought both the AWS Plunger and the Door Control Panel with built in DRA and it's completely revolutionised my TS2021 and TSW2 play! Especially on the Bakerloo line, it makes opening the doors and keeping to time so much easier.

Plus if you have a Rail Driver or a HOTAS and TS interface for TS2021, it just makes it so immersive! I can't wait to be able to use the latter with TSW2 eventually, or the upcoming combined throttle/brake that they're creating!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I have been looking at that door controller with DRA. Opening doors annoys me in TSW and that button panel would be pretty good. afaik, none of the trains in TSW have DRA yet?

13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It is probably doable to create your own. E.g. you may use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board. If it can behave itself as a keyboard, you can send commands to TSW. The only disadvantage is that it will be not much more responsive that a keyboard. Once the API is there, you may try to connect to the API. Probably it would not be much cheaper than buying a raildriver, but it may be fun to build.

14. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Or like when people buy old airplane cockpits. You could buy the front off a Class 66, connect it up to an Arduino and maybe one day it will be usable in TSW2.

15. Rail Runner

I was thinking the same thing... on console there are keyboard controls (not for everything), but I was thinking that if there was a way to have the Keyboard and then remove the keys and rewire the Buttons onto the keys which open the doors and operate DRA. Surely a Micro Switch would work just as well as Mechanical Keyboard?

16. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

‘You could buy the front off a Class 66, connect it up to an Arduino and maybe one day it will be usable in TSW2.”
    This.