Locomotives

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fizpix, Dec 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

I honestly think if we could get like all kinds of locomotives such as a SD70ACE does not have to be one with a railroad just locomotives that have no decals that can be used on any route that also can be customized

• Like Like x 2
  2. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

i just remembered we may not be able to due to licensing

3. rodgers.jayshawn4848

rodgers.jayshawn4848 Active Member

We need a SD70ACe for CSX Sandpatch Grade. The 4831-4850 ones

• Like Like x 2
  4. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

If it would be just in the gray blank livery designer canvas, there would be no licensing issues since there are no logos involved.

5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

But there could be licensing issues with EMD.

6. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

there may not be any we have the GP38-2 and SD40-2 made by EMD so there would be no issue right?

7. Lamplight

I should have been clearer in what I ment. I believe that GP and SD are covered as far as licensing goes as CSX intellectual property (they own these locos on these liveries and that is what can be found in the licensing agreement). If you don‘t have that license, then EMD could (to my limited knowledge) sue you for using their locos (as you now no longer have any license).
    You will note that no loco in TSW has any manufacturers on them: The AC4400CW and C40-8W don‘t have their GE markings and the DB Br 182 doesn‘t have its Siemens markings.
    Bottom line is this: You either need the license from the operators as the locos they own are their property or you need the license from the manufacturers as the loco itself is their intellectual property. Stuff like this was discussed when we compared MSFS licensing vs TSW licensing in one of the big threads on it.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s not true. If you needed a license from the train manufacturer without using the train operating company logos you would also need it with them. Painting a logo on a locomotive does not take away the manufacturer’s rights. As it stands, without putting the manufacturer’s logo on the train, regardless of any other markings, you do not need a license. You could enter into a license agreement with the manufacturers if you wanted to, as it may give you access to some additional resources, and the right to use their logos, but it isn’t required.

9. Lamplight

I was under the impression that the reason you don‘t have licensing problems with the manufacturers is the fact that you have the operator‘s license. If what you say is true, I‘m happy to stand corrected:)

Now that I think about, unbranded routes would be a lot more of an issue if what I said was true. So you‘re probably right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

If that is the case what about that in timetable mode when you are selecting a locomotive it says who it was made by