Train Sim World 2: Raildriver Support

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 17, 2020.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Alongside the release of LGV Méditerranée, we have provided an update to Train Sim World 2 on Steam that adds in our first beta version of RailDriver support.

[​IMG]

Read more here!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  2. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

Hi so far i am enjoying the rail driver but i believe a step further could be implementing a mapping feature i know on the ICE or BR406 the wipers and lights turn on at the same time and would like to know if there is a way to change it. Other than that its good!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

This is a great early present to have some use of the rail driver looking forward to trying it out over the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. masse2

masse2 New Member

Hello It is a beta version and really I was surprised by the ease of installation immediately recognized by the computer (Windows 10) and ditto for the calibration which is done without difficulty Really a plus Remains to be seen the possibility of changing the assignment of the buttons.
    Nice work thank you
    Jean Pierre

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Thankyou! I bought my Raildriver some years ago (used off eBay) and it transformed the TS1 experience for me.

- As other posters have mentioned; please can we have the ability to map buttons? I'd like remap them so they match my TS1 buttons (I'm lazy and don't want to have to keep switching the labels)

- Can we invert the axis per train. Eg. the DB trains throttles have 0 at 100% and 100% at 0

- The PZB, LZB isolation toggles arn't working as toggles. As soon as you release the buttons they switch off again.

- PZB release, PZB acknowledge & PZB Befehl are mapped reverse to what we're used to for some reason - it keeps throwing me!

Oh and its great to be able to open and close the doors from buttons at last :)

Many thanks, Steve

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It is nice, but a lot of money. I probably will go for a wide screen and TrackIR first. Maybe next year ....

I just checked, availability in the Netherlands is low. We may need to organize a collective purchase.

7. crrispy

crrispy Member

Good news and a HUGE thanks for this. Where can we find the buttons map?

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

EDIT - OPERATOR ERROR - who would have thought the calibration order for a particular lever would not be following the sequential lever positions.... :-(. All is working well now.....

Just a quick question on peoples experiences with the calibration on the rail driver. All calibration seems to work fine except for the dynamic brakes or the upper brake range of the throttle. The full throttle and idle calibrate just fine, but rhe position for dynamic brake set-up or brake 1 calibrates as full brakes which turns the top red dot of the calibration screen green, leaving the set-up position red. He results is you have full braking or nothing.

I went through the calibration process for Macroworks, the Drivers for both 32 and 64 bit TS2020 Ana’s well as the calibration process for Cobra One and all recognized all four calibration positions for the throttle, while the TSW calibration on recognizes the 3 positions mentioned. Just as an aside, the combination throttle works fine in Run8 and TS2020.

Will be putting a bug report but was just wondering if anyone else noted this situation.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. mauviel#3692

mauviel#3692 New Member

Thankyou Dovetail! I have been hanging out for this! What a wonderful Christmas Present! Really impressed with the plug and play interface. A buttons map would be great. Looking forward to it being available on all routes and trains.

10. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

i dont have a raildriver

but i want one now

• Like Like x 4
  11. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Working pretty good in beta,
    DTG may be aware of this. If not, just a heads up then-
    Whilst in "calibrate" or in game I cannot get the RD indy "Bailoff" to be recognized. Which is achieved by pushing the bailoff lever to the right+hold on the RD. It only bails off in release which is incorrect.
    TYVM for the addition of the RD, much appreciated!

12. LeadCatcher

Have to admit, was not a fan of the Bakerloo route, just too tedious with keyboard, probably because I am not a big fan of subways. However, having a blast on the route now I can use my raildriver... much better control and immersion over the keyboard.

The beta is working well.. just need to get some consistency on mapping the buttons. For example, on the Isle of Wright route the left and right arrows on the D-pad open and close doors, while in the 1972 stock, those controls are mapped to buttons. Hopefully in the full release of this driver we will be able to map these ourselves.

Thanks for getting this feature out before the holidays.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Andraz

Andraz New Member

Does this also include other external hardware support?

14. Michael Newbury

At this moment only rail driver no other external hardware at this point.

15. samdestroy

samdestroy New Member

will there be printing labels for the raildriver buttons or do i have to make my own?
    btw it works pretty good so far

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Michael Newbury

Gave my rail driver a try out on Sand Patch Grade and what a difference it made found it easier to get going and maintaining speed. One small issue I had was when putting the train brakes into Min Reduction if not put in correctly, it would put it into release.

Other than that good work DTG this sim just got better with the use of the rail driver now.

18. samdestroy

samdestroy New Member

i hope i can use the raildriver in the rapid transit addon some time soon :)

19. Steve Davis

Steve Davis New Member

So I for one am REALLY loving this! MSTS didn't have real "RailDriver Support": you needed to run MacroWorks. Same with TrainSimulator 2020, 2021, etc. Don't get me wrong: that still worked much better than not having it. But it is SO refreshing to see DTG to step up with true native RailDriver support, joining 2 other good train simulators.

I do agree with many others that it would be ideal to have the ability to map our own keys. I think it could actually save the Devs work as more locomotives gain RD support: perhaps the Devs can default map the main axis (lever) controls, then release the support with all other keys unmapped and let the users develop their own? For example with Train Simulator 2021 I use the same basic template for all my locos. Might seem a stretch: what's the commonality between a German electric loco and a US diesel? You'd be surprised. I simply map all the keys the same, except if a given loco doesn't support a feature, e.g. a US loco not supporting PZB, then I just leave that key unmapped for that loco. That way I can use the same "legend strip" for all. Just a suggestion.

For a Beta this is really great IMO. No real show-stopping bugs. Some key mappings seem to be incorrectly labeled in the UI or don't work, but that is nitpicking and if we could map our own that would solve all of that and take the burden off the dev team.

To me this ONE enhancement has moved TSW2 up to prominence in my sim collection. THANK YOU DTG for listening to the community! :)

-Steve Davis

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. andyverrall

andyverrall New Member

My RailDriver works very well indeed with no real problems. I certainly agree this has enhanced the simulation in TSW2. Well done guys and thankyou, just a bit of a shame its taken so long! Similar view to some as to whether the P I Engineering Macroworks can be used to enable individual users to program/map the blue buttons themselves.
    Hope we don't have to wait to long for phase 2 which I assume will enable the remainder of the locos etc in work in TSW2.
    Andy V

• Like Like x 1
  21. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Oh, so this is where the action is. I was posting bugs on the steam forums, thinking that's what Sam meant when he asked to report bugs on the forums :)

Anyway, first and foremost, BIG thumbs up for this, finally - controller support to make it a real sim. Also, it's already better than the support it had in the old trainsim, which required cobraone's 3rd party utility to work properly. This just works right away and is 100% responsive, which is awesome.

Bugs I found so far:
    The 423 - the horn gets stuck on when you move the lever down (low note), while moving the lever up doesn't work at all.
    The 442 - pretty broken for me, the sifa doesn't work (button makes pedal press three times but doesn't cancel the alarm and train applies emergency brake), the wiper control puts on the lights as well while the lights control does nothing.
    The 406 (ICE train of the Cologne route) - lights and wipers get activated together from the wiper switch
    The Bakerloo line 1972 stock - the throttle controller is not well calibrated for the raildriver lever, requiring putting the lever in the awkward "in between" spot to coast, could be better - as it is on other trains, it's pretty much spot on perfect on the TGV for example

I'd also suggest an option to flip the throttle controller for german trains, so the lever on RD would move as the actual lever in the cab does, forward to drive and back to brake. I vaguely remember Sam talking about something in one of the streams - are there plans to make RD controls customizable in some way, or is it to remain rigid? Either way, I'll take it, I'm still just glad just to have any kind of support for now :) Now give us support for the rest of the trains DTG :p

• Like Like x 2
  22. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Also just now found another one: if you load into the middle of a service (by using the "load last checkpoint" option) the door buttons stopped working on the 442 (they still worked fine with the mouse)

23. ulf

ulf Member

It's great that we can use Raildriver for some locomotives. I have the same bugs that jayzhead writes about, but better than nothing at all.
    When will we get Raildriver support for more locomotives?

24. Michael Newbury

More support will come in the New Year for the other locos

25. ulf

ulf Member

That's good news :)

26. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Well I was finally able to try out my RailDriver with TSW2 today and I have to say I'm quite pleased, it worked quite well. I was especially happy to see that it doesn't do the "in between" notches on the throttle like it does with TSxx, that always really annoyed me.

Couple minor things I noticed, the horn only worked for me if I push the horn lever forwards, not backwards. Also on the GP-38 I had to put the throttle lever in the transition spot between power and dynamic brakes to get the throttle to go to idle, when I push it forward to where the idle position should be it stays in notch 1. It worked fine on the AC4400. I didn't get a chance to try the SD40-2.

Thanks DTG for finally making this happen, and thanks for putting something out that works well out of the gate.

27. philipp.helmer

philipp.helmer New Member

Thank you very much...
    however, there are still some minor bugs to be fixed. I would like to assign the buttons to myself as I need them.
    Unfortunately some trains are still missing (BR155 ... etc). It would be a lot of fun to be able to drive with it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  28. Crystal Noir

Crystal Noir New Member

Hi,
    First of all, thx to support Raildriver. I wait for this since the begining...It works but there's some problems and issues. I know that is a beta version that's why I'm going to let you know what I have seen. Congratulation for handling it without any gateway like Zusi does.

- The calibration should be tweak a bit. When we calibrate the raildriver the levels does not match the picture in term of "deadzone". It make the raildriver very sensitive.

- I don't know why but for the GP38-2 in timetable I can make it work but in "journey" mode, on one scenario (the first or second I doesn't remember), the raildriver doesn't work on that loco.

- In some routes/loco, wiper and light are mapped on the same rotary switch

- In some situation for the light on/off are inverted (Off is on and vice versa)

- The calibration is not exact. Full throttle doesn't give 100% for example but 94-96 % of power. I tried several calibrations methods but it doesn't work well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  29. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Is the intent that DirectInput support be added together with this (ie "soon"), or is that going to be added at a later date? (hopefully the former...)

30. mikeh2021

mikeh2021 New Member

I have purchased TSW2 and tested the Rail Driver today. Oddly enough, it didn't work well with TS2020 (the throttle and breaks were jumping from 0-100% in no time, but it works with TSW2 (thanks guys). The only problem I have it is not very sensitive to get to 0, say I put the throttle all the way up to 0 on the controller but it is stuck at 1 in the game (especially if it is a slow movement, if it is fast it is usually but not always ok). Another problem - every loco has somewhat different button map, it would be great to have some uniformity and perhaps a printable maps.

31. mikeh2021

mikeh2021 New Member

I had an opposite problem - it's difficult to get throttle to 0 (stays at min). My Raildriver's throttle and break do not work in TS2020 but do work in TSW2.

32. LeadCatcher

I wouldn’t expect the raildriver to work in TSW2020 since it isn’t supported and TSW2020 isn’t being updated. TSW2 is the successor to TSW2020. - all your DLC from that sim now works in TSW2 (except NEC) so unless DTG reverses themselves on what they have stated Raildriver will be for TSW2 and forward.

• Like Like x 3
  33. mikeh2021

mikeh2021 New Member

The RailDriver website is claiming the hardware is compatible with TS2020 (not TSW) with RailDriver's app running. (TS2020 is an old game but I keep it not to loose a lot of DLCs, including many freeware ones, that are not portable across to TSW2. )

34. LeadCatcher

TSW2 recently released beta support for Rail Driver natively. In TS2020 you need to use either PI Engineering drivers or another driver such as Cobra one. The beta support so far is for the TSW2 released content. The preserved collection which is the DLC brought forward from TSW2020 is not supported yet but hopefully will be in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  35. John S

John S New Member

Thanks DTG. A few issues are still there, mostly reported, but at last there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I am still having issues with multiscreens, but am not entirely sure that this is related to controller issues as there's no logical reason why it should be.

Having said that I've just spent an hour down in the murky depths of the Bakerloo, and the Raildriver has literally transformed the experience.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Finlay

Finlay Member

Will this ever be able to be used on console ?

37. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

No, because a new version of Raildriver built for xbox would be needed

38. Michael Newbury

At this point and time it is only for PC

39. Michael Newbury

Actually all it would probably take is for drivers to created for the console.

40. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's the problem, as far as I understand, you can't download drivers on a console, they would need to be built in into the device itself.
    The only option I could see is putting something between the old RD and a console, a sort of "adapter" but I've never seen anything like this before.
    Anyway, whatever it is it would require P.I. Engineers to do something, which I find highly unlikely, also from a RD owner playing on console, please, don't give me hope.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  41. StratPlayer62

So I've spent some more time using the RailDriver with TSW2. I can't get the independent brake to bail off in the SD40-2, the AC4400 and the GP38-2 work fine. Anyone else having this problem?

Also the Dynamic Brakes for the GP38-2 needs some serious work, it is VERY hard to control the brakes, the slightest movement will take you from notch 2 to notch 6 or 7.

Also, and I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm sure someone out there knows, even though the controls show notches 1-8 for dynamic brakes, I don't think there are actual notches on a real locomotive, it is just an infinite control with indications of 1-8 unlike the throttle that has actual notches.

42. LeadCatcher

Many dynamic brakes are notched - depends on the locomotive. I had a problem at first with the dynamics on the rail driver until I realized I had calibrated that lever incorrectly. You go from max throttle to min, then to max dynamic to min dynamic...I had just calibrated in linear path - max throttle, min throttle, min dynamic then max dynamic. Trust me, you go from set-up to max very very fast :). Calibrated correctly and all worked fine.

43. StratPlayer62

Thanks, I will try another calibration.

44. Baku

Baku New Member

Goodday happy to see this raildriver implementation even in bèta. It will be a most usefull addition to the simulation.

Some observation on the raildriver beta for Train Sim World 2

In general:

I hope in future the functions of the buttons will be more consistent than it is now. For instance door controls allwayse on same buttons if applicable.

Sandparch grade

On the sandpatch grade loco's the raildriver does not work if started from the journey mode.
    If started from the time table mode it does work. I noticed in journey mode the loco are designed as ie GP38-2 in the timetable it is GP38-2yn3b, suggests they are different loco's
    The function PZB override has not business on a US loco.

Isle of White

Basic controls work ok except the close right doors button which does not. The D-pad door controls are ok.

Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen

No problems on the basic driving controls

Bakerloo line

No problems on the basic driving controls

Brgrds

Jip Bakker

45. LightningPORTO

LightningPORTO Member

In my opinion, this launch was a great disappointment.

I have heard on several streams "we have the tech, we just need a UI artist" "We have tested it on different hardware" "You will have access to all of the simugraph stuff for clever implementations".

I know, this is a beta, I know its a work in progress ( although I don't see it in the road map as development for additional hardware ), still a disappointment.

I have a custom controller in planning just for this game, I really want to build it...

• Like Like x 2
  46. Ross NCC1701

Ross NCC1701 Member

Having contacted P.I. Engineering, they tell me that Dovetail would need to access the Xbox API and that P.I. Engineering do not have anything to do, they just make the controller.

So, obviously, there is some misunderstanding somewhere. I would like to see Dovetail and P.I. Engineering start talking to each other. As a software engineer myself, I do appreciate the complications of adapting something like the RailDriiver to the Xbox but, with the availability of the Xbox Series X, rail simulation on consoles deserves the effort I think.

So, how do we get Dovetail to consider this?

• Like Like x 2
  47. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Hah, that's interesting, I don't think we can get DTG to consider this TBH... more than talk about it here in the forums there is not much we can do... at the end if they decide this to be worthwhile they will do their best to do it.

48. Ross NCC1701

Ross NCC1701 Member

Indeed, I suspect you are correct. I was hoping that someone from DTG would read this and at least tell us if they do plan to do anything. If there is a better place to make sure DTG see this, I am happy to copy it there - but I have no idea where, other than via technical support - and from experience I usually just get a simple reply from them on these sorts of subjects.

The point is that, during the live stream concerning RailDriver, DTG said that it was up to P.I. Engineering to make it available to Xbox and they urged us to contact P.I. Engineering. I have done that, and P.I. Engineering say it is up to DTG to make it available. So, unless there is communication between the two, obviously nothing will be done even if the work involved would be very little.

• Like Like x 2
  49. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Having never even thought about buying or using a Rail Driver, simple curiosity leads me to ask where those who do use one put it. For example, do they move their keyboard out of the way temporarily?

50. Michael Newbury

I bought a stand for my keyboard so that the keyboard sits above the rail driver, and when not using the rail driver I can slide it underneath the keyboard. Keeps my desktop clean and free of a mess.

• Like Like x 2