Train Sim World 2 - Dynamic Duplex

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 17, 2020.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

TSW2 LGV Social Assets In_game_loading_screen_Out_Now_ENG_1920x1080.jpg Take the controls of SNCF’s flagship High-speed unit, the iconic TGV Duplex, and feel the excitement of luxury French high-speed with the new LGV Méditerranée: Marseille – Avignon, available now!

Read more here!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
  2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very good explanation of the background of the development of the Duplex in real.

It's so nice to drive the 93 km in 30 mins. Nice landscape (even it's not a 100 % copy of the real landscape), very nice stations and very well moddeld Duplex.

The TGV is an engineering masterpiece. It was so impressive when I saw the first TGV regular service action on TV in 1981. It was the breakthrough of real passanger high-speed in France and in Europe. Even the HST 125 could not compete. And our German ICE starts his regular service in 1991 first.
    Thank you so much DTG for giving the opportunity to control the TGV in TSW2.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I need an advice. How to reset the brakes after emergency braking of a TGV train? Thanks for the anwers.

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Q worked for me

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

Are there any non stop services to Marseille Saint Charles from Avignon and back to Avignon or do all services call at aix en provence

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard CZE

Thank you for answer. I play on PS4. What exactly does the Q key turn on? I need to know the procedure in the cabin of the locomotive.

8. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Really pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of details, features and functionality DTG has implemented in the TGV, well done!!!
    Just wish the ICE 3’s will someday get updated to reach that same high level of quality.

• Like Like x 3
  9. JAAK

JAAK Member

The TGV is amazing. So many details and functions.Fantastic Job!

• Like Like x 2
  10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

You can plug a keyboard, anyway I think it resets VACMA, should be one of those 20201218_111234.jpg

11. Richard CZE

Thank you very much for the information.

12. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

federicodiliberto2001 (or anybody else who feels spoken to): how about that mediterranean feeling of the route now that you're able to play it instead of streams and screenshots? Would you say it feels a bit less as a forest than before? ;) I'm thinking about giving it a chance as the TGV looks too good to wait for a sale, especially on xbox... :)

I remember the time when this route was released for MSTS back then. The model of the Duplex was mind blowing and the route set a whole new level of quality back then :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Well-Known Member

I love this route! Well done DTG! It runs smooth on the Xbox One X, and the TGV is so much fun to drive and the landscape beautifull. The sounds are the best, very realistic like the real tgv. Love to see more LGV/TGV routes in the future. Im looking forward to the UK HST route!

• Like Like x 1
  14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I don't know how to feel... the TVM although fixed seems strange, maybe it was me reacting badly but still, just alternating between 320 and 300, 270 and 230 etc... if you follow another train

*Edit - what's been written after this edit might be something specific to my system, I will try to figure it out tomorrow

The route in some area feels a bit forest-like but you don't notice it because the only thing you notice is all kinds of scenery popping in front of you because of the drawing distance and forests of flickering trees that flicker until you get really close. Tunnel portals spawning when you are 100m away so you just see missing terrain in front of you...

I really do like this route, the part around Marseille is gorgeous and the route itself it's not too dreadful, although in some places definitely feels a bit too cold and forest-y but it has other much worse problems... I am really gutted for this route.

If you are on PC go for it, on console not so sure...

https://gameclips.io/FD1003/acc69edf-807b-4a34-a6a0-435023a01e12/embed
    Look on the right hand side... it's really annoying (the FPS drops it's just me opening the xbox menu not the DLC which runs great actually)

The TGV itself is good though.

You have enough information to decide for yourself right now I'm just gutted because I really love everything about this DLC, a part from the whole route, so do whatever you want, I am just praying that SE HS won't turn out like this at all, it really feels like coming back to playing TS grapichs-wise. But it's my fault for playing on console, I have a PC and yet I decide to play on xbox... if I could transfer my TSW DLCs to PC I'd do it in an heartbeat.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

How do I activate the Crocodile safety system? The switch described in the manual is not working for me - can't be turned. Do I need to deactivate some other system first?

16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s not currently active. They couldn’t get it working reliably so disabled it for launch.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Thanks, but then they should take it away from the manual, it's just confusing right now.

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Those trees really shouldn’t be flickering like that. Have you done a bug report for it. I can’t report it as I don’t have the DLC, and don’t know the full details, of where and when it occurs but it looks really bad.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It occurs everywhere those trees are present, strange... for what's worth I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling both TSW and LGV, if it turns out to be something related to my system that would make me very happy

20. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I figure it is system related indeed, but not in a way you are suspecting it or in a way where you could do something about it on your hand. I am suspecting that responsible for this flickering are the mipmap settings of the tree assets. Basically this is something like LOD but specific for textures. This provides that a high res texture isn't loaded immediately but only at short distance so that the video memory usage is reduced. If those settings are correct the player doesn't notice any difference in it - like you can't read a cars number plate from several hundred meters away, so much detail is not needed in a video game as well.

But these settings are quite complicated to adjust (at least used to be in my MSTS development times) especially as I would suspect UE to configure them automatically. While it should be possible to override them manually this would be necessary for every single affected tree asset which needs to be identified in first place...
    With higher graphic settings on PC or next gen consoles this could be done automatically since not so much memory reducement is needed.

(Btw: I am experiencing this on ECW on xbox as well)

• Like Like x 2
  21. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yep, I did a full reinstall and a complete restart before trying again and the trees are the same.

Also I've spent more time on the route and I would finally like to tell you "how I feel" now that I have an answer.

I still think the route is worth getting, even on console, at the end I thought a lot about the possibility of a refund but I still couldn't bring myself to do it, even with all its flaws it's still, actually quite enjoyable to run, although it's not as good as SKA it is different enough that keeps me interested, especially the area between Marseille and Aix-en-Provence is wonderful, then after that you just kind of wait until you arrive to Avignon, but the speed management and the fact you can't rely on the selected speed like you could rely on LZB in the ICE makes this route more interesting to drive than SKA if you look at the tracks and not at the trees.... in my opinion.
    I was thinking about posting a list of suggestion in the forums but then I though I already talked too much about LGV these days...

Also the track work and the TGV itself are top notch.

There are some things I would like to see improved, especially the trees and the drawing distance of some objects at least for SE HS.

This route just wants me to have more French traditional lines more than anything, a full route similar to the Marseille area would be just fantastic

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  22. WildHankDavidson

WildHankDavidson New Member

Hey there
    Does anyone knows how the couple/uncouple procedure works? Found the coupling lever on the right in the cab, but couldnt figure out how exactly to do it right.
    Thanks for Help

23. taybarker20

I think you have to be in the middle cab for it to work

24. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

You have to open the coupling doors manually from outside, is what I have found from playing around with this.

25. taybarker20

If anyone wants a non stop service from Marseille it’s the 19:43 which is a secret service that doesn’t show on the timetable

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Against my better judgement, I bought the LGV route as a Christmas gift to myself since I wanted some TVM action. I did very much enjoy the DLC at first, especially in the Marseille to Aix-en-Provence stretch of track. The lighting might be off and the ballast colour wrong, but the gameplay is interesting and scenery is very well-detailed. However, I was massively disappointed for the rest of the route. The scenery is honestly a joke, and at times I felt like I was playing the old default MSTS NEC route. I got awful stuttering every five seconds or so (though this isn't necessarily the game's fault as I am running with unsupported settings) and I did not feel like I was in the South of France.

The TGV trainset is actually very good and probably the highlight of the entire DLC. The cab and coach interiors are nicely detailed and the running sounds are excellent. That power switchover outside of Marseille is also a neat feature. However I can not stomach $27 for this route at least with the current level of half-baked scenery detail. I have requested a refund from Steam. I would not recommend this DLC until it is heavily discounted or the TGV trainsets become available for use on other routes. As it stands, I think that it is worth $15 at most. I will save my money for SEHS. Hopefully that route will have more thought put into its scenery as I truly do love using TVM.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

On the high speed section I have noticed the TGV can be powered in both AC mode and LGV mode. What’s the difference between the two modes, and are both supposed to work on this line?

28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

France has several different power modes including 1.5Kv DC, 25Kv AC and the TGV lines can be up to 31Kv

29. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

On this route I have completed services using AC mode and other services using LGV, and on the high speed section I haven’t been able to tell a difference in how the TGV works regardless of which mode I choose.

I assumed the train wouldn’t get power if you don’t select the correct power mode on the high speed section, but again both AC and LGV work fine as far as I can tell. Isn’t there supposed to be a difference?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  30. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The honest answer is I don't know, but thinking back to my electronics courses many years ago "you can underfeed a circuit without blowing up the resistors, but you can't overfeed them", so it may well be that "AC" means something less than 25Kv generally and "LGV" means 25Kv or more whereas other trains may only have "AC" so if they went onto a 25Kv system they'd have issues, but the TGV seem to be able to take as much juice as you want to throw at them

31. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Driving into a 25kv section with a lower kv pantograph lifted would fry your train.

32. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The TGV might use the 25kV AC pantos to drive under lower voltages AC. From skimming over the wikipedia page on the french electrification the only two used voltages there are 25kV AC and 1kV DC, it's possible the TGV Series 200 includes an "AC" setting just for commonality with the Euroduplex, but is in fact using the same 25kV components.

If you think about it, there are only 2 type of pantographs on the 200 series TGV, so it makes sense for the "AC" system to share the 25kV panto, and maybe you could technically move using the AC setting, however if that's rated for less than 25kV it could cause problems.

It could also be possible there is a system that prevents the voltage from going above xxkV even if you demand more power.

Edit: translating the french wiki page I might have found a possible answer:

LGV might be used for "2 x 25kV": "This is a slight improvement in the 25 kV supply which makes it possible to further space the substations (up to 100 kilometers) [...] The current is thus mainly transported at a voltage of 50 kV and by a cable with an electrical resistance lower than that of the rail, which reduces the losses and especially the high intensities of the traction return current. It began by being used on LGVs and is used for new electrification."

So I guess the "AC" setting could be used for the "regular" 25kV, so while it can definitely cause problems if you drive with AC under an LGV line it might not be catastrophic, but I'm no electrical engineer so...

This is from the manual: "Some countries of Europe use the 15 kV AC system (not
    represented in our route), to use this system, select AC from the
    Pantograph Mode control (A15), labelled as M on the desk."

But I believe it's not correct, only the 2N2 (Euroduplex) can operate under 15kV AC.

The only way to know for sure would be to access the technical documents SNCF sent to DTG or to have a response from someone that really knows his Duplex :)

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Richard CZE

Pantographs also differ from each other. The DC pantograph has a wide copper-enriched carbon slider. It is built for a larger flow of electricity. It also exerts more pressure on the contact wire. The AC pantograph has a smaller slider made of carbon-enriched copper. It is not as fragile as a DC slider. The difference between the pantographs is very well visible on the TGV unit. This is a supplement to my power systems.

• Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, there is only a need for at most three pantos for a (hypothetical) loco to run on any OHEP system in Europe, provided each is rated for the maximum voltage/current to be encountered: an AC, a DC, and a special narrow AC panto for Switzerland (restricted by loading gauge, not power supply).

• Like Like x 1
  35. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be pedantic but comparing the HST to the TGV is a little unfair as the HST is diesel. Perhaps you can tell me the fastest diesel ever made? I personally love the HST and have fond memories of it. And wasn't the ICE responsible for the worst ever high speed train disaster? Which was caused by poorly engineered wheels which the design came off of trams?

• Like Like x 1
  36. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, you are both allowed to have fond memories of different trains and have varying opinions about them.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  37. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Quite agree, I just thought the comparison with the HST was unfair as it was a different type. Personally I would take the HST over both of them but that is my opinion.

• Like Like x 1