Tgv Tvm Speed. And Cruise Control.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jeanmarc094, Dec 19, 2020.

1. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

How do you guess the next speed when u have to brake?? when the speed is flashing....and the hud doesnt help. had alot of over speed in my last run. even with cruise control.

2. Maverick_ng

Maverick_ng Active Member

Most of the time the TVM430 gives speeds downsteps like this.
    320, 300, 270, 230, 170, 80 and 0
    When the speeds flash, decelerate at once to the next speed and keep decelerating if the diamond shaped speeds keeps flashing
    If you get a non-flashing diamond shaped speed, then that speed will stay for a while before changing again.
    You have 1500 meters between TVM flags

• Like Like x 1
  3. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I've seen 200kph speed indications as well. You generally need a touch of air brake (~4 bar) to slow down at the required rate - the electric brakes aren't powerful enough (and inoperative at low speed).

4. Maverick_ng

For me the electric brake also uses a bit of air brake to bring the train to a halt too.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Does this mean there is a bug? I don’t have the route btw but the system is supposed to show you what the speed is to slow down to at each flag. You should never have to guess. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that emergency brakes are coming on as soon as the diamonds show a lower speed when the other safety systems are on. That shouldn’t happen unless you haven’t slowed to the speed after the 1500m. Is this what’s happening?

6. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

The table in this page could be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Voie-Machine

TVM is a very "flexible" system with a bit of experiencing/practice in timetable mode master the TVM430 will became pretty simple.
    On console version (after a 1st upgrade) there are no TVM bugs. Maybe just some missing(?) KVB signal inside Marseille area.
    Personally I always use the dynamic brake set to max and when dynamic brake is not enough then I help it with the addiction of the train brake at max of 4 BAR, no more.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Maverick_ng

Even real TGV drivers do this IRL. They know what is the next speed and they slow down even before the next speed shows in the cab and that's to make a smooth slow-down for passengers
    BTW the TVM works always this way.
    Let's say there's a speed restriction of 230km/h.
    You are @ 320, (pass a flag) then the 320 starts to flash you should bring it to 300, (flag) then you get a flashing 300 (flag)
    Then a flashing diamond 270 (means the speeds will be still lower) (flag) then you get a diamond 230 (flag) black square 230.
    That means from the first flag you got 6 kms to reduce from 320 to 230
    Talking about overspeeds, below 80km/h there's a 5 km/h tolerance, between 80 and 160 you have 10 of tolerance and above 160 theres 15km/h tolerance.

8. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

you...learn the route ;) if it is a realistic simulator why do people expect to get it right first time? You learn as you go so when you know the route you know the speed changes. I don't think drivers IRL spend all their time looking out for the signs on the route.

9. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

Is it correct that the cruise control cant keep speed down on the steeper descents. If I set it at 320kph it will overspeed, so I find i set it at 310kph and use the air brakes to stop going above 320. It doesn't seem to react quickly enough and using only the motors to brake doesn't have the power.

10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The speed is always stepped down in the same sequence.

320 > 300 > 270 > 230 > 200

After 200 I’ve seen it stepped down to 170 or 160 (in the 8km tunnel towards Marseille). TSW 2 doesn’t seem to go to 80.

I’m not sure why 170 is 160 in the 8km tunnel (whether this is normal or a bug).

11. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I was using Selected Speed and had KVM turned on but not TVM430. I oversped, didn't catch it in time and got an emergency brake application. First time in the TVG so it had novelty value and unlike with PZB I didn't then spend 5 minutes wondering why I couldn't get moving again :D

12. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I think 170 is the minimum or the lower speed showed by TVM system. And maybe you see 170 within the last part of LGV section (still under TVM) and 160 as you join the traditional line (under KVB). That's my idea.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maverick_ng

The only BAD thing on the route is that THERE'S NO SPEED SIGNS ON MARSEILLE AREA.

14. Maverick_ng

The minimum is 80 for the TVM and when leaving LGV @ 160. Then you should decelerate to 140 to prevent KVB penalty

15. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I mean about our route, I never seen a 080 (obviously under TVM) along the Marseille-Avignon.
    Anyway, as general information its good to know :)

16. Nemo

Nemo Member

Hello !

This is normal, not every speeds are indicated in France (drivers have to remember where they are located). Small tip : use the HUD the first time, remember where the speed limit is and when you can start to accelerate. Then do it without HUD. ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1