Raildriver

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Reece#1586, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Reece#1586

Reece#1586 New Member

Hi all,

Had a little go this morning with the above. Nice to be able to play with levers instead of keyboard buttons.

My Question - what routes/locos currently support Raildriver? I've noticed on my game not all the locos are available to use with the Raildriver.

Would someone be so kind and provide information as i may want to buy additional DLC, but would prefer to play with Raildriver support.

Many Thanks in advance.

Reece.

2. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reece#1586

Reece#1586 New Member

Thank you Natster, will do!

4. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

Hi DTG NATSTER raildriver working great makes playing TSW2 more fun to play. do you plan to add more trains on raildriver in the future thank you

5. stavka

stavka New Member

Hi, exist any way to disable/enable the raildriver usage per loco or totally?
    I still want to use keyboard and mouse as a choice!
    For example the UK underground loco the controls layout is far away from matching from what we have in raildriver layout and its not confortable neither realistic.

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

You can also go into the game settings for the raildriver it will show which locos it supports as of now. Hoping that can get more done and ready in January. I too have been enjoying using the raildriver it has made a world of difference driving the trains.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kazick

Kazick Member

First post here and I'm happy that after 11 years DTG finally adds Raildriver support to one of their sims.

But so far I'm mostly happy with it addition. Calibration was super easy and, as some one who uses the Raildriver extensively in other train sims, was able to dive right in to driving a train.

Until I hit a explainable brick wall. The CSX GP38-2 YN2 and YN3b are the exact same locomotive at their core. The only difference is the paint. So it baffles me that the Raildriver works in the GP38-2 YN3b, but not in the GP38-2 YN2. This also appears to be the case for the other CSX locomotives. Seems that only the YN3b painted ones are supported and it doesn't make sense since there in no difference between YN2 and YN3.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I must say, I am surprised to see you here. Welcome.

9. Kazick

Kazick Member

I don't feel right talking trash if I don't at least get my boots muddy my self.

10. Kazick

Kazick Member

So little update after playing around with TSW2 and the Raildriver today for a few hours.

As I stated in my previous comment, the Raildriver doesn't work with the GP38-2 in YN2. However the speedometer does. This just adds further to the confusion as to why the Raildriver only works on some locomotives of a set type, since again both the YN3 and YN2 GP-38s are the same locomotive.

However, using the Raildriver is such a pleasure. Its very intuitive since I have countless hours using it in other sims such as Trainz and Run8. I also extra like that I can still control my train with it even if I click on something on one of my other screens. This has allowed me to change play lists on Spotify, message friends on discord, and check manuals all while still retaining 100% control of my train.

I even made a short little video talking about it:

• Like Like x 2
  11. basementjack

basementjack New Member

Is there an official thread for discussing raildriver support?
    My feedback so far is:
    1) I'm happy that it's here

2) I notice you're using an analog implementation:fine movements on the raildriver translate to fine movements in the sim - This led to a few problems with the throttle, as it jiggled a bit between idle and dynamic break setup one the CSX loco I tried it with. Perhaps the throttle could 'snap' to those values in engines that have a 1-8 control mechanism.

3) I noticed that the 24 buttons seem to vary a bit from loco to loco - please avoid doing this - it will be hell for people to learn and memorize - try to find 24 decent button allocations that you'd apply across the board so we can print out one template and stick it on the raildriver. Please keep all the top deck buttons to the functions that came with the stickers with the raildriver.

4) nice job on the speedometer!

Obviously we'd love to see wider support for trains in the future, I'd love to see it work with the engines on the caltrain route.

Overall I'm happy this is here, and expect I'll purchase more DLC as a result.

12. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I like everything else you stated, but on this I disagree in part. For functions like views, pause, map view etc, yes standardize those buttons. But since there are variations of features across the locomotive population, I would want those features mapped to the buttons. For German locomotives PZB functions mapped consistently, but American locomotives do not have those functions but do have Cut in / Cut out switches which should be mapped.

I would hate to have only one button mapping for all locomotives missing a lot of the unique functional that could be mapped. Yes standardize on common functions and make consistent assignments for locomotive specific function across those groupings ( I.e. German , North American, etc ),but still assign the one off functions that make sense for each particular locomotive.

Since I use Raildriver for Run8, TS2021 and TSW, swapping the button titles is not a big deal. What would be probably be best is to allow the user to map functions themselves so they can customize the button assignments to their hearts content.

13. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The *plan* was that we would have a UK, US and German base file and then do customisations per loco - such that you could indeed have your PZB controls standardised but not present on US locos.

I'm not sure how successful that's ended up but that's kinda how it's been done - something we'll review in the new year along with other feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I bought the BR 363 yesterday and just tried it (first time that I've found a tutorial quite tricky...)
    I only remembered to use the RD halfway through the tutorial and found that 1) stavka - until I used the Raildriver, the keyboard controls worked pretty much as I'd expected. 2) The RD controls seemed more intuitive for the throttle. That is, with the keyboard the throttle seemed to work normally, with the RD it worked in the quirky 'BR363' way (so maybe that should be less unitive!).
    Loving the BR363 so far, and using the RD with it. Will take me a while to get used to those brakes though.

15. masse2

masse2 New Member

Hello and Thank you Matt
    I see that you have already worked a lot on RailDriver and I am sure you will help improve it
    Thanks again
    Jean Pierre