Arosa Line: Why The Rhb Ge 4/4 Ii?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by dreampage, Dec 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

When I first got to know that the beautiful Arosa Line is coming to TSW 2 I was very happy. Seeing the line in Train Simulator I thought we'd get the same experience with the RhB ABe 8/12 Allegra train, which is an awesome looking, modern vehicle. Yet I'm disappointed to see that the TSW 2 version will come with the much older RhB Ge 4/4 II, which is a completely uninteresting locomotive for me. I simply don't like these old models and were hoping for the modern version.

I don't know what the reasoning behind this is, as the RhB ABe 8/12 has been in service since 2009 so it would only be logical to include that one, or at least both so we could choose. But with the route arriving only with the old 4/4 I won't buy this route. This is a disappointment for me, I thought Rivet Games would include the current train on this line and I was really looking forward to this Swiss route.

Even more annoying is that even Rivet Games' own Arosa Line add-on features the Allegra, while TSW 2 players will be stuck with the old 4/4. This I feel is especially disappointing.

So as far as my suggestion goes I'd like to see the RhB ABe 8/12 Allegra on Arosa Line in the future.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think it's because generally some of the older models are more liked (155 and 143 for example) because they are more interesting to operate, maybe they looked at the sales figures and saw the 155 sold better than the 182, maybe they figured the Re 4/4 II is diverse and unique while the Allegra would be no different to operate than a BR146, as an owner of the route in TS2020 I have to say the Allegra is really not fun nor engaging to drive, just set speed control and off you go, I, for example am happy that we got the older 4/4 II Cabina Re 420 LION.jpg
    That to me is more intriguing :)

• Like Like x 9
  3. dreampage

I prefer more modern trains so for me this is disappointing. I hope that in the future the Allegra will be added for this route, until then it's a pass from me. Shame, because I was so looking forward to this one.

• Like Like x 3
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I completely understand your point of view, and I don't want to even try to argue since it's subjective, just wanted to give a reasonable explanation of why the might have decided to not go with the Allegra

• Like Like x 1
  5. dreampage

I know and I also don't argue with those who prefer the older trains. :) I just wish there was an option for all of us. I checked out the website of the Swiss railway company and it's beautiful (the route, not the website lol), and very exciting to see the ultramodern trains on it. Since I'm from a country that's very much behind the times, most trains here are ancient, and I don't like those. Hence I prefer to drive modern trains in TSW 2 to experience and look at them at least in-game.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm actually happy we get the GE 4/4 II instead of the Allegra.

• Like Like x 8
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's the opposite for me, Italy right now is in the process of acquiring a huge amount of new trains (Rock and Pop) to replace the older units, so while I can see many of the features of those newer trains reflected on the german stock (mainly the more modern 422), because you know, standardisation. I would love to have a bit of older locos to remember the old days of when I was a little kid, even the 155 is too modern! I want some old school 1960s DC/rheostatic locos. Jokes apart I enjoy both modern and older (1960/70/80s) locos but I prefer the older ones just because they are usually more quirky and engaging to drive, although I can enjoy some ultra modern TVM/LZB/AFB stuff as well

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This! Yes I know I'm a dinosaur but the Allegra just seems like another modern plastic train compared to the older RhB locos and stock. Certainly on the TS20xx version of the route and indeed the Bernina line, I would much rather drive the GE 4/4 II or the older railcars.

• Like Like x 3
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The train that’s coming with it looks to have more character out of the two. It’s probably more interesting to drive too, if every other modern vs old train comparisons are to go by. Modern stuff is okay but it’s not as good as the older stuff. I’ve turned into my dad.

Also, Rivet know that a lot of potential customers for this will already have the TS version so having a different train will give those people something new if they decide to buy the TSW2 version, increasing the chances that they will.

• Like Like x 4
  10. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

It would be nice if both were available. :)

• Like Like x 5
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Considering the amount of RhB content Rivet made for Train Simulator, I wouldn't be surprised if the Allegra ends up as a seperate loco DLC for the route, or perhaps part of another route.

• Like Like x 3
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

If Rivet don't include the Allgera with the arosa line, then I will not buy this route. I am not a fan of old trains either as well. I do own the arosa line in ts2021 and it has the modern train which I enjoy driving very much so I don't understand why rivet couldn't put the Allegra into tsw2. Hopefully they can include both trains with the release of the Arosa line to satisfy both parties :) If not I will not get the route and I'm not gonna spend $20 on a train that should've been in the route in the first place

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Perhaps a locomotive offers more possibilities for shunting, freight and passenger services, as well as more flexibility for substitution, compared to an EMU.

• Like Like x 7
  14. dreampage

I don't think there are freight services on the Arosa Line, it looks like a purely passenger service up into the Swiss mountains. I think the inclusion of the older train is purely a design choice by Rivet Games. I understand that some people prefer it to the Allegra, I just voiced my opinion. I will skip this route for the time being, then, but I will definitely buy it if the Allegra comes as an add-on for it (then I'll buy both). So it's not like I completely boycott this route, I just don't want it until the modern train is available. I would be the happiest if both were included, but the Roadmap says otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the Train Simulator version of the Arosa Line has freight services, mostly operated by the Allegra though.

• Like Like x 4
  16. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Hope we will get freight too. I like it if a route is not passenger or freight only. I make one exception: Pure high-speed routes like LGV and Shinkanzen, because these routes are for high speed train use only in real too.

17. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's intresting that all the trains rivet games have made for tsw2 have been old trains. The DB BR 204 (1980). The class 483 (1938 tube stock) and the RHB GE4/4 II which 23 were built between 1973 and 1984 so I guess Rivet perfer old trains for tsw2. They do need to strike a balance with modern trains though at some point

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not really being interested in Swiss trains, I was going to skip this one. But whenever I see a tap changer, I feel a strong urge to buy:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. gregorby

gregorby New Member

To put that clear:
    For the first: Yes, there is freight on the route irl. They have the goods supply for Arosa, the cement or gravel or what ever factory in Arosa and wood transport that is collectet along the line.
    For the second: The Allegra is definitively not plastic! The level of power and force it offers you, what ever you attach to it, is huge, wether it's four coaches and some freight on the arosa line with 7% gradient or about 12 coaches on the arosa line with gradient up to 3,5%.
    And: the picture shown above is not the cab of a Ge 4/4 II, which is a Thyristor loco btw.
    So I personally like the both trains nearly equally.

• Like Like x 2
  20. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

It looks like an Re 4/4 II - the Standard Gauge version run by SBB (and a few others)

IIRC the Ge 4/4 II is more common on Arosa than the Allegra, usually working in push pull formation. That said the RhB is currently having a clear out of the older coaches and they've been adding more Capricorns to their new stock order.

I also wonder if Abula might get remastered when the new tunnel opens (The Albula Tunnel has structural issues, so a new parallel tunnel is under construction)

21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The RhB moves lots of freight over the Arosa line. Far more services than passenger runs, in fact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

That wouldn't surprise me - for a lot of places in the high mountains freight usually goes by train as road access is difficult for trucks, could be a pallet in the baggage car, a wagon on the back of a passenger service (very common on Swiss Narrow Gauge) or a dedicated train.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I'm very excited for the route, especially how the section between Chur Altstadt and Chur Bahnhofsvorplatz is represented, where its basically a tram.
    I also wonder If there will be off the Rails Mode in scenario designer for this route, since it is 1m narrow gauge, so its a different thing than the train wouldnt have any power irl, it wouldnt fit on the tracks.....

• Like Like x 2