More Save Slots Need To Be A Priority

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Dec 23, 2020.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

With the large number of routes now available for TSW2 (I just added two in the Steam Sale) it is slightly ludicrous that we can still only have one save game slot (AFAIK) for the whole game.
    I wanted to get a back and forth S-Bahn run going on HMA but at the same time see what MSB has to offer but I cannot save on MSB without it overwriting my HMA (or any other) save.
    At a minimum we need one save slot per route, preferably more.
    IMHO this should be one of the priorities going forward into 2021 when we will get even more great routes like Arosa and Cane Creek added to the collection.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Not to mention Steam Cloud saves, please.

• Like Like x 2
  3. hightower

hightower Guest

Amen. This, 1000%.

4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes definitely, in TS1 you could have a save on every route. A lot of the time saved games don't work on TSW either.

5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. The save functions in both MSTS and TS are better than in TSW2.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  6. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a save per route, but to be fair, saving in the original and current TS is a hit or miss affair which is dependent on the amount is scripting is being utilized in the particular scenario. On many scenarios I am involved with as a beta tester, saving will almost guarantee signal failures or AI problems because of the heavy scripting used.

So with the addition of number of saved slots, a more robust methodology toward maintain state needs to be devised as well. More saves of dubious nature would be disappointing in my view.

• Like Like x 6
  7. OldVern

The only route I've had real issues with is Bakerloo where more often than not the scenario objectives etc. simply fail to reinitialise in the top left corner.

8. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I dont think this will work. DTG didnt even get the saving function to work properly, so I highly doubt that they are capable of doing more then 1 save slot.

9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I haven't bothered saving for ages, to be honest, not in TSW2 but I read that the problem is still there. NTP was the one I always had problems with on TSW1 and I think WSR too. I gave up bothering in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

Oh I agree the save mechanism itself needs some love and ISTR this is on the roadmap? Come to think of it WSR in TSW1 was notorious for losing the save integrity when trying to resume. However with runs on many routes in excess of an hour and the desire to keep a timetable run going, I stand by my original assertion - each route needs its own save slot and yes a more reliable algorithm to save and restore the state of the run.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I save very frequently (because my driving's so bad :)) and apart from a glitch on Köln-Aachen (which is now fixed), the only problem I've encountered is with the LGV route, where resuming from a save loses TVM (and I've been unable to restore it).

12. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Saving not working right I personally experienced just the other day at the end of a 2 hour Sand Patch Grade scenario. Had to quit playing and save because wifey needed me for something. Later on when I came back things were not exactly as they were when I left off earlier. In my case the rear locos started misbehaving without me noticing at first, and from there, everything went south, and fast. :/

I remember similar things happening when TSW first came out, years ago, and it it's unbelievable this has not been fixed yet. I try to avoid saving, knowing there might be issues, but with long scenarios, you really need to be able to. 1 save per scenario should be allowed, minimum! This save corruption business not considered being game breaking, still being there all the way back to 1st release of the game, is something I have a VERY hard time to wrap my noggin around. I'm not just disappointed, but actually a bit mad about it. Things like these need to work, period, end of story, just frecken do it...please!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

I've found the same. Today I was working a scenario in Sand Patch Grade. Having come to a stop as requested on an uphill section, I saved it. Later I resumed the game and didn't have enough traction to get the train moving again. On investigation, I found the banker locos were not contributing any power. The settings in all locos appeared correct and 'banking' was on in the lead loco's radio. It took a lot of fiddling with controls in the lead banker loco before the banker group magically started working correctly. I don't think the game initialises properly when resumed.

However having said that, it was great fun trying to control the wheel slip. The physics is now quite something!

• Like Like x 1