"do You Want To Give Up Control?"

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I still have no idea why this dialogue box appears, especially after you have uncoupled cars. I mean I am following the activity and done nothing to go against it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Happens every so often. Last time it happened was just a few hours ago on Sand Patch Grade, and just as you said, all I had done was to uncouple some cars. No big deal, but slightly annoying and yeah...why?

• Like Like x 1
  3. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I do not understand the need for it, just annoying.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I believe it's triggered when you leave the driver's seat and do not move your train for a certain period of time. The game engine thinks you have stopped playing, or you're stuck. It's on the roadmap to change the default answer to NO, but the dialogue will remain.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

They should set the timer for slightly longer then. I exited the cab if an AC4400, ran out, ran all the way to behind the 2nd loco, uncoupled, ran all the way back...and still got the message, and I was NOT gone for long!

6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

It's 2 minutes of not being in the seat. Ideally, i'd prefer it to just be something you command rather than it popping up every couple of minutes - but that's all we have at the moment. If it was every 5 minutes, it'd take frustratingly long to let go of a service back to AI so it's a fine balance of convenience really currently.

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

For me, the issue isn't so much that the pop-up keeps appearing, but its the fact that around 50% of the time it never shows up, to prompt me to give up the service. I try everything from sitting in different seats, to walking far away from the train, however the pop-up simply does not appear.

In rare cases, if I give up a service and drive another train, the game will still think I am on the other train and award me points, despite the AI having in fact taken over and driving it.

• Like Like x 9
  8. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

For me its a feature, I need it! (for recording purposes)

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

An easy workaround is to stay in your seat and use the flying 8 camera to uncouple cars, change switches etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

And how do you propose to setup trailing locomotive(s)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

For me I attempt to set up the trailing locos before I even get in the cab to start the scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

Control-plus and control-minus move you from seat to seat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Exactly. Add this command to the "open/close doors" pop-up box (opens with TAB key) and every player can give up control when he/she wants.

• Like Like x 1
  14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

This could work but on console this then means being forced into classic controls or having a keyboard connected. There needs to be a universal option.

Disable the options in the pop-up for 2 seconds to avoid accidentally leaving the service or default to no like the roadmap says. In some games you need to hold a button down instead of pressing it to confirm.

15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Anyone who has tried loading the tankers in the Oakville route will know how much of a game breaking pain in the neck this command is. It’s on the roadmap to have it changed from defaulting to YES to defaulting to NO to avoid leaving a service you are doing by accident, almost inevitable when having to press (and sometimes hold) X on the PS4 controller up to 100 times to complete loading the tankers, and if you are holding X when the pop-up appears, it’s service over, as you have inadvertently pressed X for YES on the pop-up. It’s so fast you hardly see the pop-up before it’s game over.

It’s on the roadmap but not yet done, despite it ending services all over the place. The Oakville journey is all but impossible to complete due to this one thing. It’s therefore a game breaking bug and should have a higher priority for this one simple fix. The pop-up would still be a minor annoyance but would not end services.

16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The joy of TSW is being able to get out of the cab and walk to the other cab or to uncouple cars or just to have a look at something, so this is a big dealbreaker issue really. Yes, you can use keyboard shortcuts and other cameras, but the whole point of TSW is you are a person in the world and have the freedom to roam.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

yeah but the train has to be on time :)
    so that is why it asks
    but yeah an option to disable it would be fine
    and then just let the AI take it over without asking :P

18. solicitr

This is most often an issue with freight services, especially shunting, where there is no timetable and no particular hurry.

19. johnrossetti

johnrossetti New Member

Doesnt work I'm afraid been sitting in the engineers seat of the class 101 it's now 11:28:16 no message, no take control. very dissapointed.

20. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I like the main idea, but DTG should make a button in the menu, where the player can handover the service back to a.i.

Sometimes in timetable mode i think i rather would go with the train on the opposite siding, or just doing half of the service then walk as a passenger.

In this cases, i just wish we could force a "give up the service" and hand it over to the a.i.
    Dtg could make it the way, that on not finished services, its not possible to get medals.

• Like Like x 3
  21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Agree, let's have it as an option either in the tab or in the main menu - similar to Run 8's "Relinquish Train" button.

• Like Like x 2
  22. roggek

roggek Active Member

There is your problem, you sit in the engineers seat in the cab...
    Then nothing is gonna happen...
    You still control the train...

Try to move away from the engineers seat in the cab, and soon you be aware of the "giving up control"...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I recall there's an Ini command you can enter to stop this popping up (or at the very least set it to something so high it will realistically never pop up), but for the life of me I can't remember what this is.

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's been so long since I've seen this message, I'd forgotten it even existed.

I never leave the cab to couple/uncouple or throw switches, do it all with the " flying camera ".

25. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

26. solicitr

27. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Really still waiting for a control/menu option to manually give up control when we want... I note this thread is now well over two years old ;)

• Like Like x 1