PC Login

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aldarion, Dec 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

From time to time I am asked to log in to my dovetail live account when starting TSW2. Is this normal? Isn't there an option to "remember me". It is very annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

It was a big problem for me in TSW2020 although I haven't had to do it since I first logged in on TSW2. It just seems like one of those things that you have to do unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Same here and I've seen others reporting it as well, would be nice to fix that :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Not a problem from a security point of view - just means your credentials have a time limit - once that limit expires you must re-login. As a security type would rather see any network logon be for ever session and two factor authentication, but I can hear the screaming in the forums now with that suggestion.

As it is now, it is a modicum of security since it will limit the amount of time a hijacked account could be used.

just another point of view

• Like Like x 2
  5. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

From a security point of view I get that. But since I have my TSW2 in oline mode, woulnt it be possible to have a log on when i start the simulator and a log of when i leave it? I mean... steam knows how long I use a game... cant Dovetail do the same in the background? it really is annoying having to write my e-mail and one of many passwords, so many, i sometimes cant remember. this is one more i have to remember. it's just pure 'noise' for a few minutes when all i want is to go have fun for a while... so... time management comes to my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LeadCatcher

Just a quick aside... how would your system know it is you at the keyboard to automatically sign you in when you start TSW?

7. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I mean, I see your point, but this is not a bank account, so 2 factor authentication and such feels a bit overboard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I work in IT, in a normal shift I have to log into stuff with a username and password about 100 different times. All sorts of different usernames and passwords, some of the more secure stuff requires 2fa or even 3fa. Obviously it would be impossible to remember all the usernames and passwords, so we use password managers. This only really applies to PC but as this post is marked PC I thought I'd share my recommendation. Every few weeks when tsw2 asks me to log back into dovetail live, I just use my password manager and it takes approximately 1.5 seconds to type the username and password in for me and log me in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

If it happened every single time I logged in, I might get a tad annoyed with the whole process. As it is now, I only have to do it "every once in a blue moon", and it is not really that big of a deal. It takes but 10 seconds to do so, and that is with my old clumsy fingers. ;) There are definitely bigger issues with this here game, than have to spend 10 seconds log in every now and then.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

Lead catcher.. I see your point... but then again, why do I have an OS with a password or pin? why do I have a steam account wich actually i dont have to log in every time i connect the computer because i have an option to "remember me" (so actually i log in but automatically), like many sites and fora I'm registered in?

• Like Like x 2
  11. LeadCatcher

Checking “remember me” is probably one of the most insecure things you can do on a web-site. But hey, suit yourself, for the past 20 or so years I have run my cyber-security consultancy and the thing I have learned from governments, corporations, small companies to individuals, they all will always pick convenience over security every time ....until they have an incident. I for one appreciate the fact that the login must be refreshed.

12. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

LeadCatcher. Your opinion is quite clear. Actually I can say you're right. I'm choosing convenience over security. But it is a conscious choice. A long time ago I used a password of my own free choosing composed of an apparent random choice of letters and numbers.... until security became tighter and tighter and my password did not have the format desired... and then everything security related in the internet and other aspects of life became a constant nightmare. Since the day I am obliged to choose a certain number of charaters, include characters i never used and have them in in certains orders and positions and case sensite, upside down and have a drop of the blood of a virgin taken on the full moon when it's in the fifth house of acquarious... yeah... I begun to choose convenience. And actually I find it quite unsafe to have password managers.... (i have norton) because of 1 - I dont understand the technology. So if i choose it's a leap of faith. I might has well pray to God. and 2 - well I believe that if anyone hacks into my computer, he can use wahtever else to get a hold on the password vault. So, has usual secutity is has good as the weakest link... so, again, here I am back to convenience, because if I choose security it would be inpractical to use my computer.... and if someone hacks my computer, the least of my worries would be someone entering my dovetail account and mess with my mastery scores... so... "remember option" is an option... and i like having options. May I remind that airport security is also (has truly everything in life) an equilibrium between security and convenience... otherwise it would take two weeks to board a plane...
    But what I really want is also to hear the opinion of dovetail stafff on this...

• Like Like x 2