Doors Opening Off Platform

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Dec 28, 2020.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This has probably been raised before and it's an old issue going back to TSW1.

However would it be possible to give some attention to all doors opening on the side of a train regardless of whether the entire consist is in the platform. This could be due to a short station or an under/overrun of the platform. Particularly with UK stock like Mark One's or the DMU's it looks silly and in real life would be rather dangerous.
    I'm sure in classic DTG TS20xx the door opening algorithm gets it right.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TNH

TNH Member

I dont think the old system was good. Many trains have central door opening system, and in TS, they just didnt open. Also, in TS if you were stopping at the end of the platform, in some cases the doors just didnt open. I prefer the system used in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cloadmcally

Cloadmcally Active Member

A couple of things about what you posted

1) I Agree with TNH, the Ts Classic algorithm was very flawed, sometimes the train was off by a few inches from the markers and the doors didn't open on the last or first car, The Koeln line was a great example of this, as a few platforms had markers set very oddly. Sometimes they just wouldn't open because it didn't feel like opening them.

2) The solution would be to implement a true to life solution - let me explain: The trains that would have a guard on board, as you pointed out some of the UK Trains, the guard would open the doors as needed (LIRR comes to mind) and the trains that have the selective opening function (East costway) the driver should be able to open them as needed (Mind you EC has selective opening but it's limited to all doors in one consist. In germany most lines we have right now run without guard (except ICE services) so the current implementation is the real one: The driver opens all doors, and if you overshoot that is on you really :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

In Britain (not sure about rest of Europe) most trains have the driver/guard simply release the doors, and passengers open the doors as needed via a button on/near the door, so overshooting the platform those doors wouldn't open anyway because there's no platform for the passenger to step out onto, so in that respect both systems are inaccurate.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The LIRR has conductors that open and close the doors in the middle of the train in real life. The driver does not open and close the doors. Maybe having a conductor opening and closing doors can be a solution to this

6. Cloadmcally

That's precisely what I said :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well with slam door stock you wouldn't open the door and try to alight if the vehicle wasn't adjacent to the platform, unless you're an acrobat or an idiot. With power door stock the situation is slightly more complex. At stations with known short platforms, there are procedures in place ranging from Selective Door Opening (where fitted), one door opened under control of the Guard or the train simply does not call. If the train stops short or overshoots then the driver would buzz the guard up and instruct him not to release the doors until (if) the stopping position can be adjusted.

That is for the UK, obviously in countries with low platforms where there is only a short step to the ground that might not be so critical, although on all of our German routes in TSW2 the platforms are the high type.

The fact remains however and I stand by my OP, is that the dynamic of having all doors open on the side of the train regardless of whether at the platform/boarding area is at best inaccurate and at worst plain wrong!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cloadmcally

I do agree with you, the current system is not ideal, but neither was the old one. If DTG were to implement a solution I hope it'll be a well thought out one, maybe by having a read a the great suggestions we included in this thread!