Southern Pacific Pack And Timetables For The Peninsula Corridor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Following up my Chessie Suggestion for Sand Patch Grade, a retro pack can also be made for the Peninsula Corridor, with the idea era being between 1974 (When the GP40P's were delivered) to 1985 (When Caltrain bought new equipment to replace the Southern Pacific equipment).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1976 Timetable:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Locomotives:

GP40P-2
    Southern Pacific bought 3 GP40P-2's in 1974 and came with most of EMD and Espee option at the time (They even considered the Tunnel Motor option as well) and were used on the route between San Jose and San Francisco, SP 3197 was painted in Bicentennial colors in 1976. All three still run today, 2 with the Union Pacific, and 1 on the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SDP45
    Southern Pacific ordered the SDP45 late in the 60's for their long distance passenger trains. After the formation of Amtrak in 1971, these units move to the Bay Area to replace the aging fleet of FM Trainmasters on the Peninsula Commute. Espee had a total of 10 of these units. They were pulled for two years in '78 and '79 due to an order from the ICC, temporarily replaced by Amtrak P30CH's.
    [​IMG]

GP9/R
    About 10 GP9s were assigned to the Peninsula Commute from 1954 till the end of service in 1985, some were bought by Caltrain, and repainted. One of these GP9s still survives nearby at Niles Canyon.
    [​IMG]

Also during weekends, it wasn't uncommon to see the Passenger Locos pulling freight trains along the route.
    [​IMG]

Passenger Equipment

At the time, the SP rostered 2 different types of passenger cars for the route. The SP didn't operate any Cab Cars, and they didn't use Push Pull configurations on the route.

72ft Commute Cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bi-Level Gallery Cars
    [​IMG]

With addition of the Passenger equipment, some period correct Freight cars can also be added to the pack as well.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 19
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So one slight oversight I made, due to the lack of cab cars in this era, it means that locos would have to be turned on a wye at both San Francisco and San Jose, this might make timetables hard to do at San Francisco due to the lack of anywhere to turn locos after ending their service at San Francisco without any route modifications. (Since Misson Bay Yard doesn't exist)
    unnamed.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I want the FM Trainmasters and SD7/SD9s.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Not really a fan of the typical Gilroy suggestions that are made, but this I can get behind. Would bring some interesting types and ops that wouldn't normally be seen, having to turn around whole trains passenger trains at a wye isn't exactly common these days after all. To solve the Bay Yard issue I say backdate PC to the 1970's and make it a standalone route without needing the original. Solves the wye problem and expands the amount of people that could buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Just like a Sand Patch Grade In The 70's pack, I'd buy this one if it got made.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yes please

• Like Like x 2
  7. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Long as it comes with freight services also.

• Like Like x 4
  8. evanm#7382

evanm#7382 New Member

Heck yes, having SP around would make running the san fran area more appealing to me!

• Like Like x 2
  9. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Having just seen this linked on another thread, I'd absolutely purchase something like this if the timetable and stock was realistic.

If it brought one or two new locos to the table then it would be perfect...

10. evanhinkle1

evanhinkle1 New Member

I really like the Idea, I have become very familiar with Southern Pacific equipment through my time at various railroad museums, however it would be really nice even if it was in TSW to have the chance to see the equipment at home doing what they do best.