New Pc Vs Ps5

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bart2day, Dec 30, 2020.

1. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy a new rig to play TSW on and am not sure whether to go for a gaming PC or a PS5. I currently have a PS4 with plenty of DLC so going to PC would mean buying it all again. I also play other AAA titles like Fifa and RDR2. However, I could do with a new laptop so am considering spending the extra to get a gaming one that I would save by not getting a PS5. What do you guys think? DTG have said they want parity between platforms so I don't think I'd be missing out continuing on console (even though the mods on PC look awesome). I've got an £800 limit and know very little about PC specs but I thought this one looked good? It has to be a laptop as sometimes I travel for work and don't have any room in my flat for a desktop.
    Screenshot (160).png

2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I would say go for a PC, as I personally think consoles are just a ripoff. And technically PCs are a better option, I think it's safe to say that's a fact. However if you already have plenty of PS4 games and you actually like consoles, well it makes sense that you would prefer a PS5, so you can keep your games.

But keep in mind that consoles will always have more limitations, like no modding or in the case of TSW, less DLC layers for routes.
    Also, it's also just my personal opinion, but if you're going for a PC, a proper desktop is better value for performance, compared to a laptop. Easier to keep clean and maintain (or upgade later on if needed), doesn't overheat and will survive longer. Unless you specifically plan to travel a lot and bring your laptop with you, a desktop PC is a better option.

Edit: I just saw you mentioned travelling a lot at the end, so I suppose going for a laptop is understandable. I think most of the specs are fine, but 8GB of RAM is not enough. Look for something with 16GB of RAM, as most games will struggle with 8GB only.

• Like Like x 4
  3. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

The game will run ok with 8GB of RAM but on my system, hung badly at the end of a scenario or service, taking ages to get back to the load screen. Bought another stick of RAM bumping it up to 16GB and it runs nice and quick now.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. ht-57

ht-57 Member

TSW2 uses every bit of 8g, If you run any other programs along with it as I do then even 16g's is cutting it close.
    As heardturkey said game runs good on 16, I would suggest 16g as a minimum.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I'd say go for the PS5.
    It is better value than a PC and far better value than a Notebook. From what I've heard, TSW2 runs very well on both the new XBox and PS5, so your experience should be absolutely great. This way you also get to keep your DLC and don't need to rebuy it. On the other hand, you will have no mods (and the missing layers on HMA), decide for yourself how important that is for you.

The Notebook you have linked in your OP should be able to run TSW on probably medium settings (this is just a guess, I could be wrong), and I think your GPU will be the part holding you back. Keep in mind that you cannot upgrade the GPU, so you will be stuck with that one for the lifetime of this notebok. 8Gb of RAM also isn't very much these days, my recommendation is 16Gb. While it probably will work, it could work better with more RAM. Stutters probably will be the result. You may be able to upgrade it, but this very much depends on the Notebook itself. Reviews or teardowns should help you in figuring out if the RAM can be upgraded.

The Notebook is a solid choice of Notebook, but somewhat held back by its GPU and RAM. It will be able to play some games, but it is not a gaming notebook.
    Recommendations: 16Gb RAM and a better GPU (something like a 2070 mobile if that's a thing or a 3060 mobile once it finally will be available)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

8GB of RAM may not be enough for a great performance, you would probably want 16GB. From what I've heard the new consoles performance is very good, and they do have 16GB of RAM.

Also generally laptops are more expensive than desktop PCs for the same component price (though of course you don't have to consider buying some separate things like monitors or keyboard), and also with a laptop you can't switch in newer GPU or RAM when current components are not good enough.

I think you may be better off getting one of the new consoles as well if you enjoy other console games considering the money you have available won't be enough for a laptop that will run it faster than a console, then if you still need a laptop for work you can just get a much much cheaper laptop - assuming you don't work in an industry where you need a good one.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Second the recommendations to get 16GB of RAM and while it is likely to be one of the few things you can upgrade it may be worth trying to find out how that 8GB is arranged. The notebook may only have two RAM slots and if that 8GB is made up of two 4GB modules you'd not be paying just for another 8GB but the full 16GB and wondering what to do the original modules.

More memory may well be an option for purchasers and if it's not for this particular model other vendors are likely to be more flexible.

Lastly it might be worth waiting a while if you can- it's a poor time to be buying new kit ATM.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I can only speak for the PS5 and it’s a massive step up for TSW2 from the PS4. None of those stutters as tiles load, playing in 4k on my 55” tv. All this without a specific PS5 upgrade from DTG. I suspect it is on their hotlist though as it formed part of the winter survey questions. That would of course make it even better

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I play TSW on a PC, and will continue to do so. Also, I got a RailDriver, so... Anyhow, I never tried TSW on a PS, but I did get myself a PS5 on launch day for Demon's Souls, and I just want to say that the PS5 is one heck of an impressive machine!! Very powerful, lightning fast SSD, controller is pure joy to use. I paired it all up with one of the PS's headsets for it too, wireless, and the sound is amazing too. I couldn't be happier with my purchase...or rather, my wife secretly managed to get for me for my birthday (yes, she's that awesome! <3 ).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, you almost certainly want double the RAM for a gaming rig at this point. Also from what I can tell the CPU on the PS5's much better than you would get in that laptop, same amount of cores but at a much higher clock speed. Maybe it could possibly be overclocked, but not sure if you want to be doing that with that laptop. You'd also have a bit more memory on PS5, not a ton more, but enough to install a couple more sizeable games at least.

So personally I'd side with the PS5, assuming you're willing to wait until you can get it around retail price you're likely gonna have better performance for considerably less then the laptop. Sure you won't have access to mods, but I don't think the modding scene in TSW's a big enough selling point to completely rebuy everything for.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

A PS5 would be a far better value in terms of performance as it is currently not possible to build a PC comparable to the new consoles at an equivalent price. However if you prefer the flexibility of a laptop it might be worth it to you. Personally, I do not like "gaming laptops" as they are generally pretty poor quality and break after only a few years. The argument of upgradeability and modularity for PCs is also thrown out of the window in the case of a laptop. If you like the PlayStation ecosystem, I would say go for it. However like some have said above, in the case of TSW you will not be able to use mods or be privy to the more frequent Steam sales.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I have a HP pavilion laptop marketed as a gaming laptop with 8gb of ram. It looks like an earlier version of the one in the OP.

TSW2 plays, but the fan noise drowns out the train noises :D

I sometimes don't play for so long because I don't want to melt the motherboard - these laptops have loud fans, the last one was the same, it seems to be a feature of HP pavilion laptops as you can see by searching online for HP gaming laptop fan noise, so I would say laptop < PS5 < Desktop PC

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I actually switched from PC to consoles some time ago, I used to have a PC for sims and the console just for multiplayer games, it depends on what you are looking for.

Next gens are really competitive in the value for money category, while of course they are less powerful than a full on gaming PC, I would argue they offer better performance than a similarly priced gaming laptop or desktop PC, for €500 you can't even get a decent processor/GPU...

But the main reason I went from PC to Consoles was mainly for the company I had on XBOX live, and now that I could also start playing some serious simulation on my console while staying in a party with other people and having a seamless transition from playing "other games" to TSW.

Another big reason would be the fact that with a PC you really have to put much more time, care and effort into it, consoles are fool proof, plug and play systems, everything is straightforward and easy for you, which I really like (although I definitely miss the flexibility of a PC game), but recently the fact they added Raildriver (which I still have from my MSTS and Rail Simulator days), and the layers to PC made me think a lot about this as well: whether to upgrade my 6 year old PC or to get a next gen console, and at the end I decided to go for next gen, mainly because it would not be feasible to run two "parallel" copies of TSW, and I would rather sacrifice a bit of graphics, and Raildriver than to go back to my old status quo of using PC for sims and Xbox for playing in MP with my friends... but if you don't have this issue and you are willing to sink more time and effort into your PC than it's the better option, although having to buy everything again is not great, even if you will probabily get everything on sale...

I'm hoping a next gen version of TSW2 will bridge the gap a little bit, it's a shame about Raildriver though... as I imagined (or feared more than anything) it would be needed a new version made specifically to work for xbox or PS...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Having been a multi console owner I changed to pc 5months ago. My consoles have been turned on twice since (once to try ufc 4 and once whilst I sussed out connecting a voice chat from pc to Xbox with mate).

train sim runs a lot better on pc, you can tailor graphics more too I believe, it looks far better than console too. You can potentially upgrade or add an external gpu too later down line to improve performance.

Game prices, not much to say here other than you’ll save money.More sales too.

Mods, like Pringles,once you get a few you’ll turn console on less.

Consoles have their place and they served me well. They’re easier to use, very much pick up and play but very limited at times too.

Perhaps- someone who knows pcs far more than me could suggest any other laptops to help as I’m not sure on that graphics card. Ssd will full up quick too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Notebook\laptop better

16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I would prefer a PC, but the model you selected will have two problems: low on RAM, which may have a performance impact and the SSD is far to low in capacity if you want to play trainsim seriously. I would recommend at least 1Tb. The last thing is th screen size. You probably will like to buy an additional screen. The graphics card is OK, I have something very similar.

On a PC you can do things you cannot do on a console, you may want to use it for other purposes as well. I am not sure, if you can afford buy a desktop high end gaming computer. The new consoles probably are a good solution for this game and you will save a lot of money.

Be aware that TSW2 for a console cannot be transferred to a PC and vice versa. So think beyond you hardware purchase right now. This even may mean you accept now the limits of this PC and buy a much better one in a few years.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

What Rudolf said...
    Also if you have a 4K OLED TV you have to be aware of screen burn from any static images, such as the HUD, which can happen quite quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Even with that card it will soon run hot and noisy :(

PC's only advantage is the modding scene and the machines flexibility for other jobs.+5204
    ]['p;[]=-=-09874321`809-][poiuewq
    Crumbs in keyboard :)

19. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

no problems with crumbs on my corsair keyboard (k95 rgb platinum)
    i just use compressed air to get rid of it
    or just turn it vertical and shake it lightly

20. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Did that and ran brush over it.
    Really need to grab the airbrush compressor from the attic but too cold :)

21. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Going off of this point checking if there's extra slots for additional HDDs & SSDs is a good idea. Anything internal is gonna be noticeably faster than a external USB equivalent. I would also say that extra storage is something you should probably consider for PS5 as well. While it has more space it's still a tad low, even if you get only a handful of games a year you're probably gonna hit that cap in due time. Although keep in mind that HDDs can only hold PS4 games, and SSDs aren't supported quite yet on PS5.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Nemo

Nemo Member

You have so much more possibilities with a PC compared to a console in terms of what you can do and create and how you can play.

Nowadays, 8GB of RAM is becoming too low, as games require more and more resources in time. 16GB would be better, and also would be the minimum required.

If you take a laptop, don't forget to buy a cooler. Less space means more heat ! You can buy one here : https://klimtechs.com/fr/categorie-produit/refroidisseurs/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

24. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Thanks so much to everyone for their replies. I think from what you've all said I am leaning towards a PS5 and will probably pick one up when the shops get them back in.

• Like Like x 1