Unhappy Holidays From Railfantv For Train Simulator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WoodlandTracks, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Dang . . . TSW only since mid December :( :( :(

Although all the interesting TSW streams are great for all the TSW players, lets hope the Train Simulator Community will get a bit more attention next year !

A Very Merry Christmas To The Whole Dove Tail Team !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Railfan Tv Schedule 14th - 18th December
    Tuesday 15th - Train Sim World 2: LGV Méditerranée with Sam & Matt
    Wednesday 16th - Train Simulator: Workshop Wednesday with Matt & Jamie
    Thursday 17th - Train Sim World 2: LGV Méditerranée with Natalie & Sam
    Friday 18th - Train Sim World 2: Schnellfahrstrecke Köln Aachen with Jamie & Natalie

Railfan Tv Schedule 21st - 23rd December
    Tuesday 22nd - Train Sim World 2: Roadmap with Sam & Adam
    Wednesday 23rd -Train Sim World 2: Bakerloo Line with Jamie & Natalie & Sam & Matt

Railfan Tv Schedule 28th- 30th December
    Monday 28th - Train Sim World 2: Koln Aachen with Sam
    Tuesday 29th - Train Sim World 2: Sand Patch Grade + Raildriver with Matt & Jamie
    Wednesday 30th - Train Sim World 2 - End Of Year Q&A with Sam & Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2020
  2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

It's an advertisement channel.
    Maybe there are potential streamers in the community, as long as it makes sense without the inside info. The catch, some account (key) sharing would be needed to broadcast on a single channel.
    Would Youtube work instead of streaming?
    Personally, I rather watch real cab rides or play the game myself.
    They also tend to ignore serious questions and drive like arcade, so... On that note, I'd probably want to watch someone like Chicken Balti drive a steam loco.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This is why I never really watch that stream any more.

4. > Maybe there are potential streamers in the community, as long as it makes
    > sense without the inside info.

Yes there are many other live streams and pre-recorded video channels. For instance:

> Would Youtube work instead of streaming?

Definitely. See the list above. Youtube can be used for both. Live and pre-recorded.

> Personally, I rather watch real cab rides or play the game myself.

I like to watch youtube when cooking, cleaning the house or playing with the dogs. :)

> They also tend to ignore serious questions and drive like arcade, so...

Never seen them ignore serious questions. And they all drive different. Some real serious with all safety's and other more casual. Remember is not easy to drive, read channel, talk, answer questions all at the same time. Is great that this simulator supports both, serious as well as casual driving !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I watch multiple hours of Twitch and YouTube and I can honestly say I dislike DTGs team offerings more than anything else, the weird thing is I can watch MattPlays or Colonel Failure, just can't stand the DTG streams.

This is only my opinion I'm not hating on the guys just can't watch them together trying to promote mostly lacklustre products lacklustery.

6. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

The ATS twitch stream was excellent last night, so many goodies given to the community :) really set Christmas off.

7. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

Not everyone likes watching Alan drink himself into an almost coma while singing to kylie minogue songs! Yes I’ve seen it on his streams. He comes across as a borderline alcoholic.

8. dunkrez

Rather scathing there? Merry Christmas! :)

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

He himself describes his streams as "pub chat" rather than a professional train driving stream. If you want those, go watch some of the PTGRail ones on youtube

• Like Like x 3
  10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

yeah.. we can't have any FUN on a TS stream, can we?

• Like Like x 1
  11. No idea who Alan is, but I do like the DTG Team Streams ! Even liked the latest TSW one. Very original !

12. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We want to offer more for Train Simulator players in the new year, if you've something you'd like us to cover on stream please let us know.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sounds like a great plan

Merry Christmas Sam !

14. dunkrez

Merry Christmas Sam! :)

15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I miss the PTG ones, he has stopped making them now.

Merry Christmas everyone.

16. dunkrez

In times when pubs are in short supply, ATS's beer nights are no bad thing :) Merry Christmas ARuscoe!

17. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Misread your username as Drunkrez for a sec there hehe!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Here is twitch channel link https://www.twitch.tv/alanthomsonsim

19. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I love the DTG streams. I find that far too many YouTubers just stream themselves playing without saying a word. What a waste. There are some great streamers on YouTube if you sift through the junk.

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

I think the DTG streams are generally fun and informative.

Some Youtube streamers are doing it to massage their egos or to push their own agenda in some cases.

There are some excellent channels though, my favourite alongside Matt and DTG is trainsim.tv as they have generally balanced approach and their reviews are interesting and informative.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

yeah, he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

22. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Scratch that, just looked at his Facebook page.

I too would like to see more TS on the DTG streams beyond the weekly look on the workshop.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

PTG stopped making the vids because he ended up taking up too much time in getting them sorted, videoed, editted etc and he wanted to go off and make different types of videos (travelogs)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

As a note, I'm starting to work on a series involving playing scenarios from various DLC, and eventually workshop scenarios as well (already played one greendragon32 scenario that I've cut for production). I'm going to be trying to follow some of PTG's style in terms of describing the environment around me and names of everything, but the focus will be on scenario completion. I have one route done and am starting to cut my other videos now before dipping into more play, but I do have some 200 DLC to work with on this, so this will be an ongoing thing once I start publishing.

And I don't yet have TSW, so I will be ignoring that for the time being. I also would be using Youtube as I am not happy with what Twitch is doing of late in their business model.

• Like Like x 3
  25. BigMountain555

Great! I'm looking forward to your channel. I find most YouTubers who post train sim videos are awful. Just simply post a video of them driving the train. No a word is said. There are very few who actually speak. PTG was my favourite as I learned so much from his videos.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Cyclone

Yes, I've looked up VODs and found some of these blank ones. I happened upon a set running the Donner Pass scenario pack (separately available) and I'm thinking to myself, you are saying nothing, you are not telling us what you're doing, you expect us to pay attention and just know, so why am I watching you? I might still watch them to see how those scenarios play out and to plan my own runs eventually, but to the average viewer, they are a waste and I'd rather entertain and educate people if I can. It just takes a little research to look at the Open Rails map or otherwise at a Google map and find information to enrich the experience, including the names of tunnels, junctions, local roads, and even nearby landmarks - on the map or otherwise. I'm somewhat proud of my last Suburban Glasgow run because I found a couple of the neighbourhoods I had located on a Google map and referenced them with their actual street names, and also identified the park and nearby burn (water feature) around East Dumbarton's station, among other things. Just doing this kind of thing provides information to viewers and gives you more legitimacy as a player of the game, and I feel that is the way to grow an audience around your channel. Just running the scenario silently without commentary, on the other hand, is not.

Also, live commentary is always the way to go over any kind of post-run commentary because you get the live reactions, not something like "And you'll see me being a dumdum in about six seconds..." which makes it somewhat anti-climactic. Do the live cut, edit with your introduction and any other features (showing off the train, the scenario timetable, etc.) into a cohesive package, and publish, using annotations if you need to add any more comments. The first thing I'm doing when I upload is keeping them all private so I can add such annotations, and then scheduling the releases. That way my post-run thoughts or noting any errors on my part still gets into the production indirectly. And sooner or later, I'll do live streaming on Youtube directly and that will just be whatever you see published, without any editing or annotating whatsoever, and that's fine too!

• Like Like x 1
  27. BigMountain555

Please let us know the name of your channel when its ready so that we may subscribe! This is great news.

28. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

It's like saying, whoever puts / doesn't put milk in coffee / tea is wrong, because... I like it this way, because, and that is an objective matter.
    I play such videos to have them as a moving painting on the wall, or to sit back, relax and sort out my thoughts. Meditation, if you like.
    Of course it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Informative videos are nice, I've seen a video by Don Coffey and really liked it.

29. theorganist

The Don Coffey videos are great. A few years ago there was a film of Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway which had no commentary and all you could hear was the train and the conversation in the cab. It was a hit and many people I know who have no interest in railways what so ever watched it and loved it.

The trainsim cabride video channel is good on youtube. I think the ones which irritate me are the ones where people film themselves having a rant or "review" a new product which just becomes a ego massaging session, there are quite a few of those regarding trainsims. Still I am sure they have an audience too. The ones which make me laugh are those trying to turn a non-event into a drama by portraying some minor irritation into some major political drama, going in depth into why someone in the trainsim community has done this, or why someone at DTG has said that!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Cyclone

Does ranting about issues with a specific DLC count in the things you like? I do that periodically, and especially for Sherman Hill by the end of the original set of scenarios. LOL

Is this Flying Scotsman video a TS video or a real life one? May have to look that up.

31. theorganist

Sorry a real life video. I think it was on the BBC. There was also one of a bus I think going through the Yorkshire Dales.

I haven't anything against ranting, but where it is balanced. I know what you mean though, I find myself ranting when something goes wrong or something irritates. I haven't ever streamed as I think I would get tongue tied lol.

However, I have seen several Youtube videos where the rant is not balanced and is clearly a a "look at me I am very important so you should listen to what I say" rant or "well it is DTG so it must be rubbish" rant. Although it isn't just DTG I have seen JT been the subject of these sort of "reviews" in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Cyclone

I see, I see. I know I occasionally make comments like that in relation to DTG, including comments that DTG can't be "arsed" to fix anything that's wrong (I hope I can be proven wrong on this, but I am not counting on that). I do try to comment on nice things about DLC or scenarios I'm playing at the same time, however. Only if a scenario is REALLY badly planned will I do a more unbalanced approach because it's not as much fun when you have to be extremely tight and certain things don't work, complicating matters even more.

• Like Like x 1
  33. You have been proven wrong on that many many times

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2021
  34. Cyclone

So you are saying there is a chance that Sherman Hill might someday be fixed? I know they do it for newer DLC, such as their double patch of the new ECML South.

35. dunkrez

Looking forward to your content mate, might have a few things for you to show off over the next few months if you're interested?

36. Cyclone

Send me a conversation and I can let you know! I will definitely be interested in stuff to show off pending whether I have the assets required. Might be able to get one or two now during the sales.

• Like Like x 1
  37. dunkrez

The beauty of having 3ds Max to play with is that I can produce without having to rely too heavily on the assets created by others. Wish it was still a perpetual licence bit of software, but can't have it all can we? There will be one or two bits that will require minimal assets - but most of the TS community will already have these assets. I'll drop you a note closer to the time, thanks Cyclone! :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  38. Cyclone

Now I'm curious what those minimal assets would be. LOL I have been reviewing my London to Brighton content today (it'll be the third route I publish stuff for at this point), and I have a little bit of editing to do, but I learned yesterday about how to pause using my keyboard (turns out I need the Fn key to make mine work), so my initial bits of editing won't be completely crisp and such, but I will eventually get there. I do try to get external views without looking like I'm flailing around, but always tried to rush them, so now I know I can take my time. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  39. We are off to a great start. It is 50/50 this week !!!

Railfan Tv Schedule 4th - 8th January
    Wednesday 6th - Train Simulator: Workshop Wednesday with Matt & Jamie
    Thursday 7th - Train Sim World 2: Canadian National Oakville Subdivision with Sam & Natalie

• Like Like x 1
  40. BigMountain555

It would be nice if they also showcased non-workshop routes for a change.

41. BigMountain555

It's OK, I enjoy all DTG streams especially since we are stuck at home. I feel like I know the staff now.

42. #Me Too :)

• Like Like x 1