Should Dtg Stop Making Multiple Versions Of The Same Item?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 749006, Dec 31, 2020.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Do we need different versions of the same item because it is released with a route?

Buy the EWS 66 and it installs as Class66Pack03
    If you then buy the Midland Mainline you get another EWS Class 66 in a different folder
    Buy the Settle to Carlisle route and you get another EWS Class 66.
    There might be another route which has an EWS 66

It would make sense if DTG just gave you one pack - the Class66Pack03
    The EWS Class 66 would only sit in one folder and if DTG brought out an update everyone would get it instead of just the people with the one route/pack

The German Routes are worse with a DB BR 101 with most routes in about 6 different folders

What do you think?

Peter

• Like Like x 4
  2. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

the Lord works in mysterious ways.....

3. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Mind numbing ways.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I think its a mess. I never know what I've got. I read a scenario's requirements and it says something like "Class 66 EWS Pack No. six million or whatever, and I'm like... do I have that?

Seriously... Why? I have Class66Pack02, 03 and 05. Does that mean there's a 1 and a 4 as well somewhere? Why?

5. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I agree with Peter... What also annoys me is the fact that there are multiple versions of the same thing... I recently bought Wherry Lines from Steam but theres also the version available from AP... Although I've now got WL there's a part of me that can't help wondering if I should've bought it from AP instead... IT'S ESSENTIALLY THE SAME THING isn't it... There needs to be some more form of standardization in my opinion...

Eric

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That is ok if you wish to use Default DTG Scenarios and you don't have a problem
    Download a Scenario from elsewhere and you find the Author has used one loco and you have the same loco in a different pack so the scenario does not work and you end up swapping the locos / stock etc

7. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I’ve indulged over the sale with a number of purchases, and find I might just have bought a route that included trains I previously bought as a stand alone. Need to keep track!

8. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I wonder why there isn't a sensible automatic stock substitution system?

As a scenario loads, sensible substitutions could be made so there are no missing elements. Would make TS infinitely more accessible straight away - would also reduce the monopoly surrounding required assets. More of a win for the end user, but c'mon, the end user deserves more tlc than they currently enjoy. Better than a "like it or lump it" offering. Probably more likely to tease more people sitting on the fence over train simulation to jump over that fence and dive in.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. inversnecky

I read in another thread that there’s just a small difference of some extra liveries in the AP version, IIRC.

10. inversnecky

Looking through the manuals of my routes, I must have multiple copies of BR Mark I carriages....

11. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I've often wondered that for a long time... Like you've said (I think it was you anyway!!!), its a better outcome for the end user. There's many a scenario that I can't use because i haven't got a particular piece of DLC but I've got various suitable alternatives...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  12. inversnecky

And as I see the free space on my drive dwindle, I can think of another pertinent reason!

• Like Like x 1
  13. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I think a good example on the American side is the Amfleet I, it's included in almost every Amtrak-related DLC. New York New Haven, New York to Philly, HHP-8, DC to Baltimore, Hudson Line, etc...

Luckily I have most of these, but it's a real problem when I can't load a scenario because I'm missing the Amfleet coaches of a similar DLC.

14. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

More scenarios in the AP version as well, you just need to have a ton of AP dependencies.

15. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not sure how far the ship has sailed, but it would be nice to merge them.
    Agreed about using the best sounds, graphics... Specifically the SC EWS 66 could be a lot nicer, like the Freightliner v2.
    On top of it, it could help with the abundance of rolling stock over time.
    I can live with both concepts, but it's currently a mix. E.g. can I uninstall the CZ F40PH if I keep Soldier Summit?
    I'd also split at least scenarios (like with the five old routes), maybe also routes and rolling stock. (Some might consider assets as a 4th.) As I progress with content I would want to uninstall scenarios (the Drive page takes 15 seconds to load, not fun) but I might have DLC for it, plus keeping trains around seems ideal (the Class 08 pack has some really nice cars, I'm sort of mourning it).

16. inversnecky

One thing I have learned is not to buy loco DLC only to later find they are included in a route I’ve just purchased: a few pounds wasted on the sales now, thanks to not paying attention to that!