Master Keys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Dec 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had confusion about Master Key position?

In the Class 205 DEMU, it has to be turned to horizontal, but in the 37, that’s the off position. It would seem that there’s no consistency here, and it has to be learned on a loco by loco basis?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

One built by English Electric... one built by BREL. Is everything in a Ford consistent with everything in a Nissan? :)

Get used to the key commands for each loco is my advice. You'll never look back. All this poking and prodding around the screen with a mouse is not the best experience.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not really. No more so than "where is the headlight switch, and how does it work"... Different machines work differently in essence

4. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

The confusion is also a product of simulation allowing us to do things that don't really happen in real life. I doubt that many real world train drivers are allowed to jump into locos and drive off without training and familarisation. And there are probably few that drive 10 different types of loco in a week.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Drivers Controller is different in the Class 37 and the Class 205 - why should the drivers key position be the same?

6. inversnecky

Thanks, yes it’s all part of the enjoyment.

The 205 manual specifically said to be in horizontal, so I initially assumed the same for the 37, as that manual didn’t specify. When using the mouse to turn it, there was no hint label as to on or off position.

I presume it will always initially be in the off position in any train.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Driver has just entered the Cab so the Controls are in the Off position and you can only have One key in at any time
    Even those trains that don't have a key to turn are Off and the Direction Switch is Off

8. inversnecky

Thanks. Logical when you think about it that way. I wasn’t sure if the AI was testing you so it might not always have started with the off position.