Gwe: Trains Are Always On

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MillerPC, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

Everywhere you go trains are always powered up and ready to go, all you need to do is set the position of the reverser, set the headlights, release the brake and add throttle. But why? Even trains in the yard are always on and if your volume is up, it's almost deafening from the sounds of the engines all on at the same time. In the tutorial it teaches us how to cold and dark start a train from safety measures to turning on the lights yet we never get to do this in the gameplay. Please, turn off all trains that are not being used or laid up, they don't need to be running 24/7 like they do now and give us a chance to start up trains ourselves.

• Like Like x 16
  2. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Completely agree. The present situation seems quite unrealistic to me. I just cannot imagine that all locomotives in a yard are always, and that means ALWAYS turned on. Why should they? That is just a waste of fuel and therefore a waste of money! No company would support this. I understand that a locomotive being coupled to a train which will depart after a couple of minutes won't be shut down to start it up some minutes later, that would be senseless. But locomotives that are parked in the sheds or the yard and which are not in use and won't be within the next hours, why do they have to stand there with their engines running? Is this really the usual status in reality? Or is that a problem of DTG that worked sloppily once more?:|

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

+1

In addition to this suggestion: Passengers shouldnt be in the Train at the start of the services. Make us start at the yard with an empty, unprepared Train so we can prepare everything to drive to the stop to let the passengers in. Its pretty unrealistic how Passengers are in the Train in the yard and before opening doors in the stations.

• Like Like x 6
  4. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

I'm going to revive this in hopes that the devs see this before the launch of the new dlc. Really hope this is added in to all dlcs and current base game.

5. Th3Fl4mIng

Th3Fl4mIng Member

100% my opinion
    Especially the fact that trains are set on in the yard already is not really realistic. Also true point with the tutorial, that we actually never get to use our knowledge of what they have just taught us.
    Honestly, I'd even like to set the trains up for a start in station. See RT - otherwise you will never have the chance to start the BR1442 from cold and dark mode since it's always already set on.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  6. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I remember that one of the points made by Matt in the run up to GWE being released was that trains in yards and sidings would not have passengers on board, but the reality is that in game they do have passengers on board when in yards and sidings, so I conclude they must have gave up on their original idea.

7. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Has anybody raised a ticket about the issue of trains being powered up all the time? I'm pretty certain that DTG, on the traim sim side, tend to use the volume of tickets on any one subject to decide whether or not they'll change or fix certain issues and in which order. I know I've certainly raised a ticket on passengers being on trains in sidings but I can't remember whether I raised one about trains being powered up.

8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I think it was once said the main problem was that fixing it would basically involve intentionally redoing most of the services timetable, since there’s no easy way to just magically set all passengers to get off before a depot move (that’s why this problem exists in the first place). And that hasn’t been done since it would really only make sense to also fix some of the bigger issues with the services timetable instead of just messing with the depot moves only. I’m not sure the current timetable is long for life as any more DLC (if a 165 or 378 or double 166s are added....) would really change the timetable, and would probably justify the fixing of depot moves in the process...

9. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

I wonder if this suggestion got into Account while working on the service timetables for the New York Dlc