Tgv Speed Limiter

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rich_84, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Rich_84

Rich_84 Active Member

Is it just me or is the speed limiter on the TGV useless, it seems no matter what I set it at the train goes over the speed limit.

2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

1) Use the correct settings - speed control on the rotary selector on the right, select speed, throttle to max - this makes the train use max dynamic brake when going downhill.
    2) The dynamic brake on TGV is not the strongest one out there. If you go downhill 2 % and more, you need to help it with a tap of airbrake (4.4-4.6 bar on HUD).

3. Rich_84

Rich_84 Active Member

I did set it to the correct settings but it seemed to over speed even on the level bits.

4. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Weird, the correct setup procedure is:
    Reverser Forward, Power Idle, Driving mode into Selected Speed and then set the speed you wish it to follow. It does struggle to keep the speed on steep gradients but on level it should work. Power MUST be applied for it to use dynamic brakes by itself. When driving, if you leave the Throttle in idle position, it will not brake the train (at least I think it won't)

5. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Do you need to apply full power when using the set speed? Also, does anyone know the procedure for when stopping at a station when using a selected speed, do they disengage it on approach and reset it once leaving?

6. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Yes when you’re using it you have to have full throttle, you can just use the speed selector to slow down with the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

To get maximum acceleration and be able to get your top speeds, the throttle needs to be advanced sufficiently. I usually set it @90%, guess I just like to a little reserve horsepower left if I need it or not, not sure if that is prototypical, but has been my practice in real life from my flying lessons and when I use to drive ships, but then speed is more constrained by conditions than would be in a railway.

On approaching stations for a stop on the TGV, once I hit the 170 warning, I will zero the throttle and switch to manual mode then re-apply power as needed. I feel I have better speed and braking control.

I do not know if this prototypical and would be interesting in hearing from people with more experience on what would mimic the proper procedures actually used.

• Like Like x 1