Optimization

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cjc74, Jan 2, 2021.

1. cjc74

cjc74 New Member

i bought tsw2 today ... i have about ten routes with the preserved collection and with high speed internet in Toronto Ontario Canada the download is taking about six hours { way more than any other game i own } - obviously the game is very heavy on the pixels side of things and obviously the game is too pixel heavy to run smoothly with the frame lags and stutters on every PC set-up video uploaded to youtube even when they are using a 2080 ti and AMD threadripper CPU and 32 GB RAM ... the only thing I'm seeing for sure that should be improved for optimization is the trees and bushes because up close the leaves are way too detailed because we do not need super detailed leaves as we are just driving past them ... any more suggestions for optimization ?

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have an I7 6700 @ 4 GHz with a nvidia RTX 2070 and TSW2 runs smoothly even on Ultra settings. If you are judging from YouTube videos much of the time it could be from the video capture process. CSX Heavy Haul when it was first released did have a problem with foliage cause heavy processing loads, but that was corrected in later routes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. TNH

TNH Member

I am using TSW on a Ryzen 5 2600/16GB/RX570 4GB configuration, high settings with FXAA enabled, and still get more than 60FPS in most cases (Well, it drops to 35-40 when heavy raining)
    I think this is not bad at all, considering some other UE4 titles, such as TramSim runs worse even on lower settings. (Ofc that game takes place in a city with many pedestrians and AI cars, so its not a surprise)

• Like Like x 2
  4. cjc74

cjc74 New Member

okay "leedcatcher" ... you obviously work for DTG ... i firmly believe you are lying about the game running smoothly or you do not see the stuttering like so many people or you are just blind to it ... it could be the video capture process but other games play fine on youtube so i seriously doubt it my man ... the game is flawed because other high end games run smoothly but this one does not ... it is clear the game was not tested on different game engines before it was released ... train simulator had massive frame drops and it seems like the same people are still working there from those days and these problems continue - the game freezes when looking around in the cab while not going anywhere and it happens even more when walking around and it never used to happen anywhere on the same scale in train sim world #1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

LeadCatcher? DTG Fanboy? scoffs

It looks like you are new around here. Let us get one thing straight: you will not find sympathetic help from those you scorn. LeadCatcher is a valuable member of the forums here and it benefits no one to start throwing insults around.
    Secondly, performance varies a lot from system to system since people have different hardware configurations, game settings, Engine.ini tweaks, etc. It is unsurprising that some users experience less stuttering than others. Furthermore, what may be satisfactory performance may be completely unacceptable to another. For example, I recently read a post from a user on this forum describing their performance as "buttery smooth 30FPS" to which I would personally object is smooth, but that is my personal perspective. If anything, I envy that user for being satisfied with the performance they have.

If you would like more constructive help, be polite. We don't bite, except when provoked. To that end, sharing your hardware configuration and game settings would be a sound start.

Cheers

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

I can promise that as far as my YouTube channel goes at least (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSUKFl78dO3gL_TgAy5d4g), that the stuttering I experience is the same irrespective of whether or not I'm recording the gameplay. There are so many cores in my CPU sat doing nothing when gaming, with ShadowPlay recording to a different drive, that it really makes no odds at all so I'm lucky that recording literally has zero impact on gameplay.

I do believe that when faced with a stuttering game on their live streams & videos it's easier for DTG to blame the streaming/recording software in the heat of the moment than it is the game itself. I suspect the answer lays somewhere between the two, although it seems odd to me that a games company wouldn't demonstrate their flagship title on the best hardware possible, all of the time.

ps As Callum says, LeadCatcher neither works for DTG nor is a fanboy and is a very longstanding voice of reason around here. I don't for one minute believe he's lying when he says he has smooth gameplay, just that for me at least that isn't the case. TSW2 will run at 60fps & 4K but it isn't consistently smooth, even in its shipped state so on this point I have to respectfully disagree with LeadCatcher. I've yet to see any demonstration of this game that doesn't have the same stuttering that I experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

First off cjc74 , I would be very hesitant to publicly call someone a liar. Being a Military Academy graduate and having served for 22 years in uniform, I take my honor very seriously and have no reason to fabricate stories over the performance I am receiving. There are much more serious matters in life than a few FPS in a simulation.

Nor do I disbelief hightower on what his is experiencing either, now to why there is such a large variation in people’s performance, there are many other factors that would warrant discussion, the least important would be one’s moral character.

My post was intended to be helpful in letting you know that the performance you were describing was not universal and presenting a plausible cause for what you were observing on some YouTube videos. But since you want to take such information and immediately start with immature accusations, I will leave it to other more tolerant members of this forum to assist you, if that is even what you want.

I do hope you get your performance sorted

best.

• Like Like x 7
  8. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

cjc74 Keep your posts civil when talking to other members of the community, you won't always have the same opinion but there's no reason for hostility. If this thread continues to descend into name calling it will be locked.

• Like Like x 16
  9. ht-57

ht-57 Member

LeadCatcher,
    ThankYou for your service!
    cjc74,
    I run in 4k and I avg 'bout 67 fps on spg. it does get a lil blip when a new tile loads in. when I cap fps to 33 its pretty smooth play, but there is a still a slight blip every now and again hardly game breaking. the best performance tweak I think that can be made to cater to your specific system is the .ini tweaks+ the fps cap to keep your video card rendering consistently. A little search will reveal a wealth of info on this topic + a lil experimentation you will find the balance between eyecandy and playability.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

OK, here goes. I'm on an older I7 4790, 16gb of Ram, RTX2080, SSD. I run the game with everything maxed out in game settings (ULTRA, HIGH etc.), 4K 3840x2160, some extra .ini tweaks for better visuals, and my game is buttery smooth. I get 45/50 FPS on SPG. A little less in more demanding places, Munchen etc. If I dial the resolution back to 2560x1440, still buttery smooth and solid 60 on SPG, and again a little less in demanding places. No lies, no exaggeration, just facts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hightower

hightower Guest

To clarify, what I’m seeing are not TS1 style mechanical hard-drive, 1 to 2 second full-on stuttering with tile loads. They are what I call micro stutters - they are almost imperceptible but they are there, no question. They’re not a big issue, but it would be nice to see them ironed out at some point. I’m running a Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2080 ti, SSD & 32GB of 3200mhz RAM.

These tiny stutters weren’t the case in the latter days of TSW2020 on the exact same PC. This is definitely something that came with TSW2, and remains to this day.

ps Where did the term ‘buttery smooth’ come from? I’d never heard it used in this way until a few months ago and now everyone seems to be using it?! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

It's very old, try Psalms 55:21 in the KJV: "The words of his mouth were smoother than butter". Now, back to TrainSimming ...

• Like Like x 2