PlayStation Bakerloo Line Vs Real Life

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ZeenozPlays, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

If no one were to point out inaccuracies and/or criticize some of the things in the game, nothing would change. No, we're not expecting 100% accuracy, but we do have expectations. Sure some of the things that are shown in this video aren't that big, but there are other things that are, such as sound and lighting. If you're fine with how it is right now, then that is you, but not all people feel fine about it. Especially Londoners and frequent Bakerloo Line Passengers.

Did I make this post just to criticize? Hell no. I even included some pics in there that showed how well they did with certain things, so people have to stop saying we are hating, being negative, and other things because that's obviously not it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

While I think BKL was surely not as good as it could be, I was bothered by other things not working, to be honest, I don't really care if a station is missing a curve, everyone cares about different things, for me the biggest problems are the screens on the platforms and mirrors not working, as well as the artificial red signals that clear as soon as you close the doors and the non-reflective signals... if they were to make me and you and everyone happy we would have to wait 1 year per DLC and pay it 100€... I understand it's not feasible, and, until now they managed to strike a really good balance between time and effort put in a route and the actual final result, depending on what you deem important in a route some might be better (HRR, RRO, RSN, IoW, RT, ECW) some might be worse (LGV, BKL, SPG), but I think for the price point of BKL (~10€) it would be foolish to expect anything more than what we got, and we should be grateful the product we got was already more than good enough.

The stock itself it pretty cool and well modelled, maybe a bit too quiet but no major complaints.

The route, given the complexity, is decently well recreated, and they managed to capture the general feel of the route quite well in my opinion.

For me personally I enjoyed BKL just after TSW2 was launched, but then my interest died off, and got killed by the IoW, which is just BKL but better, since I don't really like driving in a tunnel.

If you go far enough back in the history of my comments you will see some of me moaning about the BKL a lot, since I set my expectations way too high, but now, after 4 months since they game has launched, I can definitely see this route as not being as awful as you might think (and as I used to think) and many of the issues are really not important.

Of course I agree the shortcoming in a route are only really noticeable if that route is close to you, for example I live in a similar climate and environment to southern France so it's easy for me to spot the difference in the landscape, but at the end, LGV ended up being decent for the price anyway.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ZeenozPlays

I can agree with you, the route is good enough for the price. I don't really care as much for the inaccuracies here with curves than I do with the sounds. I think the reason so many people complained about the Bakerloo Line is because it was the very first Subway & London Underground Route in the game. Subway/Underground Fans want to see the best possible result from a DLC like this, and after we finally got our hands on it, we were mildly disappointed.

Munich - Augsburg has stolen my interest from LIRR/BKL. I still like doing some runs on the Bakerloo Line, I like running the very few services from Queens Park/Stonebridge Park - Harrow And Wealdstone, I like putting the 38 Stock on the Underground tracks, but I just wish for that little bit more out of the route.

Hopefully they can do a bit better with any future Subway/Underground DLC's.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree, although given the complexity and the nature of the stations and environment of the London Underground network I think it was a very good job on the BKL, a part from the clipping and the small inaccuracies you found... for a higher price I can see some great DLCs coming, although I would prefer a line with a bit less tunnelling, mainly a sub-surface one, but we will see.

5. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I recall mirrors being mentioned in a very early stream. To have them working as a mirror properly would have significant impacts on performance which wouldn't be worth is for the small benefit.

6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes I remember that as well, same for the screens

• Like Like x 1
  7. ZeenozPlays

CIRCLE/H&C/MET

8. ZeenozPlays

I would love the Bakerloo so much more if those screens worked. I understand why they couldn't be animated, but ooh, that would've made me really feel like an operator.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Hopefully sounds can be improved in the future. It does annoy me when the train is quiet compared to reality

• Like Like x 2
  10. derek40p

derek40p Member

I am not in london but I have notice lots of buildings are missing

And also on the tees valley line as you at Middlesbrough station on platform 2 that's my town in real life there is multi story car park but in the game it's not there

• Like Like x 2
  11. tallboy7648

That doesn't sound surprising at this point

• Like Like x 1
  12. ZeenozPlays

I mean, we can never expect TSW to have 100% accurate scenery and buildings, but I do think monuments, anything directly next to the tracks, and notable locations should be represented properly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

Of course they can't get everything accurate but something that is close to the tracks such as the things you stated should be modeled as accurate as possible or close to accurate

• Like Like x 1
  14. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

On the PS4, there are indeed some landmarks that are missing from the game, even though they are there on the PC version. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) This is because the PS4 uses a lower LOD setting than the PC version, and those building and landmarks just so happen to be outside that range. This was apparently a mistake though, and its was supposed to be addressed according to the roadmap, buuuuuuut its been sitting there for quite a while, so I don't know whats the current situation with that.

Furthermore about that car park at Middlesbrough, the Tees Valley Line in game is set in the year 1989. Is it possible that the car park was constructed afterwards? I'd imagine it probably wasn't there in the reference photos, but I'm not entirely sure.

But that brings me to the whole point of this thread. The scenery in the game is meant to be roughly representative of the area irl, i.e. if there's some suburban housing next to the railway lines...then you will see some suburban housing roughly in the spots they should be. The same thing goes for the road layout. But the thing is, you're not going to see Jim's Autobody Repair Shop in the exact same place that it is irl. Certain buildings and structures can be copyrighted as well, which is yet another legal obstacle that developers have to take into consideration. Instead, you're going to see a bunch of assets that look close to their real life counterpart, but are otherwise generic. Everything else comes down to the environmental artists taking artistic liberty, or having things limited because of performance or some other reason. They dont have to make the scenery completely accurate, they just have to make it feel right.

• Like Like x 3
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As with all routes, the scenery is going to range from spot on, through adequate, all the way to plain wrong and for many reasons we’ve discussed a lot before. Adding lots of extra scenery to the Bakerloo line isn’t going to do much for the performance of the route, especially if the scenery that you want to add is ‘London’.

• Like Like x 2