Horn Change: Nathan M3 And M5

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by ArTrailfanRaf214, Jan 5, 2021.

1. ArTrailfanRaf214

ArTrailfanRaf214 Member

Hello all not sure if this is the right place to ask but anyone knows how to add different horns on 1 loco and each paint, for example i wanted to add Nathan M3 and M5 on the Western Pacific FP7 and D&RGW F9 but there are some issues since by default the 2 trains use the same 1 horn, an old GN S3J, i do know how to edit the proxyxmls in the horn files but if i add the M5 for the FP7, both the FP7 and F9 use the M5 and if i add the M3 for the D&RGW F9, the FP7 also uses that. Is there a way i can prevent this, i.e the FP7 having the M5 and the F9 having the M3 in the game.
    Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Well while I do know the answer to this, it is quite complicated to explain.

The way sound works in the game is through multiple redirecting .bin files. This line usually goes Engine.bin --> Horn.bin --> Horn.proxyxml
    All you simply must do is redirect the line of bin files accordingly. The best way to teach this is with an example.

So I trust you do know your way around Railworks file directories, correct? So for our example let's say I downloaded a cursed LIRR P32 repaint (it does exist), and I wanted to have the repaint use a K5LL horn common on the IRL DE/M30AC units, but want my Metro North locomotive to keep using a K5LA.

First is to go to your locomotive's audio folder, and go through RailVehicles, Diesel, etc... until you find the necessary files. In my case it's [RSC/P32Pack01/Audio/RailVehicles/Diesel/GE_P32/HORN].
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are the contents within my "HORN" folder. Screenshot (58).png
    I have my K5LL audio files and my EMD Steel Bell, but what you'll want to do is simply create a new folder, in my case I'll call it "K5LL," you'll have two and can call them M3 and M5 if you wish.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So now you'll want to copy the files necessary for that redirection path. So I'm gonna take P32 Horn Control E-Bell.bin and the proxyxml variant (don't bother with the proxybin) and copy them into the K5LL (for your case the M3 and M5) folders. Screenshot (60).png
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now here comes the truly fun part. File editing, but it's a relatively small and simple amount of changes.
    So first you'll want to go to your Engine bin file. In my case it was [RSC/P32Pack01/RailVehicles/Diesel/P32DC/LongIslandRailRoad/Locomotive].
    Screenshot (61).png
    My engine bin is GE_P32.bin, you won't necessarily need to fix the no driver version, as you won't be operating that one.

Now I'm gonna explain the file editing in this next part. *Screenshot limit is 5 per post.*

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

So now we're gonna see how to do the appropriate file editing.
    This is what we're gonna be greeted with upon opening the .bin file. (Or .xml if you used the serz method). I used the xml file already available for easy access.
    Screenshot (62).png
    You'll want to use the find feature (Ctrl+F in my case), and plug in the name of the "Horn.bin" file from earlier.
    You should have something like this:
    Screenshot (64).png
    You'll want to change this directory to conform to where the real Horn.bin (in the M3 or M5 folder) is. In my case I'm gonna add an extra \K5LL just before the filename to point to the .bin file in that folder.
    Screenshot (65).png
    Save your changes and now we'll move on to the next place. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Screenshot (66).png
    So now we must change this directory to the correct reference, a.k.a add /K5LL in our case.
    The final step is to line up the horn audio itself in the proxyxml. Proxyxmls can be opened in Notepad. And simply conform the correct file structure to the correct file location. As an example here are the start and loop files for the K5LL in proper file breakdown.
    Screenshot (67).png
    Now after you've saved everything, fire up the game and test, if anything goes wrong, check to make sure your file structure is correct with the file's placement in the folders, and if you continue to have trouble, please reply. For your context, I'd say do the M3 first, test it, and then do the M5, and test that one. Enjoy! :)

5. ArTrailfanRaf214

ArTrailfanRaf214 Member

Thank you for your help Peter and NEC Railfan, I had never known that there were also edits to be done in the RailVehicles bin files, editing from bin to xmls dosent affect anything in-game however converting from bin to xml and after editing with the M3 separate horn converted back to bin.
    For the M5 i replaced the Leslie S3J davs with the Nathan M5 wavs which was easy for the WP FP7 but a bit hard for the DRGW F9. This method can be really helpful in the future as well.
    Now can finally get rid of the S3J and listen to the old Airchime M3 and the M5s.