Replacing Loco Sounds

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kosti.nuuja, Jan 7, 2021.

1. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Hi! Can I replace the sounds of loco myself? I want to replace the DB BR 146 sounds with MRCE BR 185 sounds, because they are much more realistic.

2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Hm I doubt it is that easy, from what I understand these are coded sounds instead of simple audio files. Maybe someone with modding knowledge is able to do something like that.
    But if it were that easy, I believe someone would have enabled the oakville subdivision loco horns for the sandpatch grade locos...

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Modding sounds is definitely possible.

4. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

It is possible (also I'm actually making a sound mod right now :P), however you can only edit the sound files themselves, not how the sound in general is set up. Also you'd run into copyright issues if you take a sound from something and use it for your own thing without permission.

5. mclitke

Do you reckon that it would be possible to give the csx locos the oakville horns via a mod? People here are very unhappy with the csx horns, but the oakville horns are - at least in my opinion- alot better.
    Without background knowledge on how this even works, it kinda appears to me that this could be easier to do since the files and code should be somewhat compatible?

6. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

Well, the process is as following:
    - Unpack the .pak file (DLC) to get the original files (sounds, textures)
    - Edit/replace said files
    - Put the edited files into Unreal Engine and cook them
    - Take the cooked files and pack them back into a .pak file

In this example you just have to get the sound files from the OSD locos and replace the SPG sounds with them, however as I said in my last post, there are copyright problems if you publish such a mod since it includes other people's intellectual property. You could do it yourself and keep it private, there are some tutorials on YouTube.

7. mclitke

OK thanks for the answer. But in case of OP's post, wouldn't that mean that while they would replace the 146 sound with the 185,but not the way the sounds are brought into the game, that the same distortions would probably appear still with the replaced sounds?

8. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

As far as I know the audio resources of the 185.5 and the 146.2 are the same, the issue with the 146.2 sound lies within the scripts, so it's not possible to fix it with mods.

9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There are already CSX horn mods.

10. mclitke

do you have a good one? So far I only found one from the trainsimworldcommunity.com and I did not like the horns or sound mods for CSX on there (But the 377 Sound mod is awesome imo)