PlayStation Class 43 Loss Of Brake Pressure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mattty May, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Completing the 7.45am run on GWR using the Class 43, I was slowing in preparation of my arrival into Reading, when, despite having returned the brake lever to ‘Running’, the brake pressure continued to fall with a noticeable hissing sound. This caused me to stop well in advance of the stop marker at Reading. Odd.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You’ve most likely been tripped by the erroneous TPWS system bug that’s been around for years. I always turn the safety systems off when approaching Reading as I’ve had this happen numerous times. I think it only happens on approaching one particular platform, don’t recall which one though.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Platform 9 I think... and yes it’s a pain

• Like Like x 2
  4. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

If you have AWS activated this would also turn on the TPWS as they are linked with each other, due to there being a red signal at the end of each platform, this causes the TPWS Overspeed and train stop grids to be activated, if you go over the Overspeed detection grids at more than around 20MPH the train will automatically initiate an emergency brake application as it thinks that you are liable to have a SPAD, my advice is once you reach near the middle of the platform at London Paddington and Reading ensure that you are travelling at no more than 15 MPH, this will avoid any unwanted emergency brake applications.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The loss of brake pressure started as I approached the platform, which caused me to stop with the back end of the train not reaching the platform.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

That is very unusual, it has never happened to me before (unless it was TPWS) if I find anything I'll keep you posted

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Yes it's platform 9 this happens on.
    I never knew about the slow speed approach tpws checks for. Anyone know if there's an online resource about tpws anywhere?

8. Smograil

Smograil Member

The set speeds for each TPWS loop are published in local documents like the signal box special instructions for the controlling box, its unlikely you will find these online but I wouldn't totally rule it out

For what its worth as an ex signaller and ops manager of many years, this is a bug in my opinion. It triggers at even very low speeds, which it shouldn't. I always isolate the safety systems on approach to P9

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

matjamca which service was this? 07:45 from PAD to REA? I'll try it later.

10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yeah

11. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Experienced the same problem lots of times. I always switch aws off before reaching that platform, but it destroys the experience for me. I've crossed it at much lower speeds and it still triggers the breaks. Must be a bug.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Depends on what the speed of the TPWS grid is set at! Some are ridiculously low due to multi SPAD's at a certain location.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Smograil

Smograil Member

The clearest evidence that this is a straight forward bug is that there are no other instances (that I'm aware of at least) of a TPWS loop intervening on this route or on ECW. If it was working as designed you'd expect interventions at other locations where players approach a red signal too quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  14. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I agree. It is a bug. I have just driven a service into platform 9. I was travelling at 2mph and the breaks were applied!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Smograil

Smograil Member

Saved me some time there testing it later. I'm not sure TPWS is engineered to this sort of detail in the game anyway tbh, if you speed into Brighton, Eastbourne or paddington with safety's on coming onto the buffer stops it doesn't intervene and there will 100% be overspeed loops there in real life

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Yes most terminal platforms have them. They were introduced after the 1991 Cannon Street accident.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hopefully something TrainSim-Adam can replicate, figure out and fix

• Like Like x 1
  18. alex7

alex7 New Member

I confirm this too. It was in the previous version GWE. I thought DTG fixed this, but they didn't fix bug.

• Like Like x 1