Route Extension: Gwr Reading To Oxford

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SeaHawk14, Jan 3, 2018.

1. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

Suggestion

The current route for GWR is London Paddington to Reading. My suggestion is, rather than have the trains end at Reading, to extend the line to Oxford station like so:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 17.47.09.png
    I suggest the trains go to Oxford via Didcot Parkway modelling all stations along the route
    Several reasons for this. Firstly the line is used by all three trains modelled. The 166, 43 and 66 which are all beautifully made, get usage of the extended route.
    Secondly I think that the Class 43's don't get much running time at high speed, for the fans of HST's (myself included) I think a longer route would give us more satisfaction and use of the DLC. Current routing doesn't really allow for much satisfaction before the line comes to an end.
    Thirdly, because it's all three classes, the variety it adds is threefold, HST's get higher speeds and longer routes with the chance to stop at two brand new stations, whilst the 166's get significantly more stations. The 66's shunting cargo around also get a longer route to play with.

Future Proofing:
    As we're all aware, the 166's and 43's have a limited operational life as GWR replaces them with the new 387's and 800's. Some of the most popular suggestions are for the new locomotives which GWR ordered, as shown by the two threads attached:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/class-387-electrostar.2089/#post-17815
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/the-new-class-800-hitachi.2036/

If TSW developers seek to pursue those two models, the extended route would be in place for the new locos. It'd be future proof, with only the addition of gantries needed once the entire line is electrified.
    It's the ideal length for a new 800 to stretch it's legs :D

• Like Like x 22
  2. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

I would like GWE to be extended to Hereford via Oxford, all the way to Swansea, Penzance via Bristol and Via Westbury and the branch lines between Paddington and Reading and the ones in Devon and Cornwall.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Don't forget about the Didcot Rail Centre! That would be featured in it too, which is nice since that means a steam locomotive can be included in the extension.

For me, I'd either like to see the Great Western Mainline extended to either Banbury (featuring Oxford of course) so that it could be longer than the original Rail Simulator/Train Simulator 2018 version or have it go west of Didcot to Swindon, which was where many of the Great Western's steam locomotives and several BR diesels were also built.

• Like Like x 7
  4. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. DANNYBOY2487

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I thought they went along the same route as HST

7. DANNYBOY2487

not even all hsts go that way to Penzance only one i know is the 1C04 07:30 in the morning

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. HybridAlien

HybridAlien Member

We need this asap !!!!

9. Jalio

Jalio Active Member

Everytime I end the trip at Reading I want to carry on with the full route:(

Would love to see the DLC get route extensions.

• Like Like x 4
  10. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

I know man... I regularly do the Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington IRL, I'd love to see the full route, but it's so vast I don't think it's plausible yet. BTW, loving your avatar (very appropriate for this thread :D)

11. Randallator

Randallator New Member

I think somewhere like Swindon would be a more logical routing than Oxford which is kind of off the mainline

• Like Like x 3
  12. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

I know what you mean. In the Rail Simulator/Train Simulator 2018 version, after you leave Reading, you speed up again when suddenly the AWS goes off telling you to slow down since you cross almost all the tracks to be diverted to Oxford. That's a reason why I think extending it to Swindon would be great, so you can keep accelerating at high speed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. piotrek2302

piotrek2302 Member

Agreed on that. I would like to see some high speed operation past Didcot.

14. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

Might be worth creating a new thread? Or should I amend this one to add Swindon?
    My thinking for Oxford was for the Class 166's to get some run-time as well, from what I've seen on YouTube, it's only the 43's and 66's which go to Swindon, whereas all three classes go to Oxford. It's a good suggestion, I reckon a lot of people would want to see the whole Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington run, and Swindon would be the most logical step.

That being said, there's not been any feedback from devs so I don't even know if its going to even happen.

15. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

the route we've been given fits perfectly into a upgrade for the 'opening this year' Elizabeth line - which incorporates the Heathrow Connect Service which transfers ownership to TfL in May 2018. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/elizabeth-line-december-2019.pdf

now I know people want Paddington to come alive, and we know DTG have worked with TfL before.....Heathrow connect with its 360s and the new 345s due in May - id happily see this as an extension in the meantime.

16. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Yes that is true, but that was due to the owners being Heathrow themselves - from May 20th this year Heathrow Connect transfers ownership to Transport for London, who have licenses in place with DTG and JustTrains, so there is always a chance of Heathrow Connect being licensed (not heathrow express)

its Heathrow Express who turned down DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  17. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

I clearly failed to read your original comment properly, yes you’re quite right in what you said! Apologies, I just read Heathrow Express and jumped the gun.

18. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

haha no worries, I too had to actually search it all up to be sure, and Ill be honest, i completely disregarded there was 2 separate franchises haha.

19. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

It needs something to bring it to life.....ive never seen london paddington or reading so quiet and lifeless :-/ it does need an extension and although it should be for free i would pay if they attached a decent amount of track and gave some variety on the HST.

• Like Like x 3