Californaication Train

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rat7_mobile, Jan 9, 2021.

1. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

And when did you use MY computer, may be on yours, but on my computer it does work the way a mentioned

2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Since the game is the same for everyone it must be something that you are either not doing correct or maybe just not understanding. People here told you several times now how the brakes work and how to operate them and all you say is "no" so I fail to see what you want to hear?
    Once I set up the train after loading a service, and when not counting the button for doors, I can do the whole run with just 4 keys. 2 of them are applying power and reducing power and the other two are the automatic breaks. I apply power until reaching the speed I need to go. When a station is coming up, I will press the button to increase break force until it applies. I wait until I get some psi that will slow me down steadily and then set the breaks to hold with the decrease break force button. From there on you can fine tune via releasing.

You could use the loco break to stop at slow speeds but you really don't need to. 4 keys. And I did not change any key binding.

3. rat7_mobile

Well, with this one, I need the power to get it going, not forgetting to reset the MU2 everytime, because the PCS is ON, then to stop need to use the normal brake and to bleed it while it bleed I must apply the electrical brake to full, as sooon as it is full, release both the electrical and the normal brake, and then to use the other brake, the one that need to be bail to release, that is the way I found this locomotive works to stop

4. rat7_mobile

And do not get me wrong I appreciate what all of you are doing to help

5. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Well if it works for you this way this is fine, but it should not be this complicated. I don't remember touching the M2u any more often than once at the start... Are you sure you are not cutting off the power by reducing the power level below 0?
    And usually the air pressure should work without the need to apply secondary breaks at the same time...

6. rat7_mobile

The MU2, must be reset at every station, or red light, otherwise the PCS light is still ON

Oh and I forget to mentionnedthe method I use I am lucky if I can stop at the station witht back bumper touching the dock, and sometiem when I am even more lucky a litle more than then either bumper are one the dock

7. rat7_mobile

For the MU2, basically, from the starting station to the first station it is in the original setting, which is TRAIL, if I want to turn the PCS off to get to the next station it must then be set to LEAD, then to get to the next one it must be set to TRAIL, and so on until the last station

8. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

The MU-Valve has to be set to LEAD permanently. You never change it when you are sitting in the cab and driving it. YOu have to take care about PCS only at the beginning of the service.

9. rat7_mobile

I understand that, in the Canadian train, and the Patch I need only to set it once, but on this one, like I said before, the only way to rest the PCS light, and get the power to work again, the MU2 valve as to be change at every station, maybe it is because the normal brake is being bleed to low, but I have no idea

10. doublefine7

You can get the PCS light to get off by doing the following steps:

1. Throttle to off
    2. Reverser into Neutral
    3. Normal Brake into Emergency
    4. Wait 1-2 minutes, this is mandatory
    5. Put normal brakes into release and wait for the light to go off.
    6. Resume to normal service.

11. rat7_mobile

Step 3, means an automatic end of the run, once the brakes are in EMERGENCY, it can not be reset, and get the train going ever again
    And it alos seems that because I can not make the run in time, seconds before I can enter the last station, I am throwen a red light as I am passing the light pole (which was green when visible), and the run end but can not be completed

12. doublefine7

You know how to use your keyboard to control the normal brakes right? You know you are able to set the normal brakes from emergency to release by using the normal brake keybindings right?

13. rat7_mobile

Yes, I can return the brakes to RELEASE, but once the the EMERGENCY was triggered, it can not be reset, unless you press ESC, and then RESTART the run

14. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

He is right about the need to do PCS reset very frequently as I also saw that behaviour and I guess it may be a bug as it does not happen to the rest of locomotives. I reported it today.

But there are some important things:

1) MU-A2 valve does not need to be changed at each station. You just set it at the trip start, so once only, and do the PCS reset there. I still think the PCS open should not be triggered by just setting valve to Lead. No other engine does it. And indeed when you set it to Trail it does not happen.

2) If you have PCS light active everytime it could be because you manually applied emergency brakes when trying to stop at the station not the service brake. Anyway this should not trigger the PCS open either (only the alerter should do that) but currently it does. I guess this could also be a bug.

So after setting train at start and clear the first time the PCS open light via the brake reset you should not have it active anymore during the whole trip. Be sure to check that light indeed turns off in this first brake reset.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  15. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

If your PCS is active at every station, then that indicates that you‘re putting the brake into emergency, not service. An emergency brake application is not the end of the run though as you claim. You just need to reset PCS as described by our fellow forum members.

If you allow, I‘d like to offer a piece of advice. Start any service/scenario/journey and just stay in the station you start in. Then, instead of doing what you‘re told, just start experimenting with the brake and especially the brake keys. Vary the time you hold down the button and you‘ll soon get a feeling for how long is right. Manual lapping brakes are a lot harder to use than self lapping ones, but they do work just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rat7_mobile

Your idea is a good one except for the fact, that it take well over an hour late by the time I get to the end as it is, and it will not let me complete the run because it seems that it has a time limit to complete the run from the start

Just to reset the PCS frequently take over 5 minutes each time, plus the fact tthat to avoid over stopping at station, I discover no to exceed 80KM, and then most of the station I still have the last wagon on the dock, other wise once stop that mean back up until the las one is at the dock , which make me even later than the game allows

17. doublefine7

Read his post again please: Use that as a PRACTISE. Just try fiddling around with the brakes while you are standing on the station.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lamplight

Thanks, doublefine7. It‘s exactly what I meant.
    Just follow my advice as practice rat7_mobile. When you‘re done experimenting and have gotten used to the brakes, you should not attempt to finish that run. You should then restart or choose another service/journey/scenario which you can then succesfully complete thanks to your new knowledge. I hope this will help you.

19. rat7_mobile

I know, but in the end, I still need to do the run, I am already getting late due to the fact that going above 80KM stopping in time is not easly done, and also that the PCS need well over 5 mniutes to be reset every time

Being standing at the station does not tell you how the train work, aplling the brake when not leaving the station does not much, I can even use the mouse when it is not moving from the station to apply the brake, because then I do not need to see the tracks, but that will still not be of use when moving, will not tell me if it brake fast or slow when going up at 350 or going down at the same 350

20. Lamplight

No, you can just quit or restart.

I thought your problem was using the brake keys to find the lap position. In that case take my advice and practise. But now you‘re saying your problem is finding the right pressure for breaking?

Be that as it may, practice using the keys on your keyboard to apply a desired pressure of breaking (which you can do standing still in a station) and all else will come naturally. As long as you can‘t apply a desired pressure with your brake keys, I‘d advice against actually trying to drive the train.

21. rat7_mobile

The train does not hold a brake setting, except with the electrical and the other brake, the normal brake is not design to hold a brake setting, so now I must find on the run if it is possible at all when to start to bleed the normal brake and apply the electrical (which is use as a timer), so I would be below 20KM when I reach the dock so I can then use the other brake to hopefully stop with just more than the last wagon on the dock, and still have the 5 minute needed to reset the PCS

22. Lamplight

Yes, it is. As we explained numerous times now: Put the brake handle into service, wait for pressure in the brake cylinder to rise to the desired level, put the brake handle back into the lap position. The brakes now hold the desired pressure.

23. rat7_mobile

In TSW, I was told to go down to 100 on the middle gauge
    Is TWS2 programmed different

24. Lamplight

I don‘t remember what the middle gauge is from the top of my head, but from the context I assume it‘s the brake pipe pressure. Where does that conflict with what we‘ve been telling you? It‘s saying the same thing we are.

Just to clarify: You can use either brake pipe pressure or brake cylinder pressure as a measure for how much you apllied the brakes. So you can wait for brake cylinder pressure to rise or for brake pipe pressure to drop; same thing.

25. rat7_mobile

OK, but in my case, I can not get the LAP step after the brake is bleeding, I can before but not after, after it does only go to the REALSE step.

SO to amke a braking, I do like I said before using the electrical brake as a timer, and then the other brake to stop, when ever it decide as this one I can reduce and add brake force to it, except that it seems weaker than the normal brake and the electrical

26. Lamplight

And that is exactly why I adviced you to practice in a station in a run which you don‘t continue. You say you can‘t get the brake in the lap position after you put it into service. Practice this in a standing train, because you most definitely can put the brake back into lap.
    Practice this like I described and you‘ll be able to do it in an actual run.

27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

These are manually-lapped brakes (also found on the NTP Class 45 and 47), which are a bit more challenging to use than the auto-lapped brakes found on other diesels like the Class 66 or those in Sand Patch. The thing to remember is that when you set the brake laver to "apply" or "service," the amount of brake force will continue to increase, all the way to Full Service (100%), unless you tell the system, in effect, "That's all the brakes I need, this much is good" by moving the lever to Lap. "Lap" means, basically, "maintain the current brake pressure." If you have been running free and have no pressure in the cylinder, Lap does nothing.

28. Lamplight

Small correction: The class 45 and class 47 have self lapping brakes. Perhaps you‘re thinking of the class 101 on NTP?

29. solicitr

You're right. I knew there was another reason I hate driving the 101 besides changing gears!

30. rat7_mobile

People please, before telling mis-information here verify

I was finnally able to activate the doulbe-shift gear british train, and it does have the option to LAP brake, and the way to do it is by using the key that is immediately to the left of the right-hand SHIFT key

31. solicitr

Actually, you can. Go to Settings -> Controls -> Keyboard Controls; you can remap as you please.

32. rat7_mobile

Remapping does not work on the version that I have, but the fact remains that many people here told me that there is no such thing as the keybaod action for the LAP, and that the california trains are defective as the key does not work

33. solicitr

If you are on PC, you have the same version all the rest of us have

34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

See the first quote from me above. You were saying it could be done on the American train as well in TSW2020, which isn’t true. No misinformation from me, just facts.

Class 101 = double-shift gear British train
    F40 = American train with lapped brakes.

• Like Like x 2