Ideas For Steam

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thomastl59374, Jan 10, 2021.

1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the wish for a steam loco and route on TSW2 is granted soon. Here are some suggestions on what services and types of operations you could have.
    The option to play as the fireman or driver by selecting to stand/sit in the relevant position with an NPC doing the other job.
    A service mode idea could be setting up a loco early in the morning doing tasks such as oiling the moving parts, lighting the fire and filling the tender or bunker with coal and water. These tasks could be divided into separate services in order to allow for the possible time difference.
    If anyone else has any suggestions on routes or types of operations feel free to post them below.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Brad_Jf

Brad_Jf Member

Yeah, I like that. Like a scenario for starting the engine up and raising steam. Doing the run for the day and it’s duties. And then dropping the fire and cleaning it all down and putting back into shed. It does sound a bit complex but I’m sure dtg can do it. And it would make the experience of steam 10x better. Because it has so many different principles to driving diesels. And I want steam in the game more than anyone in the world. And I think we all feel this way. Something needs to be done soon to make the game more popular and make it more exciting. It’s getting boring by just driving an ice up and down koln and Aachen. It’s what the people want. Sorry that this is long winded. But i am so desperate for steam and I hope it comes out soon on tsw and for console

• Like Like x 2
  3. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

an Idea for a for a Steam Locomotive DLC are The Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad or the Puffing Billy Railway in Australia are good candidates for TSW Steam Locomotive DLC Routes

• Like Like x 3
  4. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

Just seen latest article on Dovetail Live! I wonder what the route and locos will be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

How about the Fontaine!

Abdill%20Fontaine%20a[1].jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It'd be an ambitious first step but Flying Scotsman is the most famous locomotive in the world and toured the USA. Everybody's heard of her and a lot of people could contrive some excuse for running her.

7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

My personal favorites are the SP Daylight and of course the UP monsters (Big Boy and Challenger).

About british I love almost all of them, of course streamlined A4s and the A3 are fantastic, also I always loved the look of the Merchant Navy class, but anything would look awesome in Southern green. Maybe a Settle-Carlisle for a route

Sadly I'm not very knowledgeable about german steam traction :(

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BluePasta#4721

BluePasta#4721 New Member

Brocken Railway sounds cool for steam. It goes on pretty big inclines and ends at top of a mountain. Loco would be DB BR 99 i would think

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. luis1mico

luis1mico New Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. luis1mico

luis1mico New Member

Big Boy for example.

11. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

Flying Scotsman, no question.

12. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would think that DTG would start small with something like the Ffestiniog. A narrow gauge steam route would be fantastic. Of course I want the UP Big Boys, Challengers, and FEFs. Flying Scotsman, Mallard, and other British steam locos would be awesome in TSW2. I also really want SP GS4 4-8-4s, SP Cab Forwards, NYC Hudsons, Mowhawks, and Niagaras, PRR T1, S1, Q1, and Q2 Duplexes, H10 Consolidations, J1 2-10-4s, M1a/b Mountains, and K4 Pacifics.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Personally don't really wanna see anything from UP, at least not the big engines, Smokebox's a hard act to beat, and I don't see DTG beating him. If there's anything from UP I'd rather see focus on smaller types, like the 2-8-2's or 2-8-0's, maybe for a short line or something like that.

In general would rather see focus on some of the railroads that haven't been done much yet, the N&W in particular comes to mind, maybe see some Canadian steam.

• Like Like x 1
  14. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

I'd like to see some more bread and butter types of American steam routes, as cool as things like the Big Boy, Challenger, Cab Forward and the like are cool, I feel like the average american steam loco of the 30s-50s is kinda under-represented.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Something like the USRA 2-8-2 would be fantastic, you could include it with so many steam era routes, just slap a different logo on it and you can call it a day. Also there's many designs that spawned from the USRA types, so it would also potentially allow for making other types that were based on it. It would basically be the steam equivalent of the SD40-2 or the GEVO's, a common type that you can include with pretty much every route.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

How about something geared? Like a Shay, Climax or Heisler?

-Shay
    Wv262.jpg

-Climax
    7fdeba9930b3b84d9008268561749aeb.jpg

-Heisler
    Heisler_locomotive_-_2_cylinders_in__V__configuration_(3153874023).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Cass would be great, and I reckon wouldn't be too hard to do, short route, lots of video and other reference material, and I doubt rights are a issue, hell, I'm sure a op like them wouldn't mind the publicly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Maybe the next licence will be from the estate of the Reverend W Awdry.... :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

Durango-Silverton railroad in Colorado would be awesome. It's a narrow gauge 45 mi route with multiple different steam locos + diesel. Lots of curves and tight edges around the mountains. Rode this when I was a kid and loved every minute of it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  21. Brad_Jf

Brad_Jf Member

Maybe not that

• Like Like x 1
  22. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Call me controversial, but I wouldn't want to see any of the big name steam locos for the first steam DLC. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to eventually see the likes of the Flying Scotsman, a Big Boy, an A4 etc, etc become available for DLC, but if past experiences are anything to go by, I imagine that there will be quite a few teething troubles and bugs galore to iron out with a brand spanking new steam 'concept'. I'm all for the start small, fix the big, obvious issues reported by players, then go big once any game breaker issues have been sorted approach.

Looking forward to and forking out for an A4 DLC for example, then finding that it's riddled of annoying issues and needs an entire ruck of fixes listed on the next roadmap or two before it's an enjoyable playing experience would just make me want to hurt things and break people on an industrial level.

• Like Like x 1
  23. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Incredibly wishful thinking but I'd love an A1 or A1x Terrier somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  24. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

they could go with Stephenson's Rocket just for laughs

• Like Like x 2
  25. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If you wanted to make a simple steam loco to get the basics down then it actually won't be a bad idea. It seems people have the idea that that just going with something smaller would be simpler. But really the difference in complexity tends to come more from age than size, so if you wanted something simple just to get the basics of steam right it wouldn't be a bad idea. Granted I don't think something super early like Rocket would be a particularly particularly good choice given the fairly limited service lives they had. But something like Corris or Talyllyn would be excellent in my opinion, the most complex thing about those engines is lubricating them, outside of that they're surprising simple things to operate.

• Like Like x 1
  26. CenturionGreg

CenturionGreg New Member

3463.DSC_7879.JPG
    This.

• Like Like x 2
  27. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Flying Scotsman and Tornado would be perfect steam locomotives for Train Sim World 2. Especially Mallard and Green Arrow.

28. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Having just been driving along the Wear Valley line up to Wear Head on TS1 it struck me that that would look great on TSW. Throw in a J21, some ancient NER carriages and some wagons you could have quite a variety of local passenger, pick up freight, freight from the steel works, freight from the Limestone quarry, freight from the brick works. The lush scenery, which looks good on TS1 would come out very well on TSW.

My ultimate wish would be for a recreation of Riviera in the 50's, probably not with five loco's, a prairie, hall and castle will do with some Collett carriages and the inevitable mark 1's plus suitable freight. The service mode timetable could recreate a 1950's summer Saturday where trains would be forming a queue at signals along the Dawlish sea wall due to the volume of traffic and hold ups at the bottle neck which was Paignton. You could have a autotank and auto trailer as DLC for the Brixham branch, maybe add in the Moretonhampstead branch and you could run the auto train on that too as they worked that line. There would be a huge amount of DLC potential on this route, not just with steam but with green diesel hydraulics too!

29. barrrybeet

barrrybeet New Member

30. barrrybeet

barrrybeet New Member

Fly Scotland seven Valley

31. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Where would they operate though? I don't believe any of the routes would really make a lot of sense for any of them. Only place that makes some sense is West Somerset, but who really wants to be driving these engines on a slow heritage line? These are some of the fastest main line engines in Britain, people are gonna want to run them fast. I think it only makes sense to do A3s & A4s with a ECML route of some sort seeing as it was their main stomping ground, and I don't see that out the bat.

32. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well Tornado is a LNER engine by identity but it is a modern take on it. It has worked all over the UK on railtours and preserved lines so the same rules don't really apply. The same goes for Flying Scotsman, I suspect since preservation it has worked away from it's traditional stamping ground from steam days than it has worked there!