Train Sim World 2 - Bringing Steam To Tsw2

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 12, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Read the article HERE.

We'll have regular updates on how steam is progressing through the development process over the months to its release. In the next article we'll talk about how SimuGraph and Train Sim World's physics systems are being enhanced to give players the feel of managing a steam engine, and how the role of fireman is integrated into the experience.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 35
  2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Oh :o
    Seems nice, hopefully this all goes well and isn't a buggy mess.
    Although I won't get my hopes up.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

4. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I have the biggest grin on my face right now! Glad to hear it's officially on the way now :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Finally, steam locos are coming to TSW. Can't wait to see how the mechanics work for this beast. Sure be one heck of a drive when it's ready.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

If US steam comes in the future, hopefully they are better than the old RSC models on Train Simulator, those things were awful...

7. jthornalley

jthornalley Member

It was said when TSW2 was announced that steam would require an engine upgrade so I would guess that an engine upgrade is taking place as well.Its just if it is an unreal engine upgrade to a newer version or just something on top of the current version.

8. eighty.aitch

eighty.aitch Member

I am so ready.

9. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

'When I think about steam trains there's preserved or heritage rail which are superb, but what I really want is steam in its natural environment'

I like this hint that a steam era route could be coming too :) I hope so because Western Lines of Scotland was one of my favourite routes in Train Simulator :)

• Like Like x 5
  10. eighty.aitch

eighty.aitch Member

And even better it'll be period accurate. I love preserved and heritage locos, and new builds like Tornado, but sign me up absolutely for 1950s/60s steam in it's element.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bail60163

bail60163 New Member

As a Steam Fireman on the WSR and a software developer, I know the challenge that you guys have with this! I can't wait to see what you come up with. If you need any help with creating an authentic experience, please get in contact! I'd love to help if it meant a more realistic product. There's nothing better than working up a bank with a heavy train on the mark with a good water level... Sound and feel is everything!!!

• Like Like x 7
  12. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

I applaud DTG for being transparent and openly discussing major features so early in the developmental phase!
    Thank you for sharing this information/progression with the community and keeping us updated!
    I'm sooooo psyched!! :D

• Like Like x 4
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Looking forward to steam locomotives! It's a welcome change from the modern trains I already have in my collection.

14. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t expecting this, wow! I expected it to be something small, like livery sharing or a new secret route. Not to pry, since I know that you don’t give dates, but can we expect steam by summer? I cannot wait!

15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This is really great news. I think Paul said sensible things, we do not have 8 years of training before we can start driving. Also, I definitely do not want to see the controls only when driving. I hope this will be solved as well. To be honest, for me the outside is more exciting than the cab to view. Maybe we really need TrackIR now .... Well, this is in production now

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the release of Steam loco's

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Exciting news!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what routes might be introduced to the game for steam

19. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There is no hint at this time it will be several months yet before any loco's are ready.

20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Well if they’ll release a DLC set in the 70s for GWE they’ll probably do a steam one in current era running under catenary

21. RetiredPaul

RetiredPaul New Member

Be interesting to see if you can choose your role. Do you want to be the fireman to an experienced driver? Are you ready to take control of the regulator yourself, while the fireman keeps a good head of steam? Can you cope with both at the same time?

Adding a steam locomotive or two to West Somerset would give it a starting environment, but you would have the same trouble as with the diesels - you have to spend all your time keeping the speed down rather than letting rip!

• Like Like x 4
  22. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

The SimuGraph will be amazing and will take some managing! The development will be a great journey, thanks for bringing us along.

Business wise, I guess the first loco will have to be one with wider public appeal, so perhaps Flying Scotsman.

If DTG are making a route for it, then that could be problematic. A ~54mile, hour long stretch of the London to Edinburgh racetrack. Historic routes take a lot of effort, and DTG have not produced a historic version of the route for TS, so no reference material. I don't believe that the route is particularly iconic or challenging, like the Settle and Carlisle (which is LMS). So the challenge, in difficult mode, will have to come from the weight of the train and/or degraded systems.

AI locos will be needed. I wonder how basic they can be and how much work involved. [Edit: on the Clinchfield launch, Matt said that AI doesn't use SimuGraph. Which is entirely reasonable as huge cost and no benefit.]

I wonder if a generic basic prototype has been produced.

Fascinating stuff - what a great project to be involved in.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. bothofus306

bothofus306 New Member

I know this probly isn't a nod at multiplayer when or if we get it but the part about how the fireman is interrelated got me kinda excited for the possibility of multiplayer

• Like Like x 3
  24. ArTrailfanRaf214

ArTrailfanRaf214 Member

Amazing news on the Steam Trains coming to TSW2, the GWR Hall would be a great addition to the GWE and the WSR.

25. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

No chance. It will take a lot of development time. I do not expect anything before the summer. If you have a look at what Paul Jackson says, it may be we get a new historic route for the first steam engine. This is speculation of course, but it would be awesome.

Only thing to expect in near future is a new article on Simugraph for steam in a month or so...

• Like Like x 2
  26. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Not sure in a stream some moths ago Sam "revealed" it would probably be a small engine. It can be British or German, maybe it also will have a US flavour (one of the war engines) ... Best solution of course would be to choose for a Dutch steam engine from a British manufacturer.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Coastway trainspotter

It depends if dtg can simulate the fireman . It would also be good if steam trains come out with a new route as well

28. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Absolutely thrilled by this. Yes, we have been dreaming of this since the beginning of TSW, as others said; thanks for opening up on your plans. Now, we have been waiting so long, so do remember that the community probably care more about the love you put into it rather than the speed of development. I retrospect, a lot of work has gone into in both TSW/TSW2 regarding the diesels and electrics as well as the huge amount of top quality 3rd party steam engines for TS, so obviously I'm very excited that DTG now feel confident enough to begin this voyage - there should be a good portion of knowledge on how to approach this. Paul's interiew bodes well for what the team will strive for.
    Has it been worth the wait? We will see, but I say that the recent productions, and the implementation of preserved collection together with the engine update has reassured me quite a lot that TSW can get this right. Looking very much forward to read every bit of news regarding this.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Whistler

Whistler New Member

Great to hear that Steam engines are coming soon to the TSW platform, as much as I will enjoy the expert controls of a steam locomotive , I think a simplified version would encourage more people to purchase a steam loco. Keep it simple regulator on ,regulator off, brake on, brake off, whistle, everything else automatic. Virtual drivers can then switch on other options to enhance the experience until they are using all the elements involved in driving a steam locomotive. This would benefit console users who have limited options on there controllers. Does anybody else agree a simplified version would benefit both developer and the end user?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sam was eager to stress in the stream last night that it’s going to be a long time before we see steam trains in game. There is a lot the developers have to figure out before it becomes a reality. It’s interesting, on that basis, that they’ve announced it so soon.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Coastway trainspotter

Yup I think this would be better

32. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Obviously WSR...
    Maybe we could wish for West Highland or Settle & Carlisle? All depends if set in current (recent) period or historic with steam holding sway.

Then again I'm presuming UK and mainline. Who's not to say Harz Mountain Railway or any number of narrow gauge, rack and pinion railways around the world?

• Like Like x 1
  33. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

The "Jacobite" has an 84 mile round trip on West Highland Line. York - Scarborough is also apparently 42 miles! Whilst S&C is 73 miles, but DTG have spoken about doing longer routes utilising Google Maps and satellite imagery?

• Like Like x 1
  34. real1life

real1life New Member

I'm really hyped.
    I can imagine that all of this is a very difficult process to develop steam, but if all goes smoothly, than I would love to see and drive some legendary steam locos like the ultimate beast Union Pacific 4014 "Big Boy" or the "Flying Scotsman" in the future. :love:

35. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Forget about the word soon. They just started developing the SimuGraph part of it, so it will take a long time, as Sam said.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

To be honest — I rather enjoy firing along with the driving — I turned off the auto-firemen in TS Classic way back in 2014. Driving a steamer without having to maintain the kettle yourself is, to me, missing half the challenge.

• Like Like x 3
  37. khalidaliishmail

khalidaliishmail Active Member

This is great news. Been waiting years for steam to be incorporated into TSW. The option to play as the driver with an AI fireman or play as the fireman with an AI driver would be great. I'd hope to play with full simulation difficulty with an AI fireman, as simultaneously driving and firing an engine that is manually fired and has a large firebox, such as a Coronation/Duchess 4-6-2 or DRG BR 45 2-10-2 would be unrealistic as the fireman generally has a very demanding job and rarely puts the shovel down. However it would be interesting to have the ability to handle both at once.

38. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I don't like steam! I want a gas turbine! That thing melts holes into bridges!
    :D

Actually an A4 at 100mph would be pretty cool though.......

• Like Like x 1
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There are some great North American steam locomotives - just imagine driving a Big Boy, Challenger, Berkshire or GS-4 etc. I'm not a diehard steam fan, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some of those.

• Like Like x 1
  40. vogelm10

Honestly....if we are doing North American......make it the streamlined trains. How sick would Chicago to South Bend with either 20th Century limited or Broadway Limited be? Or Chicago to Milwaukee with the Hiawatha! Any streamlined passenger runs would be sick.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Indeed. I do sound like a broken record, but 561E4380-F883-4340-A38D-ABE274850583.jpeg isn‘t this absolutely stunning?:D I‘d love driving one of these beasts!

Edit: PRR T1 for those that don‘t know

• Like Like x 6
  42. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That is huge!

• Like Like x 2
  43. vogelm10

I was thinking more the K4 myself haha

44. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Interesting as well. I just can‘t resist suggesting the T1 whenever I can:D

• Like Like x 1
  45. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

All amazing suggestions, Big Boy through to Wyoming, Flying Scotsman from KX to York, Chicago to Milwaukee with a Streamliner...
    Has DTG been bought out by Disney and these suggestions are now plausible? No, unless we are flying off in Ron Weasley's Herald to Dreamland? Give yourself peace!

You'll all be hating on DTG having released a GWR Tank on WSR.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Coastway trainspotter

Yep hopefully we get some of these routes and locos

47. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

As you are new, welcome. Have a good afternoon perusing the DTG official twitch streams for some info on how DTG actually do things.

These facts will arm you well as you dip your toes into this salt infested well of hate, welcome.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Coastway trainspotter

Actually I just changed account . The forums aren’t that bad

49. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

As an experiment, scroll up this thread, which was a "positive thanks to DTG" and see who raised their pitchforks, and then discussed how entitled they were to do so.

You'll see a common theme emerge....

• Like Like x 3
  50. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think this thread has been negative. Almost all of the posts reflect an air of gratitude and anticipation.

• Like Like x 1