Cane Creek Branch: Suggestions And Dlc Idea's

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So with Cane Creek currently in production by Skyhook games, I thought I'd offer up some ideas for the paint schemes for the 2 units coming with it, the rolling stock that should come with it, as well as some DLC ideas.

Liveries

-AC4400CW

Building America Scheme

So the 1st scheme that should be included in the route would be UP's Building America scheme, which it started using in 2002, and has been the main scheme ever since, identified by the Large USA Flag on the side, the lightning bolt scheme, and the UP Wings logo on the nose.
    aDSC_0870 UP 6280.jpg

UP Lettering
    An alternate scheme that can come with Cane Creek is the Lettering scheme that came around I believe in the 1990's. Now there are 2 variations on this scheme, 1 come in the more basic Armor Yellow and harbor mist grey, and the UP Shield logo on the nose, another version comes with the newer lighting bolt scheme with the wing logos. Either one would be great to come with Cane Creek.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    cf1b9706818001b55dc9b6849eb39f30.jpg

-SD40-2
    Standard Scheme

For the SD40-2, the basic scheme that was seen thru the 90's would be the primary scheme for the locos, with a simple scheme, lettering, and the UP shield on the nose.
    91dd14dd8dbf6d7eec00372bb08f7bdc.jpg

SD40N Scheme
    The alternate scheme that can be used is the SD40N rebuild schemes, which are similar to the AC44's schemes, with the lightning bolt scheme and a small wing logo on the nose, as well as the Building America text on the end of the long hood.
    996-90756v0_20180218.jpg

-Rolling Stock

Based on what I'm seeing on the local trains, there is only about 2 types of railcars that are seen on the line.

3 Bay Covered Hopper (Gravity Outlets)
    One of the main cars on the local seem to be 3 bay covered hoppers, with gravity style outlets, these can be either the older style or newer style cars. (Both would be preferred). I've also seen some cylindrical hoppers as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tank Car (Unknown)
    Another thing I noticed, are these tank cars, however, I am unfamiliar with what load they carry, or the type of fitting mounted to the top of the cars, but I'm gonna assume it is not hazardous due to the lack of placards on the cars.
    [​IMG]

Radioactive Tailings Equipment
    So, in hope to add more activity to the line, I think the radioactive tailing container trains that run from Moab to Crescent Junction should also come with Cane Creek as well, in order to have more activity on the line than just the once a week local.

From what I'm seeing, these trains run with specialty built Spine Cars different that what is used in Intermodal Service.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These trains also run with a buffer car at each end, these seem to be either old coal hoppers or a simple low gondola.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

DLC Ideas

EMD SD40T-2
    After the Union Pacific acquired the Southern Pacific Railroad, they ended up owning all of the SD40T-2 that were produced, alot of the old Rio Grande Tunnel Motors still were running in service in and around Utah, including Cane Creek. If these came, they could come in UP paint and Rio Grande Paint (As some unpatched models still ran on the line into the mid 2000's)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EMD SD70M
    UP was the largest purchaser of SD70M's, with them ordering almost 1500 units, as well as acquiring the SD70M's formerly owned by the Southern Pacific. UP rosters 3 variations of the SD70M, the earlier version with flat radiators, and the newer versions with flared radiators, with either 2 large radiator panels, or the later version with 4 square radiator panels. Any one of these 3 variations could make a good addon for Cane Creek. Paint Schemes would be similar to the AC44's.
    [​IMG]

EMD SD70ACe
    The successor to the SD70M, the SD70ACe could also be added as a DLC for the route, the locomotive was produced starting in 2004. The UP rosters over 500 original SD70ACes, as well as 250+ SD70AHs, heavier variations of the SD70ACe that weigh 8,000lbs more, and were made between 2014 and 2016. The Denver& Rio Grande Western Heritage unit could also come as DLC, as the line is former DRGW trackage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously some ideas can change as we learn more of the route as it moves farther up the roadmap.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 22
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Great suggestions. I'm eagerly waiting on more information about this route!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Honestly don't like the idea of adding more engines for this route, at least on paper. For the most part they've largely just been sliding NA locos into existing services, which granted for types like the MP36 works out considering the fairly extensive and complete service mode of its home route. However considering the very limited services on Cane Creek in real life I'm concerned it would end up like WSR where you have a lot of locomotives that can be used, but with very few services to use them with. Factoring that in I'd rather see them saved for later UP routes like say a revised Granger Heartland for example.

Just my two cents, and considering how well received WSR and the add-on locos on clearly a lot of people probably wouldn't mind that much. Also this is of course assuming that Skyhook are going to have a single small service mode similar to reality, when they could end up making it a lot busier if they're willing to deviate from it I'm sure.

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Blacknred81, You whetted my appetite with this thread!
    I can not wait :(

• Like Like x 5
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd love the D&RGW Heritage SD70ACe. I'd also like to suggest an SD90/43MAC, SD60M, or GP60.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Blacknred81

I think the big key here is how much of the actual mainline Skyhook games decides to add to the route. The branch line is only about 36 miles long, so they have about 20 miles to play with.

To the east of the branchline, Thompson Springs is only about 5-6 miles away from Crescent Junction, could be used as a start point for Westbound trains and the local.

The next named community is Cisco, which is 30 miles to the east, and may be a bit too far to add.

To the west, the next town is Green River, about 21 miles to the West, which may be a bit of a stretch,

So a 36 miles Branchline with a 27 mile Mainline could liven up the line. Not to mention the scenery out there is just as spectacular as Cane Creek.
    aaaaa.png
    237.jpg
    BNSF 5336-Green River, UT-11-10-06.jpg
    File1020ii.jpg UP_6565.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  7. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

This is great, and I would suggest the heritage liveries for the SD70ACE, if they become available for the route of course! I would also suggest some additional GE locomotives to go with the route, such as GE ES44AC or ET44AC locomotives, as seen in the video, which would also make the route more realistic imo.

• Like Like x 5
  8. JGRudnick

That is a great idea to extend the route out on the mainline. It would be perfect for starting/ending services on for the branch, as well as allow more services. I guess we'll find out when they give us more info.

• Like Like x 3
  9. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Hope all mentioned things, including longer route, and extra locomotives will be available too!

I do not understand why select this really short branch line. It is on semi desert area, so here there no mayor problems about details, as there are no so many different objects design and to include. As I have suggested several months ago.
    Lovers of US big freight trains, prefer longer routes.

I believe the AC4400CW, will get the regular trucks, and not the ones of the CSX, considering UP does not have them.
    And other modifications required as the position of the numbers.
    So finally this model will be like much railroad names uses, and be more useful for the Livery Designer tool.

But I expected to have the much modern ES44AC model instead.
    Also other new models we do not have today.
    Mainly if the designer it is another company. I fell a bit disappointed about it.
    So SD70ACE or SD70M, would be what I believe most people was asking and waiting for.
    Furthermore other types of freight cars be available too.

But frankly speaking as it is indicated on the Roadmap, unfortunately I believe our desires will not be accomplished.
    The route will be that short, and the locomotives will be the 2 we already have on CSX , but with UP livery.
    I have my doubts if this route will be worth it, considering those facts...

Really hope I am wrong, and Skyhook surprise us about it..

• Like Like x 6
  10. Blacknred81

While the trucks will most likely be true, the number board position may stay the same, as UP does roster a few AC44's with the numbers on the nose, I think these were earlier orders. Though I would prefer if we got the ones with the boards above the cab.

An example of both variations I took a few days ago.
    -UP 6485 was built in 2000 and has them above the cab.
    -UP 6781 was built in 1996 and has them on the nose.
    IMG_0089.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I personally think it would be possible to extend existing lines, such as Cumberland county's extension lines

• Like Like x 1
  12. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Yes, I prefer the numbers above the cab windows too.
    With every concentrated on the nose, the upper part looks simple.
    Even other modern models it have the bigger side windows, divided in 4 parts.
    I mean with the same rear radiators.
    Not talking about the ES44AC for example

• Like Like x 2
  13. MetrolinkF125#916

Me too, I hope we get all the new stuff with this route, especially different locomotives. The ES44 is a very common loco amongst US railroads so it wouldn’t be a bad idea at all to include it, but then again DTG is still teaching the other developers like skyhook to use the TSW editing tools, so they are new to them and would have to start with existing locos so they can import the file directly and change the number boards, trucks, and livery. They would also have to start with a route that doesn’t have multiple different aspects, so they probably chose a desert route for this. Another thing would be the length so they would start small and then once they get the hang of the tools they can practically recreate Sherman Hill with 7 locos and 60 miles of track. But yes I would’ve liked them to bring us game changing locos, such as the ES44 and SD70ACE or SD70M, locos most people here (including me) have always wanted in the game. So I agree and I also hope that skyhook will surprise us with a longer route than expected, anyways they haven’t released any official details of the length, much less exactly where it’ll take place.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MetrolinkF125#916

Also, I’m pretty sure that the ones stated in the roadmap are the official locos for the route, or else they probably would’ve changed it by now. But hey, it’s still in planning so things can change any time, unless they want the route to take place in the 90s.:)

15. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. MetrolinkF125#916

• Like Like x 2
  17. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

This is probably my most anticipated upcoming route coming to TSW

• Like Like x 3
  18. Blacknred81

So, some big new just dropped today from Rocky Mountaineer, they are apparently bringing a train to the Moffat route, running between Denver, Co and Moab, Ut. Meaning the branch line will actually see some passenger service starting late next year. Unsure if this could be used as a dlc for the route once it drops, but it is interesting to note.
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...in-journey-in-the-usa-for-2021-301176711.html

• Like Like x 3
  19. 59321747

Will DTG drive the Rocky Mountain route? If this route does not exceed 60 miles at most, I might as well go directly to the YouTube video site to watch it.
    I still hope that DTG can take some other American routes, such as the more famous route in Cajon Valley, because train fans like it. There is no cumbersome modeling of cities, they are all natural scenery, and it is easy to draw geographic maps.

• Like Like x 2
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just checking - is this the route that was in Trainmaster 4? Also had freeware versions in Trainz and MSTS.

If so, I am seriously pumped for this - Day 1 purchase!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blacknred81

Never actually head of that, but a quick google search show that, yes the Cane Creek Branchline was in Trainmaster 4: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/content.php?529-TrainMaster-4

• Like Like x 2
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As this is the first route made by the third party developer in question it’s no surprise that it’s a short simple route. As for suggesting what should come with the route, I think that will have already been decided before we knew of its existence. I know that it’s in the production stage now but even so, I doubt the ‘In Planning’ section of the roadmap denotes something someone is just thinking about. The plans of what they intend to produce would be set in stone before it got to that stage.

• Like Like x 1
  23. MetrolinkF125#916

Hmm, that is interesting, but would the add on passenger route be in the same location and run on the same track as the UP Route? If it is then it could just mean once service begins DTG can go do some research make the locos and coaches and release the dlc, or maybe another third party dev would make it, but the real life route isn’t even in service yet so ig we can’t jump to conclusions.

24. Blacknred81

So I accidentally came across what I assume are the cars used on the Uranium Tailing trains. They are specialty built spine cars that come in 2-unit sets, they are also used in waste hauling as well.
    20210112_125440.jpg new car.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  25. MetrolinkF125#916

So I assume the cars mentioned above are similar to these, of course loaded. So they’re similar to the trash cars in NEC, since they already have the data for those DTG would most likely use the design for the first image, but the second one looks more realistic IMO, at least closer to the ones featured above.
    upload_2021-1-12_13-33-30.jpeg

upload_2021-1-12_13-33-56.jpeg

26. Blacknred81

The 1st photo you posted is what was used in the NEC route, 85ft flat cars. However, the Uranium Tailing trains from what I've seen only used the 2-unit articulated cars as seen in your 2nd Image, so if the route were to be accurate, then Skyhook would have to build the cars from scratch.
    FR-06.jpg
    Moab-UMTRA-05-700x559.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  27. MetrolinkF125#916

Oh so this means there would be a new type of freight car with this route, nice. But that’s if they make the route accurately, which includes these double unit spine cars, if not then maybe we’ll have a revisit of the NEC cars in a different color, maybe.

28. MetrolinkF125#916

Well I guess we’ll have to wait till DTG confirms this data in the official route announcement, which won’t arrive until the coming months maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  29. GildenSpikeRailVideos

GildenSpikeRailVideos Member

I believe the tank cars carry sulfur. That is what many locals carry on this line.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Can see this route being awesome. Can also see it being lame. Hoping for awesome since NA freight is what I prefer to play.

• Like Like x 2
  31. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes I'm kind of blowing hot and cold on it myself now. Basically as per the Trainmaster 4, MSTS and Trainz versions - absolutely fantastic scenery but not much to actually do, unless they provide enhanced levels of traffic on the branch. I don't believe there are any passing sidings or any industry along the way either so not like you can do as in Run 8 and form up a local to run down the branch shunting sidings as you go. From what I've read it's basically one train down, drop off the empty cars, pick up the loaded and return - a few times a week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Blacknred81

Yeah that is one thing that concerns me, with single line track for most of the branch line, and no passing sidings, I don't see how there can be more than 1-2 services for this route.
    -The Potash Local from Grand Junction to Potash
    -The Uranium Tailing trains (If we get them) from Moab to Crescent Junction near the start of the branch line.

And the closest thing to a siding is this stretch of abandoned track, that looks like used to take truckloads of something way off to the left of the photo. (Probably left over from the Rio Grande Days)
    aaaaa.png

But hey there's Dinos on the other side of the crossing.
    aaaa.png

I just hope Skyhook Games does include part of the mainline, as I think that is what will make or break this routes replayability factor.

• Like Like x 5
  33. 59321747

I also hope that there is a section of the main road, otherwise the single track may be too boring

• Like Like x 1
  34. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Honestly if all the interesting traffic is from the bloody main then why even make the branch? Because even if it has the main we're only gonna have a short 10 mile portion of it at the most. If focus was placed on the main instead we could probably have a nice 30-40 mile chunk of it and have some decent UP main line action going. But as of right now the reviews are gonna be something like "Well the branch is nice looking but it has nothing to do on it, and the main line's busy but those service are no more than 10 minutes each, should be longer." then que a big thumbs down. I'm sure it will have its fans, there's certainly some people that can get into slow single line branches, but I don't think it's gonna be particularly popular.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Still, no matter how much mainline track is included, a branch line is still a branch line. While it may look like it would not have the most gameplay value (Compare to others), at least for me it's the closest thing to see a route in the West (as in the Western US, not the West Coast). And hopefully, Skyhook would have a reason to share why they choose this route before we see what's gonna be in it. But until then, this is the only branch line from the US I see being made so far. And it's better than nothing (other than CRR that is).

• Like Like x 3
  36. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Still I can't help but feel doing a route based on the main line it's connected with would be a lot better, I'd take Green River - Thompson Springs/Cisco over Cane Creek if it means a longer timetable's possible. I mean if you can get reference material for a lightly traveled branch like Cane it can't be a stretch to get some for a fairly major yard like Green River. The more I hear of this line the more confused I get by the choice. Ah well, I guess someone at Skyhook has a lot of nostalgia for Trainmaster 4, well that or they're a nuclear waste enthusiast.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Blacknred81

Except there isn't a major yard in Green River, hell the next major yard west is Helper Utah, 70+ track miles to the west. And the next major yard to the east is Grand Junction, over 100+ miles away. Though at least Helper has a few nearby industry's such as...

-Savage Coal Terminal, between Price and Wellington.
    003.jpg

-Price River Crude Oil Terminal, SE of Wellington
    unnamed.jpg

-Sunnyside Branchline, with some coal mines in the Rio Grande Days, dirty dirt train in the early 2000's, unsure what UP run on the line now.
    utrg005rg5343.jpg
    utrg014rg5343c (1).jpg
    9364.1588566958.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Was using the term loosely there, I wasn't saying it was North Platte big or anything. I was meaning more like Shelby, or Laramie, sure not a major terminus, but still a fairly active and sizeable yard. Regardless thanks for the clarification, the info's pretty neat learn a bit more on.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Blacknred81

It really isn't a yard though, only a few empty tracks and an Amtrak Station.
    aa.png
    aaa.png

• Like Like x 1
  40. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Oh... I realize the issue now, we're talking different places. I'm talking about Green River Wyoming, the you're talking about is in Utah. Well scratch everything I said, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  41. 59321747

It is said that DLC is 36 miles, please confirm.

• Like Like x 1
  42. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If any of the mainline is included in this route it will be for more interesting start and stop points for the branch line trains and nothing else, so you start off part way up the mainline and turn onto the branch rather than starting beyond the junction already on the branch. If they include any of it. In reality the branch is the route. It’s a scenery route first and foremost and the content will be the driving of the trains along the scenic route and whatever actions are needed along it. Loading, unloading, switching, whatever is required. It’s the same kind of thing as IoW from Rivet but with a different (and more diverse) set of things to do. IoW is a short passenger route, this is a shortish freight route. There doesn’t have to be a million different trains or a million different services to make it interesting or desirable.

It seems that it really doesn’t matter what is released, there will be a dedicated band of the “this would be better, that would be better” brigade to tell us why the route or train that is actually being released isn’t good enough. I’ll be making my mind up on what is actually released, when it comes.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Blacknred81

So unfortunately, from what I've heard from Railfest, Cane Creek will be the Branchline Only and will only feature trains on the branch line, so unfortunately that means very little services. (Most likely one to 2 service broken up into 2/3 parts....)

Meaning no Mainline, but I assume the Uranium trains are the "Dirt" trains listed in the New Journeys Article.
    aaaa.png

Guess there's still room for DLC locos though.....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  44. JGRudnick

Dirt...a bit of an understatement as to what you are really hauling. XD

I hope this means we won't be getting "dirt" hoppers

45. Blacknred81

I hope not, those Unique spine cars would be worth putting in, especially since we aren't getting any "New" locos, and Skyhook Games already have experience in making US rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  46. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  47. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the branch lines on Clinchfield so far. If Cane Creek is done as well I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully Skyhook tweaks the sound mix on the AC4400 a bit. It needs that GE chug to it.

• Like Like x 1
  48. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

With what appers to be possibly such a limited amount of locos and traincars.
    AC4400CW
    SD40-2
    The 2 most likely pieces of rolling stock options are(With mainly just relivering)
    3 Bay covered hoppers(possible 2 different types included)(At least 1 of them already found in game)
    1 Center dome tankcar(Already found in game)
    Possibly a Wastepacker articulated container cars(For Uranium transport)
    This could be a another route for adding in a caboose(To beef up this routes limited rolling stock options)

With mostly single track and 35 miles of flat or rocky desert(This will be a new environment,so this will be welcome for sure).But no environment will be exciting for long if the trains your driving there don't offer different cargo options,and this route needs more then just recycled locos and train cars.(At minimum bare minimum this route needs to introduce at least 1 new peice of rolling stock).

Skyhook 1st Train Sim World 2 Route has every chance of being a big winner...They just need to give it there best full 100%effort.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  49. Blacknred81

i dont think UP uses cabooses for this route, there is no long shoves that would require it on the Potash Local, and they are not found on the Tailing trains.

• Like Like x 1
  50. MetrolinkF125#916

Definitely agree, the CSX AC4400CW sounds suck, hopefully skyhook improves them and gives us a proper 7FDL-16 engine and horn.

• Like Like x 1