Munchen To Aachen

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by biblycz, Jan 8, 2021.

1. biblycz

biblycz New Member

Doesn't anyone else think it would be cool for Train Sim World 2 to connect Munich to Aachen by adding the bits piece by piece, like next Ausburg to Stuttgart or Colonge to Frankfurt and the hook them up with Frankfurt to Stuttgart for the ultimate long haul train ICE route?

• Like Like x 6
  2. DeyKey

DeyKey Member

It would be fantastic but this will never happen. But it would be very nice.

3. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Let's first connect RRO and RSN. THEN we can talk longer routes, although this is probably still way out of realms of possibilities.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

It will be very cool if the metro line in my city gets build in TSW.

5. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

And the cross-city line for Brum too would be nice.

6. TNH

TNH Member

It is not possible to build such a long route, due to the limitations of UE4.

7. Trenomarcus

Which limitations? The only know "limitation" is the time required to build it.

• Like Like x 6
  8. TNH

TNH Member

UE4 can't handle such a large map.

9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

DTG have said multiple times the only thing that prevents them building longer routes is time and the game can handle very long routes absolutely fine, although I imagine the physical size of the route on the disk will eventually limit how big a route can be too.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There are no limitations of building longer routes in the UE4, what the reasons are is the detail in scenery to put on the route is what takes up the time.

It's possible to have a long and detailed route but you would to wait longer than the 6 months it takes them now to make what were are getting. It could possibly take up to a year to make a long and detailed route.

• Like Like x 3
  11. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

And a longer route means more development means more costs. So either they somehow manage to sell way more of it then a "standard" route. Or they make the prices higher. And exactly the same people who say "Longer routes or I'll never buy a DLC anymore" are the ones who say "Why did they make the price so high? I'll never buy a route for so much money".

• Like Like x 3
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I support the idea of the route.

13. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Here's my take FWIW! I prefer the UK routes being from the UK. However, I have found myself drawn to the German ones. Why?
    Anyone from DTG please stop reading now as it may cost me in the future!! I really like the fact the timetables fill out as you get more DLC layers. More AI traffic equals better visuals, more random stoppages, just more interest (for me). Getting back to the longer routes,
    it is appealing to be able to have the whole route available. But I see no reason a route can't be released in parts with the added carrot of a new loco in part 2 of a route which fills in the timetable on both parts of the route. It gives that little extra to part 1 you have had previously. So yes you are paying twice as much for the route. But it won't feel like that quite so much.
    Having said that, I do appreciate the dilemma/desire that DTG have in that they want to appeal to a wider audience which one method to do so is to add routes from different countries. There are other ways to do this obviously e.g. Steam/Multiplayer etc.
    So, as a final point, as nice as it looks, the new TGV route has little to no appeal to me as it stands i.e. very much alone! Just my 2p

• Like Like x 9
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Which implies that there should be little problem in making pre-existing routes "linkable," if they run to a common point, which suggests that given current routes a bridge between RRO and RSN would involve the least work : they both terminate at Hagen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

I agree- but the reason it can be done relatively easily with German routes is because they are all DB and the livery and (most) rolling stock transfers over, whereas you can't plausibly put GWR trains on the Isle of Wight! The same applies to US routes, given the multiplicity of railroad companies.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I remember Matt had mentioned something about why they were not able to link those two routes together in a stream.

17. solicitr

IIRC, it was because the two routes' models of Hagen Hbf and its trackage aren't quite the same. But it seems to me that a patch could substitute the model from one route into the other.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tallboy7648

Someone in the community though was able to link up the two routes though with no problems at all though. So linking up rro and rsn is not impossible

19. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

The problem with route merges is on the gameplay side not technical. If they merged RRO and RSN they would have to rebuild both timetables and recreate the scenarios. That's an awful lot of work, and that's before the issue of if you only own one of the routes.

• Like Like x 4
  20. solicitr

I was under the impression the timetables were based on the RW timetables? Besides, route-linking has been going on for a long time with TS20XX (not by DTG, but the community has pulled it off).

• Like Like x 1
  21. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

They are, but if they joined both routes and left the timetables then nothing will use the whole route. This was discussed in the end of year Q&A and Matt explained it.

22. Trenomarcus

That's absolutely not true and baseless. UE4 can handle infinite maps as the tiles are loaded progressively.

• Like Like x 2
  23. solicitr

Oh fer Pete's sake! How long would it really take, even if the only tools were as basic as the consumer scenario editor, to take an RExx service running Wuppertal-Hagen and add the station stops (the same ones used in the RSN version of RExx) all the way to Finnentrop, and delete RSN's half-route from its timetable? Ditto the reverse service Finnentrop-Wuppertal: just extend RSN's and delete the redundant RRO halfway service.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TNH

TNH Member

Theoretically it can, but in my personal experience, the performance significantly drops after a while.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Except that no services run from Wuppertal to Finnentrop in real life as far as I‘m aware. All the passenger services terminate in Hagen. The only services that could profit from such a merge are freight services.

• Like Like x 2
  26. solicitr

Fair point.

But then- and this provides a clean slate WRT timetables - they could produce a new (sellable!) DLC which links RSN with SKA via Monchengladbach, and there are definitely services that make the run from Aachen to Hagen via Wuppertal. The point is that it could be possible to make modular units which ultimately assemble into the whole Ruhr-area rail network, and duplicates the RW traffic.

Do some gamers spend hours on one session? Yes, they do. While some may have a 30-minute attention span, others can spend a whole Saturday on end playing GTA or Age of Empires or what have you. Do many rail fans have grand ambitions? Look at what some model railroaders have built (in fact, the fashion in recent years has been to build joinable layout modules, with standards set by the NMRA to ensure that they can all hook together like Legos). Above all, could DTG sell more product if route-linking was a thing? Emphatically, yes!

Biggest argument against, of course, is lack of variety: DTG is responding to consumer demand for routes other than US/UK/Germany, and even within the US and UK there's a lot more variety of rolling stock and terrain than one gets with DB. But it seems to me that at least as a proof of concept they should look into linking the co-terminous two routes that already exist (if nothing else, those who own one would be incentivized to buy the other).

• Like Like x 3
  27. Lamplight

All fair points as well. I think that your last parapgraph is key here. DTG have never produced a German route just to release one (or in this case to link other routes), but always offered something new and different. Some examples: RSN - slow operations on a rural German route with lots of freight, MSB - banking services, RRO - parallel networks of S-Bahn and regular trains, etc. And even the German fanbase, as far as I can, tell is rather divided in what it wants next. A lot of voices call for more high speed actions, others call for historic routes, some ask for route mergers, etc.
    The point I‘m trying to make is this: A huge network of German routes all in one is a nice goal, but it‘s also incredibly ambitious. You‘d need a lot more modern German routes, most of which would be more of the same of what we already have and bring little new to the table. And if the network ends up being quite „small“ (e. g. just 3 routes merged) as DTG still need to deliver more diverse content, then I think there‘s potential for a discussion if that much effort is worth that „small“ network.

I‘m not against any of your ideas. But personally, I‘d much prefer some historic content over route mergers. I wouldn‘t complain about mergers either though:D

• Like Like x 1
  28. tallboy7648

There are ICE services that go from Koln HBF via Wuppertal HBF and Hagen HBF that go to Berlin HBF so an extension for rro could potentially link rro and ska which would be cool

• Like Like x 2
  29. solicitr

Does Muenchen-Augsburg add anything new except different scenery and a trivially different ICE3?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Lamplight

LZB guided S-Bahn

31. matinakbary

Working PIS at the stations, very big station with many tracks

• Like Like x 2
  32. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The busiest route in the game so far (if you have the rest of German route DLCs to add layers to it).

• Like Like x 3
  33. tallboy7648

Well you get the 423 and pis so in other words, not much unfortunately

34. solicitr

Hey, I'm not saying that M-A isn't worth getting!

I was just responding to the assertion that "DTG have never produced a German route just to release one (or in this case to link other routes), but always offered something new and different. Some examples: RSN - slow operations on a rural German route with lots of freight, MSB - banking services, RRO - parallel networks of S-Bahn and regular trains, etc."- to which one should add, "new locos." Working platform signs are very cool- although they had already appeared in Bakerloo - but really they're chrome, sort of like the animated destination boards in SKA, and most important, route-independent. It's the sort of extra-immersion detail upgrade we can (or should) expect with each successive DLC. The next German DLC will probably include that sort of neato-keen upgrade wherever it's located.

35. matinakbary

not much? I think working PIS is a great step in the way that at some point station and train announcements can be implementend. Also the BR 423 is the first regional train with working LZB. This in imo more than "not much". Also the fact that munich is the biggest station in TSW yet. When the Dispatcher can handle Munich it can handle every other train station cause hardly any station is bigger (more tracks, sidings etc.)

• Like Like x 1
  36. Lamplight

I agree. I still stand by what I said.

37. tallboy7648

I mean I don't use lzb and not everybody uses the safety systems in the train so if you don't use the safety systems, lzb won't add anything really. The pis is cool though.

38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Just because you don’t use LZB doesn’t mean it doesn’t add something to the route. It’s a fairly big new feature.

• Like Like x 1
  39. tallboy7648

That not everybody will use. Yes it's cool to some and for some like me, it's not. I do use sifa though