Would You Pay For New Scenario Packs?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by erg73, Dec 21, 2020.

?
  1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Facts, I've played every iteration of TSW (Except CSX Heavy Haul which is now SPG), but I've never owned TSxx, I've played like 5 mins of it and ended up running a red signal in an Acela, but I've never owned it.

Your response to that comment could've been used elsewhere though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Facts: Are they both Train Simulators? YES!

• Like Like x 3
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well hey it's the truth. Can't call me a hater for saying the truth. I get where some people are coming from with this idea. I own and play ts2021 and for sure enough I've bought scenarios. But ts2021 is a game that literately only has scenarios in all it's routes and quick drive. TSW2 is catered clearly to a different market than ts in terms of what you can do gameplay wise and it's on consoles as well. Just because something worked well in a pc exclusive market doesn't mean it will work in the console market. DTG should just allow players to share scenarios in the game. It would be a no brainer businesswise and there needs to be an upgrade to scenario designer to allow us to add more to the scenarios we make. These would be much better solutions than purchasing scenario packs for routes in my opinion

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's worth pointing out the obvious once again that those of us on the forum are but a small percentage of the total player base. And most of that silent majority are likely not interested in and/or not capable of creating their own content, including scenarios. That's why the workshop is so successful in TS and why 3rd party scenario packs are so common in that game. So scenario packs would work well in TSW2 for the same reasons. Simply put, I doubt that there are that many players who would make their own scenarios even if the game allowed it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  5. tallboy7648

And the sharing option would allow players to share his/her scenarios in the game and not having to make people make their own scenario if they didn't want too only if dtg gave the player the option mate like other games. Therefore there would be no need to spend money on scenario packs

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  6. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The problem of sharing scenarios created by the community I think would be in the consoles, and DTG has said that they don't want to leave one platform with less functionalities than another, they want the game to be practically the same for everyone.
    So, scenario packages might be a good option.

7. Crosstie

Fine, I understand your point. But since there isn't going to be a public editor, scenario or loco packs from DTG or 3rd parties are the only way most players will be able to add content.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tallboy7648

Surely dtg can find a way to give console players the ability to share scenarios. I hope they do

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

At least many other games have proven that this is possible. Even livery sharing is no technical Problem as the Forza series shows since the times of the good old xbox 360. Licensing is something different of course.

Back to topic: my answer after playing other games than train sims for the last ~12 years is a clear no.
    In my opinion the price standard of the TSW DLCs is already as high that this should be included in the base DLC.
    If you compare it with expansions of other games there are usually new gameplay mechanics included and not added as a separate buy afterwards.
    The empty sidings, unused tracks and a very limited possibility to use them- sorry, but for €30 this is something that has to work from scratch. With the scenario planner and some ideas of Adam things seem to be going in the right direction though.

Of course I understand the economical reasons behind this but unfortunately my wallet is not unlimited and aside of sim games offering DLCs for DLCs is something that is considered as rip-off instantly.
    The only exception would be those pay to win mechanics and skin packs...

• Like Like x 3
  10. tallboy7648

I agree. DTG's dlc is not cheap and any scenario packs should be included in the base dlc. That would be better than getting 5 scenarios in my opinion. If Forza and other games can allow user created content to be shared, than dtg surely can find a way to allow players to share scenarios. If they could make that the case than the idea of buying scenarios would be a stupid and pointless idea.

11. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I really really really enjoy the scenarios so obviously I would sink cash in scenario packs. But ... come on let us share stuff created with the ingame scenario designer and have years of content created for the game. Keeps TS2021 pretty alive up to this days though

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

Exactly and dtg can find a way for consoles to share user created content especially if other game companies can do that

• Like Like x 1
  13. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Personally i think when you’re looking at a £200 game for some of us here there should be more than 5 scenarios per dlc rather than doing the same route problem free under the guise of timetable...

That said because of said “samey” timetable has anyone played a service where something other than incident free a-b journey occurs?

• Like Like x 2
  14. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed! ;) in fact, timetable has some very cool services in it. I suggest you take a look at this thread... ;) :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. tallboy7648

DTG should add more than 5 scenarios to a dlc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If they were good detailed ones, priced accordingly. £2.99 each maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  17. tallboy7648

Just no. People should not have to pay for scenarios or ones created by the community if they made a sharing option that will allow people to share scenarios. If they did that like most other games, this idea would be silly. TS and TSW are catered to two completely different markets and in terms of gameplay they are different as well hence why I think this is a bad idea

18. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I am on board with this. A good scenario is worth it for me, particularly if it takes advantage of TSW’s somewhat dynamic dispatch system that could make the run different depending on how you drive it.

In TS, I have bought DLC just to be able to run scenarios from good designers.

Scenario packs would also allow sidings to be filled and routes to have “life” without interfering with the 24hr timetable.

19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

£2.99 for one scenario? You’ve got to be kidding.

• Like Like x 4
  20. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Not specifically a question for me, but I did endorse the post.

Yes, you are right, that is steep for one scenario.

I would gladly pay the the same price I routinely pay in TS for a scenario pack.

If I knew it was going to be dynamic and a great run that I could enjoy multiple times, I might even consider that price.

• Like Like x 1
  21. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

To add my opinion, I'd totally be willing to buy scenario packs, if done right though. Take 3DZUG with their "Fahrzeit" scenario pack series for TS2021 as an example, they include not only "Drive A to B-scenarios", but rather more complex scenarios, including shunting, a lot of AI, incidents (e.g. a stuck train or closed part of the route) and even announcements. I would even pay more than said 3€.

But my dream would still be scenario packs like TTB made for TS2020, including a lot of AI stock. For that I'd pay the full 30€.

• Like Like x 2
  22. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

TSW scenario's are a joke anyway (in my opinion) just glorified services. Nothing special to them. Just regular service, with maybe a slight variation in between. In my opinion, scenario's have to be something unusual in a game that already can have over 100 services per train type in the regular timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  23. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Where do the consoles get the patch updates from? Just place the shared files there as well. I don´t see any technical problem related to sharing other than freeware content could prevent payware from being sold if quality becomes similar.

Cheers

24. tallboy7648

Sounds like a rip off to me

25. Crosstie

On TS20xx, scenario packs are usually sold for $9.99 (about UK7.45) and contain about 10 scenarios. That's likely how they would be priced in TSW2. So where are people getting these inflated prices from? I would expect packs to be a bit more expensive in TSW2, simply because they are graphically more complex, but only by maybe 10% or so. Since we can't make our own, I would consider that to be a bargain.

• Like Like x 2
  26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, IF by "scenarios" we are talking about something out of the ordinary, not just a routine Point A to Point B timetable run with a couple extra instructions. Something that uses spur lines, switchyards, maybe an unusual traffic situation, breakdowns, anything to give variety to the sameness of running from (e.g.) Koln to Aachen and back.

The scenarios Drag Line and Aggregate Industries included with Great Western Express should be a model.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

For me, no.

Enhanced service mode, with more services, including extra layers. Yes!

I don’t really play the included scenarios, it’s all about ‘Timetable/Service Mode” for me. I think that’s something the game has over TS Classic, plenty of service opportunities straight out of the box.

For example in TS Classic, in the editor I just create all my own scenarios, as I don’t like the included scenarios, in terms of realism.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  28. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone for participating in this poll.
    A large number of people voted and it seems that this is not something that would be rejected by the community, but quite the opposite as the "yes" vote prevailed.
    Now, from the opinions that have been written, those of us who would be willing to buy these complements should have a good added value.
    It is up to DTG to take this into consideration for the future.
    I think there would be a solid base of players who would like this so they could at least put it on the table as a possible source of income.
    TrainSim-Matt DTG Natster DTG Protagonist
    If you are so kind, could you say whether this is something possible or whether it is something totally ruled out for the future?
    Please save the typical "if it's not on the road map..." :D

• Like Like x 1
  29. tallboy7648

This really doesn't represent the community as a whole though since most people don't go on the forums so this may not be a popular idea. 159 people don't make up the whole community and certainly 94 people don't make up the entire community. Also if dtg are working on allowing players to share scenarios (and liveries) via crossplay, then I don't see the point of spending $2, $4, or $10 on scenarios if a person can share a scenario with others at no cost that can be the same quality as the one that would cost money. It makes no sense in my opinion and would probably be popular with players who played ts2021 which is a game that only has scenarios and a free roam and appeals to a different exclusive market than tsw2 especially since 2/3s of the game's player base are on console and most haven't played ts2021. TSW2 has more things you can do as well instead of ts2021

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  30. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Ask High Iron, they have to compete against Steam Workshop scenarios, including ones that they make themselves, and yet there's clearly enough of a market to serve it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Because we don't have enough rolling stock and routes to make them viable at the moment in TSW2. They are 10 years behind the amount of routes and locomotives we have in TS2021, right across the board, that's why your named companies above are doing so well, because they have hundreds of routes and appropriate locomotives to choose from to create interesting scenarios with.

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 3
  32. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I understand what you are hinting at - but again - the concept is viable even at this time - and will become better over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  33. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Nothing wrong with the concept at all, however, they will be DLC packs, so, we can take it or leave it, but, you 'aint got enough models at the moment to make lots and lots of packs to justify the resources of staff into doing such a project, when you could argue that they are more needed to assist with route and loco creating at the moment, lets get the foundation groundwork done first before adding accessories.
    The other thing of course is that with the restrictions on how much trackage we can drive on in each route currently, will this mean that DTG will edit routes to allow us to drive over unchartered territory in these new scenarios, otherwise, you're going to have scenarios that cover the same locations all the time as most routes are small, but, with different stock, will you get people to buy into that concept when/if word gets out that you can't drive anywhere else because DTG won't allow it, that's the sticking point.

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 3
  34. tallboy7648

Which leaves me to think that this would not be a good idea. Most routes in tsw2 are not above 40 miles and alot of the routes are restricted in terms of what tracks we can use. You'll probably just get similar or the same scenarios in a $10 scenario pack but with a different train and different weather conditions which probably would not make the pack sell very well especially if dtg are planning to allow players to share scenarios via crossplay. Yes some companies do well with making stuff for ts2021 but that game is over 11 years old and has an endless supply of content on which they can make content on. Not to mention that ts2021 is a scenario and free roam only game This game is simply not on ts2021's level at all. So I don't see the point of DTG doing this when A. There isn't enough routes or trains as of now to justify packs and B. If DTG are planning to allow sharing of Scenarios in the game with crossplay, there's really no point of having to pay for scenarios that will probably be built to a similar standard as some of the best scenarios that are made by players. I think dtg is better off making routes, new trains and improving the core of the game instead of making scenario packs that probably wouldn't even sell well since tsw2 caters to a different market instead of ts2021

35. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Okay — totally baffled by the above logic, since the route are short and there is limited rolling stock, people would not be willing to pay for a well designed and scripted scenario where one could actually work local industries and the such, or take advantage of alternate routing since it is a scenario and not subject to the distractions of the timetables... that because of the above mentioned limitations, players would be happier making the same A to B runs over and over again because they are part of a timetable. Sorry, that logic leaves me flat.

• Like Like x 6
  36. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

touché :)

37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Scenario Packs wouldn't be the first thing on my wishlist, I'd rather invest my money in a new route or loco to add to the collection. But I've bought a few scenario packs for Train Simulator in the past. I guess I might do the same for TSW, if;
    - the scenarios are for a route I like
    - the scenarios use locomotives that aren't used in the default scenarios
    - the reviews are good

If I remember correctly the price tag for Train Simulator scenarios is roughly €1 per scenario. I guess that's a decent price tag. Especially since it's common for them to be on 50% discount during one of the many sales.

38. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

The should retool the scenarios that came with the first CSX GP40 add-on pack and release them for people who bought that or for a very low price to people who don't have it. Those were pretty good, but could easily be redone to apply to the GP38. That might give a good clue to how many people are interested in that.