General Confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColonelKlink, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

(This is a long post, please read fully and carefully)
    Hey gang, apologies in advance if this comes off as a rant post rather than a "why is this happening" post.

As some of you may know from the few posts I've already made on this site, I've encountered some issues with the game that, while in most cases require a simple fix, are downright silly, strange, and confuzzling to say the least, mostly because I'm a dumb-dumb who's not very well-versed with train sims. I've already made a post like this before, but I'll make another one regardless.

First off: Why does the game continue to change my settings semi-frequently without my knowing?
    I hopped on this evening after a while of not playing, ran a career scenario on the 64-bit edition, noticed my actions in said scenario were being scored when I know I turned that setting off before. Changed it back, it asked me to restart to apply them. For whatever reason it fired up the 32-bit edition instead.

Second: What is with this game and not giving me a checkmark for completing a scenario?
    I've made a post about this before, and I already know that if you're not using expert controls, the game doesn't see a reason in showing that you actually completed a career scenario, and that this sort of thing is still supposedly bugged. Funny thing is, with the first question about settings being changed, I checked it out and I am in fact using expert controls when the career scoring turned itself back on. I did this 50-minute career scenario, in which I took a Southbound diesel Zephyr from Poe to Oroville. With the exception of going over the speed limit by a hair for a couple seconds, and having to hit the emergency brake because I accidentally came in too fast, my record was fairly decent. I was early on every destination it asked me to go to as well. All the messages I received were "great work, let's move on", and the last one was "nicely done, let's see how you did." Yet again, even though I was told that I completed everything the scenario asked of me, there's nothing to show for it. I know this sort of complaining won't really get me anywhere, but time and time again I'm confused or frustrated as to why this is happening and nothing seems to fix it. **See attached images below** 20210113213645_1.jpg 20210113214023_1.jpg

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

CK
    Changed it back, it asked me to restart to apply them. For whatever reason it fired up the 32-bit edition instead.
    The default start for Train Simulator is the 32-bit version - so even if you start in 64-bit and you are advised to re-start it will always start in 32-bit mode.
    Why? TS started off as a 32-bit app which has been changed in the last couple of years to include a 64-bit version. Unfortunately DTG forgot to include an automatic version start for each version and the default being 32-bit - that's what happens. There is a hack but I won't go into it here, as it could confuse you even further.

I used to remove (real) ticks in a former life so I have now given them the flick!
    Hogan

3. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why is it not marking career scenarios as complete? Haven't checked but I woudl guess it's because you've turned scoring off and the career scenarios work on those scores. It could also be that you've not completed the tasks successfully so don't get said tick, for example if you arrive more than 30 seconds late to any stop you fail the whole thing, so check that it's saying you've done all the requirements and if it's not that I would say it's the scoring issue.

This does apply to standard scenarios where the author has put in scheduled stop times too

5. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

One would think it's because I turned scoring off, but it's not. I've completed the nearly every scenario so far with scoring off. So long as I had the expert controls on (which I do), it's allowed me to complete them. Oddly enough, after making this post last night, I played another scenario on this route that I hadn't completed yet, and with following all the speed limits and reaching points along the line in time, it told me I completed the scenario, and I looked to see that I received a checkmark for it. I'm going to attempt the aforementioned scenario once more to see if it will let me complete it this time. If it does not, I don't know what to do then, as I've done everything right the past few times, but for whatever strange reason the game seems to think I've done something wrong or I'm not good enough.

6. samsonbo

samsonbo Member

What you need to do is, get used to it, there's a number of scenarios with this problem, and NO fix is in sight...I'm amazed by the amount of text you've posted on this 'problem'......

7. ARuscoe

Post the completion screen here if it does and then we can have a look

8. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

Yep, it didn't mark it as completed again. Guess I'll just have to keep chugging along and come back to it in a few decades.

9. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

I'm amazed that something like this hasn't been addressed by now, although after reading multiple reviews, it makes sense. Oh well, I'll just keep moving and come back to it later, should a fix ever come about.
    I'll only mention this once. Please leave your negativity at the door when you comment here. While it's true that what I'm posting about is honestly a waste of time to some extent, I'm still trying to figure out why something is happening. I do not appreciate responses like this.

10. samsonbo

samsonbo Member

OP's user name checks out

11. ARuscoe

As I said, if you can screenshot and post the completion screen we might get some indication as to why

12. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

I'll run it again in a little while here, and post a shot for you.

13. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

Here is the post-completion screen, as requested. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see, still doesn't show that I've completed the scenario though: 20210114141945_1.jpg 20210114141953_1.jpg

14. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

While you're looking at this, a thought occured to me as I was making my way over to this refueling point: When I arrive at Oroville Station, after dropping off the passengers, it tells me I need to uncouple the main locomotive from the cars, but I think it also mentions the other two engine cars that are coupled just behind this one. After I uncouple just the one (and not the other two still attached to this one), I get a message saying "good work", but it lets me carry on regardless. Maybe the reason why it's technically failing me is because I'm missing those two cars?

15. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

Alright then, so even though it was telling me I completed it, at the same time it was failing me because I failed to uncouple the two engine/fuel cars along with the main locomotive. I just ran it again to see if my thought above was the reason why, and it's true. Having the other two cars with me allowed me to actually complete the scenario. Guess I ought to be more careful and observant next time. 20210114152401_1.jpg 20210114152451_1.jpg

16. ARuscoe

That's what I was hoping for on the report screen, a discrepency in the stops, loads etc

Yep, need to read that F1 screen very carefully when shunting, marshalling and dropping off else you can fail the tasks at hand
    Glad you got it sorted