Pc Restarts During The Game Session

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Franck69, Jan 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Hi everyone, I have a problem for a long time and I can't solve it. I opened a ticket, but still no solution to date.
    Basically, in a completely random way, the pc suddenly restarts while playing TWS2. Today, strangely enough, he did it twice in a row on the same point on the same line, same scenario.
    I followed the scenario called Christmas Closure, on the Western Great Express. Shortly before arriving at Acton Yard, I pass the first double yellow signal, everything is ok, then when I arrive at the second yellow signal, the pc shuts down and restarts.
    It only does it with TWS2, I have other games that are also heavy like FLight Simulator 20202, but I don't have these problems.
    Is there anyone who has had the same problem and solved it?
    Thanks for the attention.

• Like Like x 1
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's a weird one. Out of memory error causing a system crash?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Franck69

Franck69 Member

I have 16GB of memory ...
    I don't think that's the problem

4. solicitr

Full HDD? AMD processor?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Are you overclocking any of your hardware? What wattage is your PSU rated for? I suspect that your PC restarting is a matter of hardware instability.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

Check to see if the recent Windows update turned off your page file (virtual memory) TSW requires it to be on

• Like Like x 1
  7. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

If PC restarts this could be most likely due to not enough power supply or out of memory, as written above. First check if you have the auto-restart setting enabled. Go to my PC --> advanced system settings --> Advanced --> Settings in the Startup and Recovery tab. If you have the automatic restart enabled then there´s one of those problems.

If you get windows blue screen after removing the tick as in the screenshot them it´s quite possible that the problem is the power supply. Depending on your system you may need > 750 Watts, specially if you go 4k or with overclock.

To know if it´s the memory check how much game is using during a regular gameplay. If it goes above 12 Gb you may be pushing game too much for your system (4k resolution and high settings), so either put 32Gb onboard or reduce settings. Take into account that Windows also books memory for itself. FS2020 may be much heavier in rendering but both games work in a different way as FS2020 streams data as needed while TSW2 loads the whole tile in one go.

Please post your system specs and that info about how much RAM game is booking while you run it. You can see it in the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and look for game the executable in the list or better post a screeshot about the whole RAM usage.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Thanks to everyone for the valuable advice and suggestions, I will try them to discard any hypothesis.
    Anyway, I would like to point out that I don't have an AMD processor, the hd is an SSD, and there is still a lot of space. I have an RTX 2070 Super video card. And everything else, including games, even heavy ones, I don't have this type of problem. It happened to me a few months ago, due to an installed mod, which made me crash TWS2, in this case, it brought me back to the desktop, and I could view the crash log file. But now no, it reboots completely and doesn't even create the log file.
    Ah, I add that I have all the updated drivcers, including windows 10.
    I will keep you updated if I can resolve.

9. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

well if you keep crashing first thing i would do is backup all my mods and delete them from the dlc dir and see if it still crashes

10. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Thanks for the tip, but ..
    I had already deleted them, since I had problems with crashes.

11. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

To add to the discussion...

I have not played since the latest update was pushed, though I cannot remember when that was. Anyway, today I launched the game and once the loading splashscreen appeared, my entire computer froze and I had to hard reboot it. After rebooting, I tried to open the game again and the same thing happened: the entire computer crashed. No errors were reported in the Event Viewer; very strange. After verifying the game integrity (which involved redownloading all of the base game .paks), it no longer crashes and is working as normal once again, so I would advise you to try that as well. I have no idea why the broken game filed locked up my computer after the latest update but thankfully Steam was able to fix it. Perhaps you are experiencing a similar problem?

Cheers

12. Franck69

Franck69 Member

I thank you for your contribution. But that's something I did right away, just to minimize the chances of problems.

13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Tsw can be quite demanding so check your running temperatures.
    When did you last clean your pc?
    Mine shuts down if the chip runs hot.

14. Franck69

Franck69 Member

The first thing I did was check the temperatures. And I'm ok.

15. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

This may be worth a try. I have the same graphics card and suffered the same problem.

I installed the oldest available driver for my Nvidia 2070 super, started the sim from inside Steam, and in my case turned off the overlay in GeForce Experience.

Since then (touch wood) over 2 months i have driven 50 hours with just 1 unreal engine crash. I hope this is not a fluke, the other thing is i do not know which of the 3 things has cured the problem Lol. I suspect it was the graphics card driver.

16. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Maybe I solved it. I have to test for a long time, because the crashes were sporadic.
    I have enabled the paging file also on the HD where TWS2 is installed. Now I have lawn and it hasn't crashed where it must have happened twice in a row. It could be the turning point.
    But some really strange things happen to this TWS2. For those who remember the "Christmas closure" scenario, once they have gone to the railway yard and changed desk, the train as soon as it reaches about 35 miles per hour, the brake line discharges, stopping the train. After several minutes it recharges and I can start again, but after a few moments again and so on, without any apparent reason. Mystery.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Good news. But is strange indeed. I have pagefile disabled on all drives and I never had crashes. Well, only a couple of times but it was caused by corrupted download data. Just did the steam integrity check and they were gone. About the memory usage it shouldn´t require too much indeed. I have 32 Gb but game barely passes the 6Gb, which is quite a big amount indeed.

Do you have any custom *.ini settings with crazy viewdistances or something like that? I can´t imagine other reason except that or the faulty drivers as Michael wrote. Hardware seems not to be a problem definitely, specially if the paging file solved the crashes...

Cheers

18. solicitr

TSW (like all Unreal-based games) pagefiles like crazy. Turn on Task Manager and look at the disk usage numbers- generally close to 100%, even with ample RAM.

19. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Actually, I still don't know if the problem is completely solved. Because as I said the crash doesn't always happen. I don't play much, so it's even more difficult than it happens within a few days. In the specific case, having happened two crashes in a row on the Western Great Express line, on the same scenario, I thought I would try here and it seems that it didn't crash. But I think it's too early to tell.
    Yes, some time ago I had modified the ini file, but if I don't remember I had restored the original because I had not found improvements.

20. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Yes, I actually noticed that the CPU also reaches 93% of use, but for a few seconds, then it drops, and then relaxes. BUT it never went further.

21. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Anyway, would anyone be able to explain this abnormal behavior to me?
    Every few minutes or meters traveled, the train goes into braking, the brake line discharges completely. I have to wait a few minutes for it to rearm at over 5 bar to be able to restart.

Attached Files:

22. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

About the brake application this could be the alerter system (DSD). If you don't press Q periodically brakes are applied. You can isolate that system if you prefer not to use it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  23. Franck69

Franck69 Member

yes I know, but it doesn't depend on that, because I also used it on the first leg and it didn't give any problems.
    Among other things, I also took it off by disabling it, but the problem remains. It would seem like a bug.