Suitable Laptop Or Desktops To Run Ts Smoothly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OMW1993, Jan 17, 2021.

1. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

Hi all,

I am after a little advice!

I currently have tsw on Xbox but I’m considering and interested in exploring TS2021 too.

I know absolutely nothing about specs for pcs or laptops so would appreciate any product suggestions for a suitable laptop to run the game smoothly. I understand desktops generally give better bang for buck but laptop would be preferred. Any suitable links on this thread would be Really much appreciated. I’m not particularly interested in running the game to the Max on all settings, rather just smooth and stable!

many thanks!

2. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

3. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

Thanks

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Laptop for gaming.. hmmm,

Unless you really really need to have a laptop (i.e. student going between campus and home or a mobile distance worker) then I'd save up a couple hundred extra and get a mid range gaming PC instead, works out even more cost effective if you source the parts and build it yourself (it's literally easier than lego these days and sooooo many tutorials).

5. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I’m no expert, but I think a PC will always be better than a laptop, all other things considered.

I have TS on my laptop and on a PC. The PC has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD, decent graphics card, and works fine (only thing is, my build is very noisy!).

My laptop has 8GB RAM, think it was 120GB for the SSD, and I typically get 4-7 FPS. So it’s just ‘usable’ for when I can’t get on the PC.

But at least with a PC, you can upgrade individual components in a way you can’t with a laptop. A laptop SSD will fill very quickly with TS stuff: I went from having about 80% free space to 15% in a fortnight, after buying TS and assorted DLC.

6. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

Thanks everyone whose commented so far, desktop definitely not totally out of the question especially if they’re
    Cheaper but there’s the appeal of the obvious laptop advantages to consider

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Desktop systems are usually (though not invariably) put together from standard components. There are probably fewer laptop manufacturers than you think, a couple of companies you've never heard of make systems for several big names, but there's still less standardisation and everything has to be shoehorned into a small case making everything more expensive. Those mobile components aren't necessarily the equal of their desktop namesakes either so you're not just paying more- you're paying more for less.

Once you own a system desktops still have advantages when it comes to upgrades and repairs. Swapping out components isn't quite as simple as changing a fuse but still well within the capabilities of most people after a bit of reading up. By contrast RAM, storage and if you're lucky perhaps a couple of other laptop parts might be relatively easy to get at and swappable but if you want to double the RAM for example chances are you'll have to buy double the RAM to completely replace what you have which will then need to be disposed of and the CPU is likely to be surface mounted.

I do miss my laptop, especially when I was called upon to look after my dad during the first lock down and had to lug my PC up to his place, and if it still worked I'd be happy to keep it as a fall back but I'm delighted with what I have.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  8. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

OMW...

I've got a MSI (GE63 8RE) gaming laptop (albeit it's12 months old now) & its fine for me... You get a few stutters now & again but I can live with that... We had to trade off with a family laptop & the fact I wanted to run TS and cost after a several year absence...

The one thing I'd suggest is that if you go down the laptop route then make sure you go for a dedicated graphics card... That's my opinion but I'm sure others may say otherwise...

Good luck...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJTimothy

Good advice for desktop or laptop. You can get away with integrated graphics (I got started in TS with an i3 laptop, and depending on the route, it could run smoothly and was generally enjoyable) and it's worth noting that AMD's Vega 8 is significantly better than Intel's HD graphics but you will be running with most of the graphics settings on the peg.

The laptop OP links to should be able to make a fine job of running TS. Arguably it could do with more memory. Yes you can upgrade the memory but it may not be as simple as just adding a couple more modules- there's likely to be no free memory slots left.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. Why settle for a 16" screen and compromised performance if you don't need it? If you need it, then fine, but everyone I know who has a laptop as their main computer, just sits at at home to use it. I don't get it.

The equivalent laptop GPU will always be slower than the desktop version because of lower power limits.. same with CPUs. They're also designed to thermal throttle to control heat and preserve battery life... and yes, this limit is still there if you run it on mains power. Laptops are a compromise for those who need to use their computers on the move, or in various locations. They are not a smaller version of the same thing with size only being the difference.

11. ntypeman

One of the main reasons I use a laptop is because of space or rather lack of it...!!!

When me & the Mrs moved in to our house (pre child) the small box room which we initially called "the study" had our desktop (HP pavillion 762UK) installed in there on a proper desk... Several years later when our little boy came along, "the study" became "the nursery" and the desktop being well outdated got relegated to the loft!!!

The current laptop is easy to store and is put on the shelf under the coffee table when not in use, something you just couldn't do with a desktop as theres no space in our living room as its been taken over by our little boy's toys and "the nursery" has now become "the junk room"...

A case of "horses for courses" me thinks...

Eric

12. JJTimothy

There's a lot to be said for having a PC that you can put away when it's not in use but there are wireless peripherals, networking systems and VESA mounts that can put a screen on an arm so it needn't take up any desk space at all. It should be possible to have a desktop system with the actual system squared away in the corner of the room or a cupboard where you needn't touch it from one months end to the next (though you should still be able to get to it if needed for dusting and maintenance of course).

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to clear that room out and have a gaming room :)

Laptops suck ;)

14. ntypeman

(SIGH) If only it was that easy...!!! :|

Eric

15. inversnecky

Eric, what are the specs of your laptop, and what FPS do you have?

16. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Hi there
    Ive just recently bought a hp omen cb1521 from pc world and i cant believe the difference between this and my old laptop ts looks and plays completely different on the new one.
    Its got a rtx2060,16gb ram,i7 processor, 512gb ssd,1tb hard drive plus a 17.3 screen with 144hz refresh rate. Everything is on the highest setting and it just flies through games it just depends how much you want to spend

17. ntypeman

Inversnecky...

My laptop specs are as follows:

GE63 Raider RGB 8RE
    CPUUp to 8th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
    OSWindows 10 Home
    DISPLAY15.6" UHD (3840x2160), IPS-Level
    CHIPSETIntel® HM370
    GRAPHICSGeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
    MEMORYDDR4-2400
    DDR4-2666, 2 Slots, Max 32GB,
    STORAGE CAPABILITY1x M.2 SSD slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3)
    1x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 / SATA ) SSD 1x 2.5" SATA HDD HDD
    WEBCAMHD type (30fps@720p)
    KEYBOARDPer-Key RGB Backlight Keyboard
    COMMUNICATIONKiller Gb LAN
    802.11 ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth v5
    AUDIO JACK1x Mic-in
    1x Headphone-out (HiFi / SPDIF)
    I/O PORTS1x Type-C USB3.1 Gen2
    1x Type-A USB3.1 Gen2
    1x RJ45
    1x SD (XC/HC)
    1x (4K @ 60Hz) HDMI
    1x Mini-DisplayPort
    2x Type-A USB3.1 Gen1
    BATTERY51 Whr
    AC ADAPTER180W adapter
    DIMENSION (WXDXH)383 x 260 x 29.5 mm
    WEIGHT (W/ BATTERY)2.49 kg

Apologies for the layout... I cut & pasted it off the MSI website...

No idea about FPS... tell me a route & I'll try to let you know...

I'm not the type of guy who goes "OH MY GOSH... MY FPS HAS DROPPED BELOW 300FPS...!!!" and then goes on to have a meltdown...

If it looks & runs ok then I'm happy... A few odd stutters I can live with...

Eric

I think its got a 256gb ssd & a 1tb hdd also...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  18. inversnecky

Thanks Eric. In terms of FPS, I was just wondering if it was noticeably low or now. My laptop (bought for admin really) can only manage 4-7 FPS, you notice the stutter, but it’s usable.

19. ntypeman

No, no.... it manages far better than that!!! I'll jump on it at lunchtime to see if I can get you a better answer...

Eric

20. hourglass71

hourglass71 New Member

I have invested into an MSI GT62VR 6RD Dominator and TS2021 / TSW2 run smoothly even with very high graphical settings.