15-20 Min Scenario Load & 15fps Game Play

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by simonf, Jan 10, 2021.

1. simonf

simonf New Member

Dear fellow users can you help please.

I am running TS2021
    - Windows 10
    - Intel i57400 3ghz
    - 32gb RAM
    - 64 Bit OS
    - Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
    - Solid State Hard Drive

Once loading a scenario it takes around 15-20 minutes to load and sometimes freezes, looking on Task Manager my CPU is only at about 15% so isn't working too hard neither is my GPU.

Once in the game the frame rate is only 15fps. Graphics have been set to medium and Anti Aliasing has been turned off.
    The GPU is barely being pushed and neither is the CPU. Something within the game itself causes this low performance?

I don't know why either the game that loads says 32 Bit? I got it from the Steam Store.

Can you please help fix this problem. It's a real shame working on the railways as a signaller not being able to play the game properly and enjoy it.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Is this any scenario or specific ones on specific routes
    Is this a fixed computer or a laptop
    If you've got a GTX1050Ti have you checked to see if TSx is using it. Sometimes windows uses the onboard GPU even if a better one is available (my home GPU is GPU0, but TSx runs on GPU1 which is my graphics card)

3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

TS by default will start in 32-bit.
    If you log into your Steam account - highlight Train Simulator - press the large PLAY button you will get the option of starting in 32 or 64-bit.
    Otherwise you can navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks - RIGHT click on Railworks64.exe - choose Send to the Desktop and that creates a shortcut that will start TS in 64-bit mode.
    As AR says ensure that you video card has been selected in the Nvidia Control Panel and not the onboard graphics.
    If you do not want to use the NVCP - Open DEVICE manager in Windows (Right Click on the windows icon lower left) Click on Display Adaptors - disable any card that is NOT the GTX 1050 (needs redoing at every PC start).

4. simonf

simonf New Member

Is a fixed computer and occurs on every scenario. Does everyone have the long load times?
    I will run the check which Graphics Card it is using, I ran afterburner to see if I needed to overlock the card at all and when running TSX it was barely being used anyway which is what I found so strange.

Thanks for your help, will report back.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Pick a DTG loco and a route and run a Quick Drive and see how long it takes to load
    Sometimes it is slower to load a Freeware route than a default one

Peter

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Does internet connection speed have any effect on loading times? (I like to blame ATT for everything computer related and am right more often than not.)

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It might drag out the initial startup a little when TS checks in with Steam but not initialising a scenario. I got started on an i3 based laptop and even that generally took perhaps two or three minutes.

8. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I tried that today, and when I clicked on it, I got an error message telling me to open it via Steam.

9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I
    You may have to start TS via the shortcut as "ADMINISTRATOR" - but it still may not work as is some odd cases it requires steam to be running in the background first.
    Make sure the target is set correctly: \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\RailWorks64.exe and "start in" is \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks, Properties Advanced: Run as Administrator
    It can be due to how you have set up your PC, firewall, av, UAC etc.

10. ARuscoe

Did the message say to open the program via steam or that you had to have steam client open to run it as that's what I get if steam isn't started yet

11. inversnecky

Really strange: I tried the exact same link as yesterday, looking to see what the error message was, and it worked this time and loaded TS.

12. ARuscoe

Maybe steam was having a moment when you tired it before. Steam client (or bootstrapper) needs to be loaded and logged in before TSx will run it's license checks

13. inversnecky

i wondered if it was just because I clicked the direct link first after a reboot, so I closed TS, opened Steam and TS, closed them, and tried the exe shortcut again, still worked, so maybe an aberration as you say.

14. ARuscoe

If it's too soon after a reboot then steam likely wasn't completely logged in. It's on a delayed start and even when it boot up it does a version check on itself, then updates if necessary, then starts the program up, then logs into steam
    You asleep yet?