A New Class 47 In Train Simulator?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dunkrez, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Forgiven :)

It runs almost the entire length of England, and a fair chunk of Scotland LOL

• Like Like x 1
  2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Oh come on people...

Lets not get petty & fall out over comments... I thought we were trying to all pull together to move TS forwards rather than being shunted into the sidings...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  3. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

It was just a teeny bit of banter. I'm still going to build you an 81/85 whatever happens :) Please PM me about any projects you have in mind. I reached out to Colin Marsden yesterday and he was delightfully helpful. Awesome dude.

4. ntypeman

Just had a drive of a 47/7 downloaded from VP which Cat kindly pointed me in the direction of... Good reskin however the notable bodyside piping that is notable on the 47/7's seemed to be missing...

It's been a while since i last drive a 47, and the last one I think was the Bossman version which is quite nice. The Kuju version by comparison is quite dire being sat too close to the windscreen you can't get a good overview of your surroundings in the cab. The sounds were ok though since I got the AP sound pack however its still very basic when you compare it to more current DLC...

Hopefully Dunkrez will come up trumps, a new 47 is long overdue...

Eric

5. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

That was a bit tongue in cheek mate. ;)

6. ntypeman

Speaking of the Bossman 47... If I've installed the AP 47 sound pack will it overwrite the Bossman 47 sound files??? I'm hoping not as I seem to remember the Bossman 47 had quite a nice revurb when you shut the power controller...

Eric

7. Pookeyhead

On my system here, the AP sound pack does not seem to apply to the BMG 47.

8. dunkrez

Alan confirmed this on one of his streams before Christmas, shame really. Nice that there are AP 47 sounds out there on the market though.

9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

The AP 47 Soundpack only works with;
    European Community Asset
    and/or
    Liverpool- Mancester route
    and/or
    West Somerset

No mention of a BMG 47. So where does the 47 on the Marches come from?

10. Pookeyhead

BMG

The choices are: A crap 47 with good sound, or a good 47 with crap sound. :)

The exhaust effects on the BMG one are pants as well.

11. ntypeman

Pooky...

by your above comment I presume you mean the clag effects???

Eric

12. Pookeyhead

13. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

So the BMG 47 only comes with the route, an extra incentive to buy it. Maybe sometime BMG will tie up with AP to release a good 47 with a good sound and variable clag feature.

14. ntypeman

No pressure then Dunkrez... ;)

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pookeyhead

I hope so. It won't belong before reskins for the BMG 47 appear too. There are a lot of people who never got the Virgin 1st Gen pack before it was pulled.

16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is still baffling that a up to date and comprehensive class 47 pack has never been released. After DTG released the Virgin pack, I wondered if more might follow.

It is almost as baffling as the lack of variety of first generation DMU's!

17. dunkrez

Provided we can get enough of a movement of interest in bringing all of these things to TS, then I'll be able to continue building every overlooked bit of railway kit out there, from the things we need to the things we would just like to have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

Sounds great, I am sure we will all be grateful for whatever your produce. I wish I had the skills, time and patience to do 3D modelling. Scenarios are my only creations. I tried route building but again don't have the patience or the time really, although time hasn't been such a problem in the last ten months with most of my activities curtailed to some degree.

Anyway, I keep banging the drum for more heritage DMU's in both sims to the point where I am probably getting irritating!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

More packs would likely have been reskins rather than base asset development. The 47 has been woefully neglected given how many of them were built and how frequently seen over the entire UK network

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

Well yes, I thought reskins. Maybe a RES pack or a EWS pack for example. A NSE pack would have been nice as the previous one, if it is still available is based on the original Kuju one.

However poor the Kuju 47 is compared to todays releases, I still think the class 166 is possibly the worse model in the sim and I am surprised a new one or a very heavy enhancement hasn't been released as there are plenty of routes to use them on now that they have been largely dispersed from the Reading/Paddington area.

21. ARuscoe

There are quite a few on DPS in RF72, DPS and 3rd party including RES, EWS, SouthEastern, Scotrail etc

Oh, you mean the one where -30% power is neutral and there's only two steps of brake? Yep, completely agree.
    Unfortunately asset builders aren't keeping up with the new world order so there's a load of stuff "missing" and unless you're in the southeast corner it's difficult to make "modern scenarios"

• Like Like x 1
  22. theorganist

Yes that's the one, actually surprised AP hasn't made one yet to be honest.

I can't keep up with the amount of modern units which have appeared over the last few years, I still think of Desiros and Electrostars as modern, then I discover things like class 195, class 700 somethings, Novas (I nearly bought one back in the day) and Stadlers exist, so I am as behind as the train sim industry! I wonder if it is to do with licencing or something, the class 195 from what I can see would certainly be at home on the Liverpool to Manchester route and there are plenty of routes with the class 700's on. It is weird to think of units like the Networker class 365's getting close to the end of the their days. I hadn't realised all the class 314's and most class 313's had gone until a few weeks ago.

I do have the reskins for the 47 you have referred to and they are very good.

23. ARuscoe

This is why I mentioned the SouthEast
    Kent Networkers (465/466) are still commonplace as are electrostars of all kinds, and with the 395 in game that's fine. We're just missing the nasty Thameslink unit (other than an AI only unit)

• Like Like x 1
  24. ntypeman

I know that this thread is about Dunkrez's upcoming 47, but can I ask if anyone knows what the BMG 47 is based on or was it new from the ground up???

I'd also like to know if there's any reskins for the said BMG 47???

Thanks in advance...

Eric

25. Pookeyhead

It was based on the Virgin 1st generation pack 47.

The only reskin I've seen is to remove the fake branding and put the original West Coast branding back on.

26. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

I've been waiting a long time for a new class 47, since I don't have the Virgin version which is much more decent than the Kuju. In the end I use the reskin from Vulcan Productions .. So of course +1

• Like Like x 1
  27. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Since renewing my interest, I’m still grappling with the reality that there have been new trains made since the Class 56!

• Like Like x 2
  28. ntypeman

Lol... I'm afraid I don't have much interest after 66's, and thats pushing it...!!!

Eric

29. theorganist

The class 66 sadly for me was the final straw for any real interest in the "modern" railway. Apart from the fact I find them ugly, it is quite a kick in the teeth when you think that on the ending of British Rail apart from the 30 Romanian built class 56's, everything else as far as I am aware was built in the UK. In fact BR themselves built and exported a lot of trains. What do we have now one "major" company left and that isn't even British owned. I would guess that at least 50% of the trains on the UK network are built abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  30. inversnecky

When you have grown up with the classics, such as the 47, the plethora of DMUs and EMUs that have taken over modern railways take some getting used to, and learning to tell apart.

So all power to dunkrez and his 47 mission!

• Like Like x 2
  31. theorganist

Hear, hear!

Although I am getting a soft spot for class 150xxx Sprinters even though they displaced the first generation DMU's I loved.

• Like Like x 1
  32. dunkrez

I'm still quite fond of these:

[​IMG]

I'll bet I'm in the minority on this one! :)

• Like Like x 2
  33. theorganist

I don't like the concept of them, although I love Leyland National buses but they are something of their time and probably saved BR a lot of money. I only travelled on a Pacer recently in South Wales, the first time ever and actually thought they were quite comfortable and seemed to ride quite nicely. I prefer a Sprinter though.

34. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Oh perleeease! This is a train simulator, not a bus simulator. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  35. inversnecky

Someone once said that many multiple units ‘had a face that only a mother could love’!

• Like Like x 3
  36. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Someone must have spanked that one then!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  37. ntypeman

Nope... You're definitely not alone there Dunkrez... Got a soft spot for 2nd gen DMU's as that's what I grew up with, just seeing some of the 1st gen & remembering the 101's being withdrawn...

Are you dangling that carrot in front of a 141...??? ;)

Eric

38. dunkrez

I'd like to see 141s included at some point. The needs of the many come first though.

39. theorganist

We aren't short of second generation DMU's which is why I find it baffling that we have so few first generation ones. I would like to see a class 151, I must admit or the prototype class 140.

I suppose second generation DMU's did take over a lot of locomotive hauled trains and are still around so that probably explains why they haven't been neglected.

• Like Like x 1
  40. ntypeman

I feel Dunkrez's "to do list" is getting longer & longer... :D

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  41. dunkrez

The 140 is a pretty cool piece of kit and legendary in it's own right.

• Like Like x 2
  42. ntypeman

Food for thought...

What about a 210...???

Eric

43. inversnecky

I would love to see a decent 24/5/6/7.

• Like Like x 2
  44. ntypeman

Butt ugly though...:o:D

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  45. Pookeyhead

I think it would be greater than that now. The real kicker is the APT. Forced to launch before fully tested, then slagged off by the British press.. and then scrapped and sold to Fiat... who made it work, then sold it back to us. That sums up Britain under Thatcher (and since). Sell everything.. including our industry... just become a service based economy, and an off shore tax haven. We invented railways... how was this allowed to happen?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  46. theorganist

Yes I completely agree. Unfortunately the car has received far greater attention over the last 50 years and only now are the railways seeing a decent level of investment, and I say this as a petrol head as well as a railway enthusiast.

Look at the clamour that is starting, to re-open lines closed by Beeching, it seems we are great at short term thinking in this country, something which started after the war.

47. inversnecky

Concur guys. In Scotland some closed stations have been reopened, and the Waverley line reopened.

Trouble is, so many closed lines have been built over now, and replacement tracks would have to skirt round many towns, adding to the cost.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

The APT was slagged off by the press because the night before the press ride there was an almighty pis.... booze up.

With hangovers, the speed and tilting brought up a few issues including their breakfasts.

49. theorganist

I was astonished the Waverley line was closed in the first place. There were plans in place to re-open the complete route if I recall, not sure if that is still likely? I would love to see a steam period version in TS1.

It wasn't just rural lines of course, they closed the Stourbridge to Walsall line to passengers which is baffling as it cuts right through the urban conurbation of the Black Country, roads were busy around here even in the 1960's and it's closure left the sizeable town of Dudley without station in the town. Now they are reopening some of it it as a light rail line, personally it is better than nothing but I personally feel it would be better as heavy rail line.

50. inversnecky

I’ve just installed a freeware line of near where I grew up that was closed in the Beeching cuts. It’s nice to see some familiar scenery.

• Like Like x 1