The Catch The :catch

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by jonnytafft, Jan 4, 2021.

1. jonnytafft

jonnytafft New Member

just got this, after smashing sim world bit confused with the difference between specimen and boss fish, few bugs I've noticest your character movement is not right. When casting, realism is a lot better
    Regards

2. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Hi jonnytafft, thank you for the feedback. Boss Fish are named special fish (1 of each per lake) that you can aim towards catching. The specimen fish are a higher quality of a normal fish (these ones are generally easier to catch than boss fish) but they are not named, they are just good quality versions of the standard fish you can catch.

3. paulg

paulg New Member

Bought this game yesterday and I'm shocked at the lack of lakes and rigs available for this game, where are the iq, kd and standard hair rigs? No crank rigs?? We have the choice of 2 rigs for silt the Ronnie rig and hinge rig made from different company's. I would love to see some more venues added to the game please give us Linea's St Johns and Bergsee id even take the observatory from Euro fishing added on to add more fun. Anyone thinking of buying their first fishing game my opinion....I would highly recommend fishing sim world much more content on the base game alone taking the DLC out of it then buy Gillinghams and river ebro DLC for it you will have more fun and have far more to go at! Take the bugs out of Euro fishing and I think that game is better than the catch......MEGALODON.

4. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

The main problem with DTG fishing division is their greed. Their business model is always the same :

1 : Make a fishing game (Eurofishing)
    2 : Sell lots of DLCs
    3 : Make a new fishing game which is nearly the same (FSW)
    4 : Sell lots of DLCs
    5 : Make a new fishing game which is nearly the same (The Catch)
    6 : Problem: customers are not fooled anymore and the game doesn't sell well.

Now all games are dead and guess what? DTG is making a new fishing game!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

In my humble opinion. To quick to add and not quick enough to fix. The biggest bugs in the Catch were the same as in Euro Fishing and then FSW. I would swap the hook hold meter every day to not see another random break off out of nowhere when you hit that constant zero depth bug. I would love to catch that fish that runs off 150 yards and gets stuck behind the island and there is no coming back. I'd like to hook a 15lb fish on the strongest tackle and not be run around the lake for 5 mins while the 40lb catch takes 3 mins. Or my least fav which is the one you hook that doesn't tire. You play it for 20 mins real time, barely keeping the tension meter in check but it still runs and runs. 10 mins later its still running and the tackle you have, even at the strongest you can is unable to do anything about it. And then snap.

6. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Comments about "Too quick to add and not quick enough to fix" and "Make a new fishing game which is nearly the same" is what has driven the decision to stop working on the current games. This move gives the development team the time to make something that meets expectations and time to polish.

7. malanta#1820

malanta#1820 Member

You are aware that your reply has just confirmed what everyone else is saying...people paying their money for a game that is half finished and then being told "sorry we wont fix it this game, we are stop working on it, but don't worry we'll fix it next game which we are working on instead" - That is fairly backwards, since people have paid good money for a game that in reality doesn't actually work properly...instead of catering to the audience and fixing what they have paid for you are going to leave them behind again and work on something new again... - presumably people who have purchased your previous games which have been filled with bugs and wont be fixed will be offered the new game at a reduced price to make up for this? Or are you expecting people to just carry on buying your bug filled games every year

8. malanta#1820

malanta#1820 Member

Also so when people have complains about the current game and you say you are passing it onto the development team, this isn't actually to fix the current game that people paid money for then, this is for them to implement into the new game...what is the catch then, is it just a beta game that everyone who has paid money for are just the testers for it since you clearly didn't hire any testers to test the first game, it is frankly laughable and disgraceful business tactics

9. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

A lot of the feedback we get applies to more than 1 of our games. This is why we have decided to stop and give the team more time to make something better than what we had before with new ideas and lots of constructive feedback on what players enjoyed and didn't enjoy in our previous games.

We are proud of the games we have released and we feel that we are making the correct choice here based on overall feedback from the community across all of our games. We never expect players to blindly purchase a game. If players don't trust this decision/direction then we recommend just wait and see what we do and then you can make a decision yourself as to whether you think it is worth it or not.

10. malanta#1820

malanta#1820 Member

I see, well doesnt really help that you release paid DLC for a game that you have/had no intention on fixing but thats by the by, you can say its what you believe is the correct format but you need to see it from the buyers point of view, people who may have supported you via 3 fishing games in the past and bought various dlc, we have been burnt 3 times...surely you must be able to see that you have to make it right for them and that you really need to give something, I genuinely think giving a discount off the new game is a must if you own The Catch, especially when you have said you have made the decision to not update it, this decision must have been made early on in the games lifetime.

If you want constructive criticism then here it is:

Cons:
    - The worst one is fish getting stuck, this happens almost 1/3 of the time on Rotterdam and can do on other lakes too, the fish is going out, it then has its time and starts to come in, it comes in on a boat, unfortunately due to how the programming is written it wont swim about or start to go elsewhere it will just sit behind the boat or island or pier etc until the line snaps.
    - The line can go too far out sometimes, even after 20 minutes of fighting a fish which is almost certainly a boss fish it keeps going out and until 25 minutes later it goes over 200 yards out and snaps - this is made so much worse by the fact boss fish are TOO rare...speaking of which...
    - Boss fish. This is suppose to be almost the main "story" of the game, whereby you go out and try to fish for boss fish. They are TOO rare and some are impossible to find, its like the ebro lake which is huge and you have to fish in the smallest possible bit of lake in order to catch a specific boss fish, 4 lakes still are on 0% completed for boss fish after 7-8 months of the game being on the market, it is off putting for people.
    - The stats for various parts of the game are completely broken and don't register.
    - When playing multiplayer with my brother as an example the in game pause menu doesn't tell you the various weights of the different fish.
    - Dynamic weather doesn't seem to work for me.
    - I don't like that the bloke continually reels in the fish when the fish is going out, they can't both happen.
    - The fish don't really response how you think they will, a 20lb pacu can be harder to get in sometimes than a 200lb catfish - i'd expect a 200lb fish to pull alot more than a 20lb one

Pros:
    - The automatic catch when the fish comes close/tired enough is good, from euro fishing when trying to land them before and it didnt work at all is an improvement.
    - I really like that the screen goes slightly lighter/you get a heartbeat if you have a specimen/boss fish on, if you have 3 rods all going its good to know you at least have a specimen/boss fish on and if not you can move to another rod.
    - I like the multiplayer that can be done with friends and family, I like that you can have comps for like hour long sessions or just have free fishing, but I feel this could be expanded on even more so.
    - Although the boss fish are impossible to find I really like them being in the game, gives you something to hunt for and to keep playing towards.

Recommendations:
    - You have dynamic weather but it doesn't seem to work at all, I would like to see dynamic time of day added as an option, so say for an example you have a 3 hour fishing trip, I would like to see it start on early morning and then finish in the evening, it would make for a more enjoyable experience for me personally if this was an option, to see the weather change, the sun rise and set etc. This should be easy enough to be implemented.
    - Add reports in game, make the game more social aspect - let people leave notes and give recommendations and see photos of other peoples boss fish - it would be alot better if this was in game and could add alot of social aspect to it, can post tips and tricks and ask for recommendations...think dark souls where people leave notes for other people to find, i'd like notes in game whereby people who have played the game alot can leave recommendations for beginners or like where in the catch I caught the same boss fish 3 times, I can leave recommendations on how I caught him, this should be in game.
    - You need people to proper test the game before release, I know there will always be unforeseen bugs but some of them are game breaking...and also just be more active and fix the game.
    - Would be quite nice when you take photos of your catch if you had more control over it, be the angle, how your character looks/smiles etc - think photo modes in other games, that'd be nice.
    - The lakes themselves look nice, you get them in afternoon and it looks really good, but the player character himself looks far too rigid and has no real life, I'd like to see him have more life.
    - Add in seasons. It'd be great to go to one lake in the summer and fish there in the bright morning, or goto the same lake in a cold winter night and see a bit of snow on the ground.
    - This is a slightly random one, but you have personal bests on the various lakes, I'd like to see some personal best smallest fish, as in not just the larger fish of a type of fish you have caught but also the smallest, have caught some tiny ones while fishing with me bro and its been a laugh catching them, but it'd be nice to see the smallest fish you have caught.
    - I'd like to be able to compare stats with my friends - If you look at fifa ultimate team as an example it has lists of team size/money made/best team etc etc. - you could expand on that and make it so much better, so that you can compare how you are doing with the games very best but then also how you are doing with your friends/family - there could be a really large social element to the game that would make people strive to do more/play more to beat other people...its like high scores in other games, some people love to go for them.

I could probably write more pros/cons/recommendations but have written enough for now...if you want others then ask and i'll sort it out.

Its all well and good having fisherman on the game but you need actual gamers to test the game, and not just test it for 5 minutes and say yes everything is fine, it needs to be 100+ hours of testing per person, I for example before 20 hours in really liked the game and now 100+ hours in theres alot I don't like about it...but then somethings I do as mentioned above.

If you truly want to start making good games then you need to actually put in proper effort and not make people think you are releasing games every year and ignoring them as soon as you release them to work on the next one, its going to turn you into the EA of fishing games (ironic as your CEO used to be at EA games so maybe thats why...) This business model may be working for you for now, but another way to think about it is like SEGA, how many consoles did they release in a short amount of time and add ons for each console before people got fed up and stopped buying them, you will end up going the same way if you are not careful, and I say this with a certain level of annoyance because I know you could actually make a decent game if you stopped to actually pay attention to what you are doing and try to think about what gamers actually want...The foundations are there for a decent game you just genuinely need to stop releasing games that are unfinished. This is your 4th fishing game you are releasing and really need to be getting it right and I actually hope you do, because for all my anger, frustration and such that I post on here as I say theres alot I like about it, and it is thrilling trying to catch boss fish, but not so much if its impossible to do for some of them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

malanta#1820 thank you for writing this all out. I can assure you that I have taken your points and put them in front of the right people.

We will have a lot more information to share as this year goes on. We have a very passionate community and we want to make sure we hold onto that. Thank you again for your feedback. If you feel there are other points that you want to mention then let us know.

12. jonnytafft

jonnytafft New Member

Is there 80lb braid on the catch only got 40 ?

13. malanta#1820

malanta#1820 Member

40.5lb is the largest

• Like Like x 1