Realistic Dsd

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by nathansworld97, Jan 19, 2021.

1. nathansworld97

nathansworld97 New Member

I think it would be a great addition to the game if a realistic DSD (Driver Safety Device) feature was introduced into the game as the normal DSD feature isn't very realistic as it doesn't go off like it would In a real train every 60 - 90 seconds.
    If a player doesn't want to have to press the dsd every 60 - 90 seconds maybe an option could be added into settings such as 'Realistic DSD' so they can turn it off.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

On some trains doesn't the DSD timer reset if the power handle is moved, so if you're on an service with frequent stops, the DSD won't go off very often? That could explain why it doesn't actually go off every 90 seconds, but that said, I've never counted the time between the DSD alerts so it could be unrealistic.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's exactly how the DSD (and US Alerter) work: operating the throttle or brake resets it, since doing so is evidence the driver is alive and conscious. Sifa is unusual in that it goes off every 30 sec no matter what (usually when you're in the middle of something complicated)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nathansworld97

This is true for some locos in the game but I tried the Class 377 I got it upto 50mph and let it roll without touching anything, 5+ minutes later no DSD has been set off due to not using the controls.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The DSD is simulated correctly in the 377. If it isn’t sounding after 5 mins then either you have it disabled or it is a bug. Similarly if it does go off every 60 seconds even if you use the controls in that time that would also be a bug. It is simulated correctly in all trains that have it.

6. nathansworld97

That's strange as It was 100% unisolated.

7. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

On most trains, the DSD only goes off if you haven't moved the controls in sixty seconds, but on the older stock, they go off regardless of whether you have moved the controls or not, for example, the BR Green class 47 on the WSR.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

It does depend on the rolling stock, for example, I work on Class 390s, 397s and Mk5s and the DSD will go off every minute except if the horn or AWS plunger are operated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I don't have ESW and thus haven't driven the 377, but in many British locos there are two controls that need to be set to activate DSD, not the isolation switch alone. For example on the Class 45 there is the Cab Changeover Lever which must be set to On, in addition to the isolation switch.

10. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

Did you unisolate vigilance as well as DSD?