Db Speed Policy Query

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Jan 19, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if DB has a policy for vmax on short distance hops? As in, "if the stops are only 2 km apart, don't go above X speed or else you'll be braking like hitting a brick wall immediately after?"

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There's no need to. With the combination of speed signalling and EBuLa, the driver should know how fast they should go and how far away the station is. Of course, TSW doesn't simulate the EBuLa system (sadly), so I use the HUD for station distance reference if I am not familiar with the route.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  3. solicitr

The problem with the speed signaling system in-game (which is NOT in the HUD) is that far too often you run into a Zs3v showing 80 when you're doing 160, without a prayer of braking within the allowed curve.

4. solicitr

In general then: how far out do you start slowing down (and to what) at what line speeds? This is I'm sure something RW DB drivers get in training, and experienced TSW drivers learn the hard way......

5. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

The simple answer is: You have to know the route. The more you drive a route, the more experienced you get. I for myself aim at 60 kmh when I am short ahead of a platform and then I slow down to the stop marker.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

That's a good rule of thumb, but on some routes there's substantial variation in platform lengths. As you say, just like in real life, there's no substitute for knowing the route.

• Like Like x 3
  7. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Exactly. In the end you have to rely on your eyes and your distance judgement skill. Also you have to know the braking forces of the loco you are driving and how heavy it is. If you want to go safe for passenger, aim for 45-60kmh before you arrive at the platform. For freight trains, you have to be much more cautious.

8. gregorby

gregorby New Member

I'm just a virtual train diver as well, but it's true you have to brake quite hard if a restriction warning signal is coming up just suddenly at 160 km/h.
    So you have to give attention looking forward, know what will happen (what you can't always do irl) or drive slower, if the train or whether conditions do not allow the full 160 km/h.