Ns Pittsburgh Line Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by EpilepticWeasel, Jan 21, 2021.

1. EpilepticWeasel

EpilepticWeasel Active Member

Norfolk Southern Pittsburgh Line Proposal

This is a proposal for the Norfolk Southern Pittsburgh Line. This is one of Norfolk Southern’s busiest and most famous routes. The line runs from Pittsburgh, PA to Harrisburg, PA. The portion I am suggesting is a 140 mile stretch from Norfolk Southern’s Conway Yard, west of Pittsburgh, to Altoona. As stated this is approximately 140 miles and is absolutely loaded with possible content. Trains will set out from Conway Yard and head east as they travel along the Ohio River on what is at times a quad track mainline. Trains then weave their way right through the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. The mainline here was constructed long before doublestack trains and multilevel autorack cars existed and as a result, these trains are required to diverge on a route that crosses over to the south side of the Ohio River and does not link up with the mainline again for 17 miles. Single stack container trains are still able to take the route through Pittsburgh. This is a unique and fun feature to add some different opportunities to the route and have players take a slightly different path depending on the train they are running. Shortly after this is the NS Pitcairn Intermodal Terminal, a smaller three track facility for loading and unloading intermodal trains. From here the line heads east through several small suburbs and open countryside for the next 45 miles and passes several rail-served industries. CP Conpit is the next major milestone where the NS Conemaugh line links up with the Pittsburgh line and becomes a triple track mainline. The new third track heads back across the river where it passes a large coal-fired power plant that many coal trains make deliveries to. The line then continues to follow the Conemaugh River for many more miles until Cresson where the grade lessens right before the summit and trains pass through the Gallitzin tunnels at the summit. From here they head downhill, on the eastern and steeper side of the route, weaving through the mountains to the legendary Horseshoe Curve, one of the most famous places in American railroading. Trains continue to head down the grade into the town of Altoona where Norfolk Southern has another small yard and their massive Juniata locomotive shops. Westbound trains frequently get assistance from helper locomotives in Altoona to climb up and over the grade.

I have pictures but have been having issues getting them into my posts successfully so therefore this is only boring text, for that I apologize.

This is a great route due to the high traffic volume, the tremendous fame of Horseshoe Curve, and the incredible scenery of Southern Pennsylvania. It also is a great freight route because it has yards at both ends instead of having to stop your freight train in the middle of nowhere. There are loads of rail-served industries and several small yards and interchanges throughout the route served by local trains. This route also features Amtrak’s Pennsylvanian service with stops at 5 stations: Pittsburgh, Greensburg, Latrobe, Johnstown, and Altoona. The Amtrak service will add diversity from running only freight trains. The two yards and locomotive shops will add diversity of services and allow for car switching operations and locomotive movements. Manned helper units are frequently used to climb up and over the hill that horseshoe curve sits on.

If DTG wanted to go all out on a longer route and utilize their new technology they have mentioned that makes creating modern routes easier, they could extend the route all the way to Harrisburg, PA. This would add another 132 miles and nearly double the total length bringing it to about 270 total miles. A very long way I know, but Altoona is the crew change point so this would break up services only running trains between the two ends and Altoona in the middle. Harrisburg is an incredible railroad town with massive yards on both sides of the river that runs through the city. There is a much larger intermodal facility in Harrisburg as well. It would add an additional 4 Amtrak stations as well. All in all I think the route would be a lot of fun for a lot of people.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

140 miles isn't going to happen.

3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Conway Yard is necessary. I'd love to see this route. Setting the route in the modern era with NS locos is a fantastic idea, but I really want either classic Pennsylvania RR steam or diesel locos (we are getting steam later this year) or Conrail diesels.
    My loco suggestions:
    -PRR: Baldwin Sharknose, Centipede, Alco PA, Alco FA, FM Trainmaster, FM H-12-44, EMD GP7/GP9, SD7/SD9, NW2, Alco RS3
    -PRR Steam: H10 Consolidation, B6sb Switcher, M1a/M1b Mountain, K4 Pacific, T1 Duplex, J1 Texas 2-10-4
    -Conrail: SD45, SD80MAC, C44-9W, C40-8W, C39-8, SD70MAC
    -NS: ET44AC, SD70ACu, SD80MAC, SD70M-2, ES44AC, ES40DC, C40-9/C40-9W, ES44DC, High-nose SD40-2 and GP38-2, GP60, GP33ECO, GP50
    -Amtrak: Genesis P42DC or Siemens Charger ALC-42

• Like Like x 1