Enhanced Ps4/xbox Controller Functionality

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mattty May, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Many of you may know that having enhanced PS4/Xbox controller functionality is something I’ve championed on several occasions, but despite my suggestions being recognised as interesting, nothing has come of it so far. I’m not giving up. I strongly believe that enhanced PS4/Xbox controller functionality can significantly improve immersion.

I think the key to this enhanced functionality is having a ‘Shift’ like key that adds secondary or even tertiary functions to each of the buttons on the controller.

Having given this continuous thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that the D-Pad Up, Down, Left and Right buttons would be ideal ‘Shift’ keys as you can hold any one of these buttons whilst operating the other buttons on the controller.

The D-Pad is currently used as follows:

Up = Reverser/Gear Up
    Down = Reverser/Gear Down
    Left = Open left side doors
    Right = Open right side doors

In my enhanced PS4/Xbox controller idea, the D-Pad would be used as follows:

Hold Up = Shift Mode 1
    Hold Down = Shift Mode 2
    Left = Open left side doors
    Right = Open right side doors

Suggestions for enhanced Functions in Shift Mode 1 (Holding D-Pad Up)

Triangle = PZB/LZB Release
    Circle = Contact Signaller
    X = Turn on/off Cab
    Square = Turn on/off AFB/Speed Control

L1 = Reverser Up
    L2 = Reverser Down

R1 = Gear Up
    R2 = Gear Down

Right Stick Up = Zoom In
    Right Stick Down = Zoom Out

Suggestions for enhanced Functions in Shift Mode 2 (Holding D-Pad Down)

R1 = AFB/Speed Control Increase
    R2 = AFB/Speed Control Decrease

When not holding D-Pad Up or D-Pad Down the existing controls will work as usual except for contacting the signaller which now has a separate function. The Left Stick Up/Down can be Horn High/Horn Low.

TrainSim-Matt I have contacted you about using the controller in a similar way before and you didn’t outright dismiss the possibility. I really think this added functionality would make the game easier and more immersive on console and I think DTG and the players should debate this. Having a separate controller and keyboard is not ideal and is not always practical. The PS4 and Xbox controllers hold so much potential, I think that potential should be taken full advantage of.

As ever, this suggestion could be added/trialled as an enhanced controller option in the menu and it could open up the possibility of players mapping their own functions to the controller.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Cadetski

Cadetski New Member

Absolutely fantastic idea! I tend to drive my trains with no UI present on the screen as to have the most realistic experience I could get out of the game. And since I play without the UI (meaning no info of the upcoming signals or speed limits and no HUD etc.) focusing on the track and following the signals is vital for me. And for instance in german routes it may sometimes take me 10-15 seconds to find and press the "PZB release" button on the trains's console. And to do that I have to keep my eyes (view) away from the track to find the button while my train is still moving! So to have the luxury of having a controller button* for "PZB release" would be a dream come true for me :)

And I believe other cool "upgrades" would be:
    1. Two seperate buttons on the controller for SIFA and "PZB acknowledge". One cancelling SIFA and the other acknowledging PZB. "PZB acknowledge" make hell lot of noise and it would be perfect not to hear it simultaneously everytime I cancel a SIFA alarm!
    2. Some buttons on the controller for using "Tempomat" in Talent 2 EMUs.
    3. Some buttons on the controller for US loco bells in the immersion mode.

*or combinations of buttons. (whichever applicable)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Gears...
    The current immersion mode set up for operating the reverser and gears on the Class 101 is utterly bonkers and useless. I’ve just tried (without loading the game obviously) the sequence that the driver goes through when driving the Class 101 using the up shift on the controller as in your suggestion and have the following feedback...

It’s a work of genius. It would make operating the train so much easier. Having the gears and throttle on the same levers, changing to the gears by holding down the up button works so well. Bravo. I am already sad that this isn’t how it works now.

(((The gears could then be put back into the correct order with neutral next to 4th gear where it belongs and no multiple sequential presses to go from 4th to neutral which you have to do at every stop (if you are driving correctly). grrr)))

Two left thumbs?
    I’m not too sure about some of the other functions. You have two left thumb controls combined for zooming (it should use the right stick because most people only have one left thumb). Maybe have the AFB on/off control on the down key (shift 2) for continuity with the AFB up and down.

General
    There might be reservations from DTG about having to use button combinations because of accessibility issues but there are ways round that... but the gears thing and for the same reasons the AFB speed control are marvellous in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Thanks stujoy. I’ve changed the zoom to the right stick as you’re right in that we only have one left thumb lol.

I really do hope DTG take notice. It doesn’t have to be main the main control scheme, it could be an optional control scheme for those who want more function from their controller.

5. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

buttons used as shift keys on PS4 controllers is not a new thing. Farm Simulator has been using the system for several years for controlling their games on PS4. Only problem is remembering the combinations.

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yep. Definitely not a new thing and something TSW 2 could greatly benefit from on PS4/Xbox. Combinations would add an extra layer of learning, but with practice, they’d become second nature and make things so much easier to control without having to take your eyes off the rails for too long (if ever).

7. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

It could always be an option for the ultra immersive

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see them add full keyboard binding support for Xbox/PS.

I use a keyboard sometimes for the horn etc, but would love to be able to assign keys to the relevant functions mentioned above as well as having the enhanced pad support.

• Like Like x 1