South Eastern High Speed - A Rushed Made Route?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jan 22, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

If one was to be added, I would envision a freight layer looking something like this.

Most of the services would take place between Gravesend and Hoo Junction and Hoo Junction and Strood, similar to real-life. The actual layers would consist of services from the following two routes:
    • The first layers would come from East Coastway and would consist of the EWS Class 66 with the JNA Aggregate Wagons.
    • The other layer would come from Great Western Express and consist of the DB/EWS Class 66 with the HKA Hopper Wagons in DB Red, which by the way, don't get much use on GWE anyways, apart from one scenario and two services (one in each direction).
    Even if it's not much, not only would it add more variety of services but also more traffic on the Gravesend-Strood section of the line.

• Like Like x 8
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not at 10AM on a weekday. The stabled 700s would have left (if they were in game, which they're not), there would be one 466 which never seems to leave but would be on the other side of the main shed anyway (and again, not modelled) and the 375s hardly ever go there unless they're turning around at Gillingham (which doesn't happen much weekdays)

In other words, since the 465s stopped working out of Gillingham when the 700s took over the Metro routes via Dartford Gillingham depot isn't actually all that busy

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Do we even know how Hoo yard has been modelled? I mean, is the non used track done as just scenery, as in Bakerloo Line or is it actual track that can be used in future? If it's just placed as scenery then we've no chance of ever seeing any AI/Player movement there

• Like Like x 1
  4. ARuscoe

It showed on the route map, so modelled and usable I would imagine, though unlikely they've set paths in the scenario planner for it

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Is the Class 700 exclusive to Thameslink? I'd love a TL route, Brighton - St Pancras would really be something.

• Like Like x 4
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

In the UK this is a modern High Speed line, known as High Speed 1, we have the section that goes upto Ebbsfleet, in reality HS1 carries on down to the channel tunnel, and since Eurostar don't give licensing there is no real option for anything above 140mph on the line, personally I think they made the correct choice of using the Medway Valley & Chatham route, as it gives us more traffic from the 375 & 465, where as if the route went on to say, Ashford, we would only have 395's.

We could of maybe had another UK line at 125mph, but I think HS1 better fits the highspeed theme, since it's the UK's flagship highspeed route.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

It's amazing. Changing the colour is a job of 20 minutes. It can't be argued about because it's simply wrong. Even the artist who painted the lovely SEH artwork knows that the ballast is supposed to be grey. It's hard to argue with an artist who picked that up and DTG did not.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Means absolutely nothing - maybe they do have a TL license and not talked about (maybe doing something for TS1?) or he might just be confident they'll get one, or perhaps it's bundled with the Southern license.

• Like Like x 1
  9. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

So I’ve made a comparison of three identical locations. Represented in real life, TS1 and TSW 2.

Immediately you notice the lack of separation of the lines in the TSW version. There’s just no barrier between it and the classic lines.

Also, why is the over head line equipment (OHLE) spanning across all tracks? HS1 infrastructure is and should be totally independent of other lines. Again, TS1 got this right so I’m not sure why it fails so badly in TSW?
    5F5D47DA-A47D-47E9-B698-48D41A0F33D6.png C715FEF0-C418-461A-BF45-B70B3D4DCACB.png 6CBF6A8C-751C-4918-BFD9-1BAE21BA5FE9.png

• Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  10. ARuscoe

OK... had another look and not good news...
    If you go to 1:17:12 on the video Matt flits around the route map and what I thought was Hoo is in fact Gillingham
    The areas of sidings etc moddelled are Faversham (1:17:29), Sittingbourne (1:17:36) and Gillingham depot and sidings (1:17:41-43) (including some on the north side which have recently been removed)

It doesn't look like they've modelled the Hoo junction yards (north or south) or the line up to Cliffe much at all

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  11. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It's like night and day when you compare them like that. Disappointing really..

C'mon DTG, you're much better than this.

• Like Like x 6
  12. ARuscoe

Hadn't even noticed that... the C2C is very old OHLE

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ItsYa165

This is appalling. How has it gotten so much worse...
    Seriously, this has to be rectified. It's unacceptable.
    Since when do they share line equipment too.

• Like Like x 10
  14. seatsea

seatsea Active Member

If there's one thing that bothers me the most, it's this.

• Like Like x 5
  15. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

Yep, skimping on the catenary again - shocker. I let them off on the LGV route, but those goalpost gantries spanning across both the tilbury line and HS1... come on. It a key identifier between the first gen OHLE system and the new. I think DTG need to focus on Railway Systems detail more.

TS1 managed it, why can't next gen?

I don't usually moan, but it just seems lazy.

• Like Like x 15
  16. hightower

hightower Guest

Having had a think about it I can actually sum up exactly why I have a problem with all of this.

I have had a few requests to record a Faversham to St. Pancras video for my YouTube channel. I bought the route for TS1 ages ago as it was required by a freeware route and barely touched it thereafter as the 395 sounds were just so awful (sound familiar?), and poor sounds ruin things for me.

Anyway, having hunted high and low online for a half decent sound patch I found one that utilised a number of AP sounds from different packs. I recorded the video (the day before the stream) using an AP scenario and really enjoyed it. What was very cool, however, was arriving at Ebbsfleet and very obviously leaving the local lines and switching to the high speed lines. It looks very neat indeed with the AP track as the ballast changes colour and the huge concrete fences appear around the track. It feels different, because it is different. Taking that on through Stratford and into St Pancras I was just thinking ‘this route has sat there all this time and i never knew this existed’.

Given the amount of time it’s been in production, I really thought this is going to be very cool indeed on TSW2. It may even have made a nice video to show how Train Simming had come on over what is nearly a decade. Then DTG streamed the route and none of this is there. In fact, it’s a pale imitation of the route in TS1.

So, yes the walls and fences matter. Yes the ballast matters. Yes the life on the route matters. Yes the sounds definitely matter. It matters because it is the essence of the b l o o d y route.

Otherwise what is the point? We may as well just have some trains and drive them on a straight bit of track. Or better still, lets just have a TSW2 Test Track and put everything on that. Why not if all the other stuff is irrelevant?

The video will be up in 4K on Friday, before the TSW2 version releases. See for yourself and tell me then it still doesn’t matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 18
  17. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

But would you rather have 50 realistic, or 150 semi realistic

• Like Like x 2
  18. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Not sure what your point is. In this case we don't even have the full realistic timetable, instead we have the cut down Covid Timetable

• Like Like x 5
  19. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Oh geez, this looks really bad in comparison. A whole lot of detail is missing from the TSW 2 version.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the 20 minute video of Hoo Yard, thanks. Noticable that there were a couple of 395s (3?) and nothing else we are getting. Yet we already have the 66s, we even have a 37 and of course the goods wagons. Would be nice to have the maintenence of way consists too but even with what we have the possibilities are there.

I have spoken before about layers on UK and how they pale compared to German layers. I wonder if this is because most of the German content uses DB and in the UK pretty much every line is a separate operator? We are getting the southeastern trains and that is it, on GWE we get the GWR trains on ECW we get the Southern trains, so it is only the 66 that joins them together it is only the small yards and freight movements that are common. If you don't try and build that in then there will never be any of the synergies you get when you buy German content.

There was so much life in that video, albeit a day condensed into 22 minutes, but still as others have said some simply yard operations a few runs up and down, this would wake things up a lot.

Plus of course moving the 700s up the list of things to do...they were extremely prominent too.

Am hoping that in future we will get the rest of St Pancras, maybe it could be a hub where several routes meet and you can exit from one DLC to the other by going through the ticket barriers to another part of the station. Then the 700s from the lower platforms, London-Brighton etc and so on and we start to have a UK base of operations to start to build up life on routes and variety in the traffic seen.

• Like Like x 5
  21. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Another thing seen I noticed from the stream is that Ebbsfleet International is actually an in-game functional station. It might not have all the details and graphics, but you can notice the blue lines representing functional platforms.
    upload_2021-1-24_16-27-6.png
    This further makes me question, why the Javelin services to Ashford are not playable at least to this station. I wouldn't mind a nice 20-minute ride, maybe a 50-minute return trip from Ebbs. to London and back. It would also be probably the first functional multilevel station in the game IIRC.

Also, does anyone know how many services 465 will (and 700 would) add to the timetable if made by real-life schedule? Will the addition of 465 be a game-changer making this a lively route or is it something like DB 204 adding 7 services not interacting with anything else?

• Like Like x 9
  22. londonmidland

If I heard correctly, Matt said there are no plans to add any more services to this route in the future. Which suggests the 465 will just sub for the 375.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  23. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

This is so untrue, it's unbelievable. If they were to go into the texture of the track and change the colour it would change the ballast of all the track on the whole line to grey. If they wanted to just make the High Speed bit grey they would need to make a new track object with lighter grey ballast then go and delete and relay all the track that should be light. Laying track is also difficult enough when there is only imported terrain in the world, with much of the scenery now placed, this would be an absolute nightmare to do.

I'm not happy about the colour of that ballast either, but calling it a 20 minute job to do it properly is just plain wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Articuno

Class 700 would add 4tph between Rainham and Gravesend (2 going each way).

Class 465 wouldn't add anything it would just sub for the 375, the Victoria and Charing X (via Sidcup)-Gravesend services just won't be there because Gravesend is the only station on these services modelled on the route. I suppose they could add it as an AI to just sit in the bay platform but I mean not much point in that really.

The 375s are already adhering to a pre-covid timetable with 3tph each way (so 6tph total) on the Rochester - Faversham section. You can see this in the youtube SEHS reveal strem video when Matt is looking at the 375 services (its near the end of the video).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. andrew17798

andrew17798 New Member

They are polishing up aren't they?

26. ItsYa165

[​IMG]

This is Hoo Jnc. The whole route is more grey than brown...

Conclusion? Changing the whole colour is more acceptable because most of route is more grey (which is a 20 minute job).

• Like Like x 5
  27. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is that someone said that they would rather have less timtables but them be all realistic

• Like Like x 2
  28. ItsYa165

• Like Like x 18
  29. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Can you DM me your channel please, I'd love to take a look.

• Like Like x 1
  30. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

After watching the stream on youtube (where it should've been in the first place) watching the real life cab ride and having a run on the route in ts2021, I must say that the difference is quite ridiculous. The ballast is wrong in the tsw2 version but correct in the ts version of the route. If a guy can fix the ballast in a mod, then there is no excuse as to why dtg can't do that either. The overhead line equipment spreads between all 4 tracks in the hs1 section which is not realistic at all. The ts version has it set realistically. The sounds of the 375 is unrealistic and using the sounds of the 377 is still unrealistic. Hell the 377s sounds are unrealistic and people were asking them to improve the sounds on that train. Where are the sound barriers and the fencing. The ts2021 version has the sound barriers and fencing but in this route, they didn't model them. The lighting in Stratford International is unrealistic. It's too dark compared to reality. There is too much grass and branches next to the third rail. In real life those would be cleared away because if not, then the shoes would get damaged. The route itself does feel dead with the lack of passengers in the stations but that is the case for all the tsw2 passenger routes. What baffles me the most is the amount of resource dtg hade since they made this route in ts2021 in 2014 and I must say, they nailed that route in terms of making it feel accurate to reality with the environment so I do not understand why they couldn't do it with this route. There is no excuse. Fencing and sound barriers don't impact performance at all. Heck they have them modelled in HMA and SKA.

I must say though the modelling of the 395 are good. DTG seem to only get better when it comes to modelling trains but get considerably worse when it comes to get audio for trains. The level crossings are cool but I find them pointless if there are no cars that will go through them. Now before someone says cars will impact performance, routes such as hrr, rro and lirr do have Cars running along the roads in those routes and they run fine so cars would not cause a performance problem. Heck the lirr does have cars at the level crossings but dont move since the gates don't open.

Now most people who buy the route probably won't complain about ballast and scenery simply because they will think that's how it is since they either don't live in the area, haven't played or watch the ts2021 version, haven't done much or zero research on the route to point out the inaccuracies or simply don't care. But for people who have done research, live in the area and care then this will be a letdown and the complaints are justified. DTG keep saying with there routes that they make them as close to reality as possible. Of course they are not gonna get 100% accuracy, but the fact that the ts2021 version has the correct environment ballast and feel compared to the tsw2 version and the fact that they had so much reference from ts2021 makes this unacceptable and inexcusable even if there is a global pandemic.

This route will be coming out next week so it will have to go to Microsoft and Sony so they can do their QA process so it can be put in their stores to buy sometime this week so it wouldn't suprise me if alot of the complaints that were put here won't be fixed. Recent history has shown as well that alot of issues you see in the dev build do end up in the final customer production build and either get fixed months later or never get fixed at all.

The stream had me disappointed at the overall quality of the route. DTG seems to enjoy cutting corners where they can and not giving proper explanations as to why they do what they do. They say they listen to feedback but it seems they are good at listening but are not good at taking action hence the uproar from many customers in this thread. When a person says there is a problem, it either takes months to fix or it doesn't get fixed at all. I hope that if these issues are not resolved at launch, there will be a post release update to fix these problems and actually put an effort to get something as simple as ballast correct because if they can do it in the ts version of this route, get the environment correct in the ts version and if one guy can fix the ballast of a route in 20 minutes, then there is no excuse that they have as to why they can't do all of those things in the tsw2 version.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  31. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  32. ItsYa165

Exactly. There's really no excuse for the existence of different ballast colours per route. If I wanted to, I could've also increased the vibrance and brightness of the rails and sleepers so that the entire route would look like it was actually summer when you play on summer-clear. DTG so far has failed to recognise the significance of these small and easy changes that add up to a realistic representation of place identity.

• Like Like x 8
  33. Articuno

Yes but you changed the colour of all the ballast, DTG will have likely used the same track object for all the track, so you can't change the ballast of a part of it because it will change the ballast of all the track. You will have to delete the track that you want to put in lighter ballast and then relay it with the correct track object. Do you understand?

34. londonmidland

Well that’s entirely their own fault when building the route. They fully well knew what they were getting themselves into.

If they did it right the first time, there wouldn’t be any issues. Now it is going to take a whole lot longer to fix the ballast and track as they’ve stupidly used a single track type for the entirety of the route.

• Like Like x 14
  35. seatsea

seatsea Active Member

Even if that were to be the case, I'd rather have an inoffensive "neutral" balast for the entire route than something that really doesn't fit it at all, and I would genuinely be surprised if they don't have some mass selection options to change large quantities of assets at a time. I doubt an entire re-laying of tracks is needed.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Articuno

Yes I agree, they should've made two separate track objects in the first place, as they did in TS classic where you have two types of track one with a normal ballast and one with HS ballast.

I was just trying to say they can't really do it now unless they relay the high speed part of the track.

• Like Like x 1
  37. seatsea

seatsea Active Member

You're asserting something which I'm not sure if you know is entirely true.
    I have no way to disprove you but I feel like you're giving them an excuse when it isn't really deserved.

I like a lot of DTGs work, they've raised the bar in the fidelity of Train Simulation in a number of ways. There's a lot of motivated people in the company who want to do awesome stuff, see their favorite trains on their favorite lines. But the blunt reality is that they're a company out to make money, if we don't hold them to a standard, they don't have much incentive to do so as long as they can make money out of it.

• Like Like x 5
  38. Articuno

If it was easy as doing it in 20 minutes, it will be done by the time of release, hell I've no doubt Matt would probably do it himself if that were the case, but it's likely not doable, to be frank.

Also I'm not giving them an excuse, I'm trying to stop people on here getting the wrong information and then getting themselves riled up over the wrong information.

If they've laid the whole route with the one type of track object, with the one ballast texture, they can't choose to then recolour it, it will affect all of it, they'd have to create a second track object with a new texture with the different ballast colour, then delete the old parts they want in the new colour and relay it. Yes you can go and mod it, but changing that texture will only change the ballast in all the track, as ItsYa165 has done above, but you won't be able to pick what parts of the track you change the ballast colour.

39. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah... like they are going to fix it... LGV is still the same ballast-wise after 1 month of release, if they fix this route, LGV should be fixed as well.

As I said, LGV was launched in a worse state than this route and has been a success as big as HMA, so why should they treat this route differently? Why is SE HS causing so much outrage while it's just more of what we've seen on LGV... if not better.

Longer Routes (and possibly Autogen) = Low quality

• Like Like x 1
  40. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
  41. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Because UK routes are probably more popular than French routes, especially if you consider that there’s only one French route that people may not be interested in even if they do like French rail.

There’s also the fact that more people on this forum are more likely to be familiar with this route than they are with LGV, so where with the LGV you’d have to pick out photos and other reference to show what’s wrong, on a route you know you’re probably going to notice the missing and incorrect things more immediately.

• Like Like x 6
  42. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's the point, I really hope you guys manage to get things changed about this route because right now it's in the same "meh" state just like LGV... but it just seems ridiculous, for LGV there were some smaller discussion which eventually just died off, yet here this whole thing is blowing up. Again, if they found the time to make the scenery and ballast better for SE HS, then they would have no excuse to be unable to do that on LGV.

I still think that is not the case and there is a good reason behind the decisions they took for the lack of decent trackside scenery and the ballast.

• Like Like x 1
  43. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Personally I stayed away from LGV, I’m not familiar with the route in real life and while I would of liked a TGV, that route did not look good, I can’t speak to any inaccuracies however the general look of the route felt low quality.

I did bring up the fact that too many people bring up issues with a DLC and state their disappointment, but in the same paragraph say they’ll buy it anyway, it is obviously free choice to buy whatever you want with your money, but why would DTG change anything If an inaccurate low quality route sells as well as a good route.

You’re right about the conversation dying off after a release, and we’ll probably see the same with this DLC, personally if we don’t see improvements I won’t be purchasing, which is unfortunately becoming a common thing for me with TSW 2 DLC, I just feel like the quality is getting worse and worse.

It’s really upto the player base how much they want to show DTG that they’re unhappy with the quality and effort put into their content, and it’s upto to DTG to decide if doing anything major is worth the few extra sales and customer satisfaction.

• Like Like x 5
  44. ItsYa165

Did you even look at the picture of Hoo Jnc? Most of the route is grey as it is. So just make the whole thing grey because it's better than making the whole thing brown. Do you understand that logic?

• Like Like x 7
  45. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree, at the end many of us that had a problem with LGV either didn't buy the route or decided to just accept the various mistakes in the scenery, and centenary and ballast and just enjoy it for what it is. Which is exactly what I was expecting from this route, a "meh" product with slightly inferior quality to the TS version with a decent Class 395 and a copy of the ECW 377 as a 375.

The same way I got some enjoyment out of LGV I think will enjoy this as well (or more since I'm actually less familiar with this route compared to LGV Med), but anyway I hope you can manage to get things changed and improved, especially if this will result with generally higher quality routes.

Personally there are bigger issues to me, for example the lack of layers on HMA is a much larger issue, or the whole BR101 saga, and I am making sure to stay away from those DLCs for the exact reason you mentioned.

I was only trying to say that it would be odd if this route would get changed after similar complaints about LGV seemed to be largely ignored.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  46. Huntlosen

Huntlosen Active Member

My biggest concern is the Timetable . Why just one train per hour between 12 and 2 to St. Pancras? Why the regional trains to Victoria not run at a 20-minute cycle as in reality in the year 2019 (a non Covid Timetable). ECW, is so popular because of the real timetable, where you have every 10 min a train between Lewes and Brighton. SEHS feels compared so empty.

• Like Like x 4
  47. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I wonder if people don't buy the route and people high up who don't read the forums/feedback decide it's because people don't want high-speed routes and not authorise further ones. I wouldn't put it past an out-of-touch manager to do that.
    I personally won't be buying it because I'm simply not interested - I only own the TS1 version because it came in the TS2014 base package, which is when I jumped in.

• Like Like x 5
  48. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Actually I have thought of something feedback wise. When Matt showed the railway crossing the scalextric cars sped up, emergency stopped, did a 90 degree centre pivoted turn and carried on. Looked awful

• Like Like x 4
  49. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I don't think any of the issues here will be addressed, unfortunately it's the DTG way, we'll be told that they hear us and that will be the end of it.

If things like track ballast and overhead wiring do get sorted out, it will most likely be in a future route, and we won't see it be implemented on previous routes.

• Like Like x 5
  50. Articuno

Lol so you've changed the subject now you realised you can't do what you said you could in 20 minutes, seems like you did not understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.