More Time To Set Up The Cab At The Beginning Of Timetable Runs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mr heff, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

There isn't enough time to turn on the safety systems and set destination boards before scheduled departure on timetable mode services.

• Like Like x 35
  2. will123325

will123325 New Member

I agree and it can mean your service is delayed all the way to the destination,this happens alot when you take over an AI service.

• Like Like x 3
  3. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Yes, we need more time! For example on Gwe u ha e set up the cab after doors have closed, which makes u late

• Like Like x 2
  4. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

To start you 60 to 120 seconds before it currently does would be very helpful. I find myself setting up on the roll but this means I cannot properly observe speed limits and signals.

• Like Like x 2
  5. formulabee#1362

Yh, especially if u are setting up the class 377 with all safety systems enabled

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Why don't you spawn in on foot 5 minutes before you need to. If you're running late with setting the cab up, you're faffing about! It doesn't take more than 30 seconds to turn the safety systems on in a 377.

You've also not got to worry about loading or unloading as the game has already done that for you, and if you have got to do that, you open the doors and set the cab up while it's loading/unloading.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I think your statement is hardly universal. Setting up a consist on SPG takes a bit of time and if you spawn on foot, you may not get the loco you want. Not trying to start an argument, just throwing in my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to SPG, the comments where referring to passenger trains on routes, which are timetabled.

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I know. As such a change would impact all services though, I felt it fitting to share other perspectives as well. I would like to depart Cumberland (for example) at the scheduled time, which is only possible if you spawn earlier. This of course applies to all freight services, while passenger services have the advantage of starting with some waiting time.

As I said, I'm not trying to start an argument or cause trouble. I'm just trying to show how this change could (depending on your point of view) be of advantage to the entire player base, not just passenger services.

10. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Fully get your point of view, but the freight only routes of SPG etc don't really have a timetable. They are in theory a closed railway only open to that operator, so delays can occur and not have a knock on effect.

11. formulabee#1362

Think about console players, we have less shortcuts

12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I'm a console player and can get the 377 ready to go in under 30 seconds with all safety systems enabled!

13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

With keyboard shortcuts, yes. But if you happen to like manually operating the cab controls...?

14. DVerhaaff

DVerhaaff New Member

I usually manage to open the doors, activate all four systems and sit back down before people are done boarding on the XBox.
    But it would be nice to have a bit of extra time.

Another idea would be a setting that allows for some or all safety systems to be active on start of a service.

15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It would be nice not to constantly feel you are late for every shift! I like taking over services on timetable mode after doing another one, you often have 5-10 mins and can leisurely stroll around setting everything up its a nicer relaxing feel.

• Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

It's completely immersion breaking to go through an insane sprint to get everything set (including sometimes a computerized FIS) in the tiny window of a load cycle. That is NOT how it's done in the real world!
    Yebbut- so long as the timetables are derived from the real ones, then these times would be scheduled in already.

Just one example: On Bakerloo, 226D09 terminates at Harrow & Wealdstone Platform 1 at 12: 39. After 35 seconds to offload, it continues northwest to the H&W centre siding, where it stops and waits for 13 minutes. It then switches lights, changes the desto board to Elephant & Castle, becoming 226D10, and rolls up to H&W Platform 2, southbound, at 12:54 ready to load passengers.

Surely, when you play the 226D10 the game should drop you into the cab sometime in that 13 minutes of idle time? Certainly it would not disrupt any AI services at all; the train's in a siding. And in fact that is where the game drops you in--- but at 12:53, giving you all of 60 seconds to get set up and reach Platform 2 (which takes 60 seconds of travel time). So why the devil can't they start you at 12:50?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

I suppose it's because any earlier drop in time would have to be universal, and that would not be feasible. Yesterday I did a rush hour service from E&C to Queen's Park (I forget the number but it was around 4 or 5pm). Upon arriving at the Queen's Park siding about 30 seconds late with another rush hour train right behind me, I had about two minutes to shut down the cab, go to the other cab, and set it up. I actually would've had more time if I picked the next service off the menu and started in the correct cab! At least for Bakerloo, unless they have a way to change the drop in time depending on what's physically possible (can't drop into a train 5-10 minutes early if it isn't there), they have to make the setup time the shortest possible time on the whole route.

18. solicitr

I'm not quite following. Even with a turnaround, you got a whole two minutes, just to get rolling, which is a lot more than any Bakerloo timetable start gives you (35 seconds).

I don't believe that's the case. I think that for each scenario/timetable service the Scenario Start and Service Start are two different variables, and the length of time between them can be whatever the dev sets it to. Just like when you enter a driver's seat in free roam, and the message tells you that this service will begin at X o'clock.

Obviously you can't start a timetable job when the train hasn't arrived-- or can you? There are several scenarios where you have to stand on the platform and wait for the train to arrive (although IMO, if the designer intends a hot-seat takeover then the train ought to be in drop-brakes-and-go trim when you take over, just as if you really were replacing another driver mid-route)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  19. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed, although I've learned myself to just ignore the timetable and do things my own pace.

377 isn't the most time consuming train.

In my experience, most time consuming to set up would be the Class 31 pulling a Class 101 on Tees Valley. Apart from setting up the Class 31, you'd need to enter both cabs of the Class 101 to set up destination board, marker lights and coach lights. Sometimes they also have the Class 101 engines running, which I'd turn off because why else would you need a Class 31. You'd also need to take a look outside the train to confirm lights are set up correctly. If you want to do all this without running (which wouldn't make much sense) you'll be busy for 1 or 2 minutes before being ready to close the doors and depart.