Trainline Suggestion: Cambrian Coast Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jimnicebutdimm, Jan 24, 2021.

1. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

I've mentioned it before when asked in surveys etc what line I would like to see in TSW but, taking on board things said in streams recently, I thought I would improve my argument for why I think the Cambrian Coast Line (Machynlleth to Pwllheli) should be part of TSW2.

Trains:
    Class 158 (Transport for Wales) - currently running on the line from Pwllheli through Machynlleth and Shrewsbury to Birmingham International and a load of stations in between.

Class 97 (Network Rail) - used for track testing and hauling ballast and sleepers to various points along the line.

Various diesel trains - Charter trains

Black 5 (steam) - used to haul charter trains along the line before change in signalling system

If you want to set a year or 2 in the future, there's also the Class 197 which are going to replace the Class 158. You could set it during the change over so, you have both types of trains running

Signals:
    The whole line runs on ERTMS signalling with it in cab rather than trackside so, would add a new type of signalling for people to learn.

Randomness:
    Whilst there are definite stop stations along the line, there are also quite a few request stops. So, by putting some sort of random generator into the programming, you could have different journeys each time. This would add buzzing between the guard and the driver (which happens on trains now) as guard lets driver know if they need to stop at next station.

Level crossings:
    Certainly at Porthmadog and possibly at Barmouth, before leaving the station by crossing the level crossing as the train leaves the station, the driver has to push a button on the platform. Which would be something different.

Admittedly, I'm a little biased seeing as it's my local line but, I think it would be something different to the lines that have been done so far for TSW2.

UPDATE: If you wanted to do some static steam engines, you can see narrow gauge trains at Tywyn (Talyllyn railway) and Porthmadog (Welsh Highland Heritage Railway) as well as where the Welsh Highland Railway crosses the Cambrian Coast Line just outside Porthmadog.

Not forgetting all the scenery, as well as sights such as Barmouth Bridge, Castles (Harlech and Criccieth). not forgetting Snowdon (depends how far you do the draw distance).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. samuelbrookes1

samuelbrookes1 Active Member

I think this is a great idea.