Next Rebates??! :-)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hourglass71, Jan 26, 2021.

1. hourglass71

hourglass71 New Member

Hello,
    I am new to train simulation and just discovered TS2021 and TSW2. I arleady love these games !!
    I bought them both on steam and some DLCs during the last Rail Festival event that took place last week (finished on 25th january).
    Though, I'd alrealy like to know when the next promotionnal round is scheluded for.
    Indeed, the free french routes and scenarios I downloaded for TS2021 require stuff which is payware.
    I'm missing some DLCs (approx 10 of them) but I am not willing to pay as much, i.e. regular price.
    I found the contents overpriced and the 50% or more rebates of last week event were rather at a fair price.

Thank you for any hint about this.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Steam sales come round every few weeks, DTG store has sales in between so just keep an eye out

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It's not gospel but this usually predicts the big Steam sales fairly accurately:
    https://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

You can find Steam keys for older editions of TS in other sites. If you want an international collection of routes they're a good way of building one up quite cheaply.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Somebody else pointed out this site which shows if something is cheaper elsewhere and what the Sale price has been in the past
    https://isthereanydeal.com/

I think Easter might be the next Steam Sale

• Like Like x 1
  5. hourglass71

hourglass71 New Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

All DLC are compatible with all versions. There are routes from 2009 that work with 2021

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. JJTimothy

The only real distinction between different editions of TS is the bundle of routes it comes with- the core program is essentially free with any updates it does get being distributed to users through Steam as a matter of course. You could have trouble trying to run newer DLC on an older version of the core, if you had somehow managed to install one without updating the other, because it might be trying to use features that weren't there- older routes don't have superelevation on curves for example. With very few if any exceptions though older DLC will work with any version of TS because there's only one version- the current one.

If you bought a Steam key for TS2014 now Steam would install the 2021 core (or cores with the 64 bit version) but with the 2014 bundle of routes and, as A Ruscoe says, you'd be fine. The two DLC you link to are the same so, all else being equal, just get the cheapest. (IIRC TS2017 included a Hamburg route- is it this one?)

8. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

June according to that.

9. hourglass71

hourglass71 New Member

Thanks for your help. I spent this afternoon into trying to collect the missing routes.
    Fortunately I could order very cheap ones on some international cd keys websites.
    But I am still missing half of them and the only way is to wait for another steam rebate !!
    I hope there will be another one before june...

As per the compatibility of the DLC, my version is TS2021 so I think I can, for now, add any DLC without caring for its release date. Right ?

10. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

You can also use Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/. I've found them to be pretty good for older TS bundles (albeit only going as far back as 2016) as well as other minor add-ons. With Humble Bundle, what you spend also goes to charity which is nice.

11. inversnecky

If anyone finds a way of getting the North Wales Coastal let me know. Someone got an older copy of TS but it wasn’t the year advertised and didn’t have it.

12. hourglass71

hourglass71 New Member

13. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

It is included with the TS2018 bundle. You can get the TS2018 bundle from Humble Bundle (linked on post #10) and possibly other sites.

14. JJTimothy

Not judging but your social life and your wallet may both benefit if you pace yourself. You don't have to buy everything and you certainly don't have to buy it all at once.

I might well be misremembering but I'd an idea that a very few very early DLC could cause problems. Hopefully someone else can chip in on this. FWIW the oldest DLC I have are the US and Euro/UK Loco's and Assets packs and ECML North from the Railworks days and I've not run into any issues.

Excellent suggestion. The last big Humble Bundle deal was a bargain with several good to great routes and loco's. I've no doubt it started several fine collections.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  15. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Steam should be hosting a Lunar sale in February this year.

16. inversnecky

Managed to get TS2018 on Humble (some previous link suggested on another thread had zero licences left). Ok it was £24, but got the North Wales Coastal and a German and American route too.

17. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

There will almost certainly be a Lunar new Year sale on Steam in a couple of weeks, though it will be significantly smaller than the Winter Sale which is one of their two biggies each year. DTG also does their own periodic sales both through Steam, like their Festival of Rail that just ended, as well as sitewide sales through their own online DTG Store. In addition, every week there are a few different products on sale in the DTG store if you go to the store and click the Sale header. Right now it's some TSW stuff, but it's usually a route or two and a train or two to that go with that route from TS each week. Basically, you shouldn't have to wait more than a few weeks to find stuff you want on sale.

There are also third party CD Key stores online that sell Steam Keys for many of the DLC. One legitimate site that frequently has sales on their TS/TSW stuff is Fanatical.com. There are also some less legit CD Key resellers that exist in a sort of grey market. I won't suggest any of them for many reasons, many of them ethical.

A good way to build up a collection quickly and cheaply is to buy past editions of TS. For example, on Fanatical, Humble, etc you can get TS 2017, or 2018, or 2019. Buying these will get you what routes it comes with. Like right now I found TS2017 for $12 and it would get you South Wales, Marsaille-Avignon, Hamburg-Lubeck, and North Jersey Coast routes plus the associated standard loco/trains. Can't beat that.

EDIT: I just checked and Fanatical actually has all their TS/TSW stuff on sale right now with generally very deep discounts. They are like Humble, Green Man Gaming, etc. They are not a grey market reseller.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. inversnecky

Cheers Matt, when you get three routes for £8 or less by buying an old TS, it works out quite well!

19. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

Hi Matt,

just picked up ts17 cheap to get South Wales coastal so thanks for this!, will this only go to cardiff , if so, is there a way to get Swansea or would I need to buy the unbranded route now?

cheers
    Owen

20. inversnecky

21. JJTimothy

That would be the newly released version with Arriva branding removed.

22. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Those would happen to be Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco-San Jose and Mittenwaldbahn: Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Innsbruck, the latter bundled with the DB BR 442 'Talent 2' and a OBB2016 pack. Peninsula Corridor has a separate DLC to Gilroy that doubles the length of the route, but wait for a sale to upgrade it. You can also find Sacramento Northern going in the opposite direction from San Francisco.