Woodhead Class 506

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Jan 26, 2021.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi all...

Had a brief 20 minute drive on the scenario where you have to rescue a failed 506...

I quite enjoyed it albeit found several things difficult:

1. The darkness... I have the AP lighting pack installed so it seems to make things so much darker... Upon reaching the siding where the failed 506 was, I crashed into it at about 10mph as I failed to see it due to the lack of headlight (yes I know they weren't fitted in those days!!!), there was no lighting on the failed unit, no "dets" (detonators) laid down or anyone stood with a signal lamp to warn of the failed unit... Anyway... at least either unit didn't derail & I completed the scenario with 950 points!!!

The other thing I found strange was the lack of a speedo (really!!!???) and the cab light really frustrated me... I know they're not particularly bright but surely it's a bit brighter than a 5 watt bulb, which brings me to ask is it possible to "brighten" the bulb by adjusting the scripting???

As usual, any comments / suggestions are welcome...

Eric

2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Yes, I’ve done this scenario and really struggled with the darkness, trying to even see the failed MU in pitch black.

I’d seen a YouTube video of this done*, and it wasn’t nearly as dark, which I didn’t understand until your mention of the AP pack.

Yes, the lack of Speedo makes it harder to judge the 15mph limit in the station. I did ask about this somewhere, but it’s just experiential learning.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  3. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

Hi, I think rather it has to do with the Weather that comes standard with the scenarios. Woodhead in BR Blue uses 3D Weather and I personally don't like it very much as they lower the FPS and change the light. I also have the AP package installed, but it does not install the "Time of Day" in this route by default, which must be done manually by copying the AP "TimeofDay" files in the Woodhead folder (which maybe you already did it yourself ;) even so they have different names so you should change the name like WH route, it is well explained in the AP Weather Manual). If you did that does not change the weather, so the 3D weather will appear by default. The only way (it is what I do at least) is to make a copy of the scenario and change the weather with the editor to one of the AP package and so the annoying 3D weather does not appear. Maybe it could be one of the causes. I hope I have helped, a greeting

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So DTG make a Unit which was designed in the late 1930's and made in early 1950s which never had a Speedo and you complain for them making it correctly? (really!!!???)
    You could put the F3 HUD on which shows how fast you are going

5. ntypeman

Peter...

I meant it as a matter of fact that a unit never had a speedo fitted... I would have thought it would have been a requirement...

Its like me being stopped in a vintage car with no speedo & the policeman saying I was speeding but in my opinion I wasn't..
    Who would win the argument...???

Eric

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is a requirement now but not when these units were built - same as safety features on cars

7. ntypeman

but would they have not been retro fitted at some point and surely by the time they were withdrawn by 1984(?) they would have been compulsory...???

Eric

8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

How many times do we look at the speedo when driving our cars? Rarely for me unless I'm coming from a 70mph to a 30 limit.
    Mind you, I never drive over 20. ;)

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Grandfather Rights means if something works it won't be changed unless it has to be.
    That is why we still have Signalboxes around the country built pre 1923 but still in use.

Watch a BBC TV program called Antiques Roadshow where two people travel around the country in a Antique Car and a you hear the announcement that because the car was built before Seatbelts became mandatary the car does not have them.